Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.K. Rail Strike  (Read 3702 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: U.K. Rail Strike
« Reply #75 on: 23 June 2022, 12:35:00 »

Used to work in engineering on m/c tools where wearing a tie could have been a safety hazard. Though a lot of older traditional guys always wore them.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23 June 2022, 13:16:58 »

Many moons ago (18-21 years old) I worked in a stone processing plant. The air was a cloud of stone dust as there were no extractors to clear the deadly dust from the building.

Later on the unit became short of space so giant lumps of uncut granite blocked all the fire exits. All us workers had to squeeze  sideways through a 2 foot gap in order to get onto the shop floor.

Myself and another lad asked the manager to move the slabs of granite. 'f*uck off Trotsky was. his reply'..... ;D

So, we contacted our union representative to drop him in the shit. :-X

We watched him walk into the glass pod that was the managers office. The manager then pulled out his favourite bottle of scotch and two glasses from his desk.

They spent the next hour laughing and joking and drinking scotch before the union rep left on wobbly legs.

Nothing was ever changed and it was no surprise to learn later that the union rep would turn a blind eye if he was bunged a few quid.

It made me realise we all need to rely on ourselves rather than hope other people have the solution. :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 23 June 2022, 13:35:11 »

I belonged to COHSE when I was in the Ambulance Service they were okay, however the POA in HMPS can only be described as excellent regarding the welfare of staff.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 23 June 2022, 13:45:59 »

Back to wearing a shirt and tie again, and actually a pleasant change...
I've never liked a shirt and tie.  Can't remember the last time I regularly wore one for work, must be 30yrs ago ;D.

I always kept a couple of spare shirts and ties in the office in case I had to do customer tours around the datacentre, or sales meetings.  Other than that, its been polo shirts and trousers for the last 30 years :)
Don't get me wrong, I am a jeans/T Shirt person, but have always had an aversion to wearing shirts with collars and no tie. Just isn't normal.  :D

It’s frustrating to see some people's idea of 'smart business dress' to mean a pair of deck shoes, 3/4 length chinos and a polo shirt with the collar up...
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 23 June 2022, 15:36:33 »

Many moons ago (18-21 years old) I worked in a stone processing plant. The air was a cloud of stone dust as there were no extractors to clear the deadly dust from the building.

Later on the unit became short of space so giant lumps of uncut granite blocked all the fire exits. All us workers had to squeeze  sideways through a 2 foot gap in order to get onto the shop floor.

Myself and another lad asked the manager to move the slabs of granite. 'f*uck off Trotsky was. his reply'..... ;D

We watched him walk into the glass pod that was the managers office. The manager then pulled out his favourite bottle of scotch and two glasses from his desk.

They spent the next hour laughing and joking and drinking scotch before the union rep left on wobbly legs.

Nothing was ever changed and it was no surprise to learn later that the union rep would turn a blind eye if he was bunged a few quid.

It made me realise we all need to rely on ourselves rather than hope other people have the solution. :y

Would have been retribution if one of said granite blocks had accidentally found it's way to in front of his office door. :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 23 June 2022, 17:30:23 »

Necking scotch during working hours was pretty common for management back then, as was calling the receptionist sweetie or 'darlin' and giving her pert little arse a friendly squeeze.......  ::) ::) >:D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 23 June 2022, 17:41:09 »

Worked solidly for 51 years , can honestly say retirement is better not being answerable to anyone is worth far more than anyone could offer me.
I guess having spent most of your working life in the public sector, and during perhaps the golden era, you were in a position to very comfortably retire and have few money worries, and can enjoy it :).

I suspect many of my generation will have to be working a lot longer and be much less well off in retirement :(.

I worry for some of the youngsters now, many who are only putting a pittance into any kind of private pension or other retirement plan, instead having to take out 40yr mortgages and so on.  Although many of them seem to be able to have a new car every couple of years (leased?) and the latest iPhone 18 Pro Max Super+

Fortunately I took notice of an Uncles advice when I was around 16 to make sure that I always had jobs with a good pension scheme, pretty sensible thing to do at the time & it has worked out well I've got to admit. It's okay for the youngsters to have all the latest gadgets but if they lack financial acumen they're fu**ed.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2022, 17:45:24 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 23 June 2022, 18:50:32 »

You can’t put an old head on young shoulders is so very true.
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 23 June 2022, 20:09:48 »

You can’t put an old head on young shoulders is so very true.
Nor would you want to. I can't imagine many 20 year olds being happy with a grandad head  ;D
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 24 June 2022, 00:16:04 »

Some would stemo😉
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 24 June 2022, 10:34:34 »

Necking scotch during working hours was pretty common for management back then, as was calling the receptionist sweetie or 'darlin' and giving her pert little arse a friendly squeeze.......  ::) ::) >:D

I had a manager who was a barely functioning alcoholic. He had bottles of Scotch stashed in his office, his car, and who knows where else.
He walked down the yard one day with a face like thunder and shouted "All you lot, up in my office in an hour, and dont be oppsin late".
An hour later we all marched into his office, he looked up from his desk and said "wtf do you lot want ?"  ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 24 June 2022, 14:28:58 »

Unions are just a bunch of greedy entitled leftie c unts.

Now that I will totally agree with you on DG as they certainly are! :y :y

What makes me laugh is how the Union bosses still come out to the press and talk in a really thick way.  With their working class accents, they try and sound sophisticated by using “serious” words to try and make themselves appear educated and clever, instead of talking normally in the way they would in any normal situation.  Maybe a silly point to bring up, but it is so noticeable as these people have been doing that certainly since the 1970’s, the era that they really belong to! ;D ;D

But it would all be a joke if only it was not a very serious, disruptive and catastrophic situation that is going to cause millions much distress and inconvenience, wasting millions of pounds per day for our economy. All because they believe their higher than average salaries need a 7% boost!

Bastards!! >:( >:(

Are you aware how  condescending this sounds, Lizzie?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 24 June 2022, 16:01:54 »

Unions are just a bunch of greedy entitled leftie c unts.

Now that I will totally agree with you on DG as they certainly are! :y :y

What makes me laugh is how the Union bosses still come out to the press and talk in a really thick way.  With their working class accents, they try and sound sophisticated by using “serious” words to try and make themselves appear educated and clever, instead of talking normally in the way they would in any normal situation.  Maybe a silly point to bring up, but it is so noticeable as these people have been doing that certainly since the 1970’s, the era that they really belong to! ;D ;D

But it would all be a joke if only it was not a very serious, disruptive and catastrophic situation that is going to cause millions much distress and inconvenience, wasting millions of pounds per day for our economy. All because they believe their higher than average salaries need a 7% boost!

Bastards!! >:( >:(

Are you aware how  condescending this sounds, Lizzie?

Just an observation really as you can say what you like. I just thought if Cameron and Osborne  had a conversation at the Bullingdon club it may have sounded much like that... ::) ::)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 24 June 2022, 18:18:50 »

I had a boss that drank at least a bottle of scotch a day,
given to mood swings,
someone bumped his car in the carpark and the paint was the same colour as my car,
explained that I didnt have a parking spot so had to park in the street being a lowly 18yr old

he exploded and grabbed me, until I explained if he didnt let go he would be leaving via the full height window.

I got a transfer soon after that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.