Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: U.K. Rail Strike  (Read 3703 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: U.K. Rail Strike
« Reply #60 on: 22 June 2022, 14:29:33 »

I agree with most of that.  :y
Considering his majority Boris should be half way through a new version of the Thatcher revolution by now.
It is said that he cant handle confrontation, and answers a lot of questions for me.

He likes to be liked too much.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22 June 2022, 19:17:20 »

Without furlough schemes the world would not have stopped.

As for all the positives suggested, that may have been true and valid earlier in the last century. But now? Nah.

Case in point, when I started my current post, we were given two 45 minute breaks. This overwhelmed the rest room, so they dropped it to two forty minute breaks.

You'd have thought that the world had ended the way people were carrying on.

In reality, we still get FOUR times the legal break allowance.

The unions may have established the concept of a legal minimum, but beyond that they serve no purpose.

Look how helpful they were to the agency employees at P&O Ferries.

Without the union involvement they probably would have been employed directly decades ago :-X

Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 22 June 2022, 19:53:56 »

As for all the positives suggested, that may have been true and valid earlier in the last century. But now? Nah.

Case in point, when I started my current post, we were given two 45 minute breaks. This overwhelmed the rest room, so they dropped it to two forty minute breaks.

The unions may have established the concept of a legal minimum, but beyond that they serve no purpose.

Without the union involvement they probably would have been employed directly decades ago :-X

so you think employers would still play ball without unions keeping them in check?

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 22 June 2022, 19:57:06 »

Thankfully neither of us has ever had to reply on any form of public transport during our working lives, personally I couldn't think of anything worse than travelling by train day in day out.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 June 2022, 20:00:40 »

Thankfully neither of us has ever had to reply on any form of public transport during our working lives, personally I couldn't think of anything worse than travelling by train day in day out.

I doubt it'd be worth me going to bed if I'd to travel 25 miles by bus/etc & get work by 0600hrs.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 June 2022, 21:19:30 »

so you think employers would still play ball without unions keeping them in check?
If they didn't, people would simply work elsewhere ;)

Contrary to the unions and media, companies aren't labour camps.

If you can't get another job then you should perhaps be more grateful for the one you have. You may even appreciate and enjoy it... Makes for a much better way to pass the days.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2022, 21:21:41 by Doctor Gollum »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 June 2022, 22:20:55 »

My current business is the first place I've worked with any significant level of unionization and honestly, the policies, working conditions etc don't vary in meaningful ways between the a union vs non-union environment.

When I worked at GKN, I know of one entire business in the US that ended up getting shut down and it was 100% down to union involvement and there was nothing the management could do to stop it. About 50 skilled workers lost their jobs overnight, but again, I doubt the unions' cared even one jot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 June 2022, 22:49:35 »

If you can't get another job then you should perhaps be more grateful for the one you have. You may even appreciate and enjoy it... Makes for a much better way to pass the days.

I could think of many many ways of spending the days rather than going out to work 3 days a week ..... but at 60 year old I won't be thinking of looking for another job any time soon. They say though that 'engineers' (sorry Mark  ::) ) are in very short supply.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2022, 22:54:47 by Andy B »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 June 2022, 23:09:52 »

Worked solidly for 51 years , can honestly say retirement is better not being answerable to anyone is worth far more than anyone could offer me.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 June 2022, 23:25:22 »

I last worked in a unionised workplace in 1988. At the time I was a 20 something firebrand TGWU shop steward who was going to change the world.  ::) ;D
My current employer (where Ive worked for 14 years) has given me a 12% rise within the last 6 months, also have free private healthcare, and I have the choice of an extra 14 days holiday or get an extra 14 days pay at Christmas.
The thing that probably meant most to me though was when I had to be late for a shift once because my wife had ben rushed into hospital just a few hours before.
When I got to work a half hour late, the Managing Director was waiting for me in reception to ask how she was and told me to take time as much time off if as I needed to.
That could be why I was pissed off when I had to take time off sick for the first time when I got Covid a couple of months ago.
Told to stay home for two weeks and got full pay for it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 June 2022, 23:40:19 »

In my yoot I lived in Londinium and worked in the City so had to put on a suit every day and get the train or tube in every day.  I hated it.  ::)

I think it was 1994 when the last major train strikes occurred? I was living in Charlton, SE London and to get to work I walked to Greenwich, through the foot tunnel to North Greenwich (about 3 miles)where I caught the automated driverless DLR train to Tower Gate and then walked to the office (about a mile-ish) which was back across the river near Borough Market. It took at least two hours and as it was a hot and sunny day I wasn't wearing a tie and wandered into the office with my jacket slung over my shoulder.

I passed the HR Manager on my way in feeling rather heroic, and he snapped at me "Smarten yourself up Mr ...... "  Effing knob!  >:(   

I was young and keen.   ::)   Funny the things you remember though.  ;D 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 June 2022, 23:52:01 »

Back to wearing a shirt and tie again, and actually a pleasant change...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 June 2022, 11:47:01 »

The union leaders also seem unable to accept that companies are allowed to turn a profit. Indeed, they need to turn a profit for future investment.

I said as much Steve in m post #47 ;D ;D
Lack of brain cells, etc.............. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23 June 2022, 11:50:32 »

Worked solidly for 51 years , can honestly say retirement is better not being answerable to anyone is worth far more than anyone could offer me.
I guess having spent most of your working life in the public sector, and during perhaps the golden era, you were in a position to very comfortably retire and have few money worries, and can enjoy it :).

I suspect many of my generation will have to be working a lot longer and be much less well off in retirement :(.

I worry for some of the youngsters now, many who are only putting a pittance into any kind of private pension or other retirement plan, instead having to take out 40yr mortgages and so on.  Although many of them seem to be able to have a new car every couple of years (leased?) and the latest iPhone 18 Pro Max Super+
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 June 2022, 11:52:55 »

Back to wearing a shirt and tie again, and actually a pleasant change...
I've never liked a shirt and tie.  Can't remember the last time I regularly wore one for work, must be 30yrs ago ;D.

I always kept a couple of spare shirts and ties in the office in case I had to do customer tours around the datacentre, or sales meetings.  Other than that, its been polo shirts and trousers for the last 30 years :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.