Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what size allen key  (Read 742 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
what size allen key
« on: 15 June 2022, 12:03:23 »

Can anyone tell me the size, allen key I need to undo the rear driveshafts, to the hubs. Just to make sure I have all the tools, before I start. Got the nice job of replacing the bearings.

Thanks in advance
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: what size allen key
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2022, 13:46:08 »

I don't remember the size, as I use a large set of bits when I do them, although they're M8 bolts which should give a clue

Do you have tools to remove and refit the hub and bearing? That includes some robust pliers for the circlip.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2022, 14:08:43 »

It'll be either 7, 8 or 10mm. If you crawl under the car with a 7mm, it'll be 8mm. If you crawl under with an 8mm it'll either be a 7mm or a 10mm. Murphey's law applies.

If I were you, I'd get something like this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253418130398?hash=item3b00e5cbde:g:mogAAOSwnipWVXdJ

That includes both long and short allen keys. It also includes the Torx and XYZ bits which crop up all over the place. You'll need the XYZ bits to get the brake backing plate off.

The Torx bits are handy when you round off an allen headed bolt. You can then insert* the next size up Torx bit to get it undone.

If you just want the Allen/Hex bits, then this is a bit cheaper : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114836389351

Both sets are cheap and cheerful, and made of cheese, but they'll do the job a few times before they fail.

Insert*: Belt the B'jesus out of it into the (slightly too small hole) with the biggest hammer you can physically find. If that doesn't work, angle grinder is next. Resist any temptation to try "Easyouts". They will break off and leave you bu99ered.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2022, 14:10:52 by LC0112G »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2022, 14:32:52 »

Any internal wrenching screw benefits from a squirt of brake cleaner and cleaning out with a pick before you try a tool in it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2022, 17:13:54 »

It'll be either 7, 8 or 10mm. If you crawl under the car with a 7mm, it'll be 8mm.  ....

Unlikely to be a 7mm. Sets of Allen keys very rarely include a 7mm. Only place I've needed a 7mm is on front brake calipers ....
Doing the rear pads on my R Class I discovered there was such a thing as a 9mm!  >:( Needless to say I'd to order one!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2022, 18:23:20 »

It'll be either 7, 8 or 10mm. If you crawl under the car with a 7mm, it'll be 8mm.  ....

Unlikely to be a 7mm. Sets of Allen keys very rarely include a 7mm. Only place I've needed a 7mm is on front brake calipers ....
Doing the rear pads on my R Class I discovered there was such a thing as a 9mm!  >:( Needless to say I'd to order one!
Fronts are 11mm. Just because... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2022, 18:46:13 »

If I were you, I'd get something like this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253418130398?hash=item3b00e5cbde:g:mogAAOSwnipWVXdJ

That includes both long and short allen keys. It also includes the Torx and XYZ bits which crop up all over the place. You'll need the XYZ bits to get the brake backing plate off.
I believe you meant XZN bits which are also known as 'triple square' bits. (They have 12 points). The one for Omega backplates is M10 XZN long. Like this one. Though mine isn't an expensive Facom, I think it was about £6.50. Use the wrong bit and you will likely damage the splines in the bolt heads. That will be fun.

I don't think there are any XZN bits in the kit you linked to.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2022, 19:28:33 »

I believe you meant XZN bits which are also known as 'triple square' bits. (They have 12 points). The one for Omega backplates is M10 XZN long. Like this one. Though mine isn't an expensive Facom, I think it was about £6.50. Use the wrong bit and you will likely damage the splines in the bolt heads. That will be fun.

They're the ones just to the left of the bit holders

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2022, 21:24:58 »

They're the ones just to the left of the bit holders
So I saw, however the description doesn't say they're XZN/Triple Square bits, it just says "Spline". XZN has 90° corners, standard splines are 60°. XZN is popular on German cars. A standard spline might fit in but it won't have the maximum surface area in contact. A good fit is more important when trying to undo an old bolt that's maybe never been undone in 20 years. Not to mention corrosion.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2022, 13:20:07 »

Thanks everyone for the help.

Nick W, I have got everything sorted, was just correct size tool needed, for driveshaft to hubs. Now on order. :y
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2022, 14:00:01 »

:y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.