Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very close call...  (Read 1186 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
A very close call...
« on: 19 June 2022, 12:17:10 »

Decided to go out in the Omega to collect a chinese last night. Parked on the main road nearby, then walked away from the Omega towards the Chinese. Heard the sound an engine revving hard, followed by the screech of tyres as a nearby car set off and accelerating with its engine screaming in presumably first gear. Turned to look to see what was going on, and saw a Vauxhall Crosland mount the footpath behind the Omega, but thankfully it swerved round it, back onto the road and swerved into a nearby side street, colliding heavily with a parked Seat Leon, which was shunted into a Vauxhall Corsa. Extensive damage was caused to the Crosland and Leon. The Crosland ended up across the road, the driver got out and sat on a chair in the small front garden of a nearby house :o. I hung around as no one else had witnessed it, or could say who the driver was. The 'after the event witnesses' soon appeared. Funny how people who have no idea how to handle a situation such as this want to get involved....
Thankfully, no one was hurt. But how close my Omega came to being written off - too close for comfort including myself too for that matter, as I was on the footpath behind my car when it all started. I would have been truely gutted if he had smacked into my car - it was that close.......
I've got my own thoughts on the reasons why the driver was driving in that manner, but that is for the Police to sort out.
At least the Omega lives for another day..... :y
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: A very close call...
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2022, 12:41:54 »

Decided to go out in the Omega to collect a chinese last night. Parked on the main road nearby, then walked away from the Omega towards the Chinese. Heard the sound an engine revving hard, followed by the screech of tyres as a nearby car set off and accelerating with its engine screaming in presumably first gear. Turned to look to see what was going on, and saw a Vauxhall Crosland mount the footpath behind the Omega, but thankfully it swerved round it, back onto the road and swerved into a nearby side street, colliding heavily with a parked Seat Leon, which was shunted into a Vauxhall Corsa. Extensive damage was caused to the Crosland and Leon. The Crosland ended up across the road, the driver got out and sat on a chair in the small front garden of a nearby house :o. I hung around as no one else had witnessed it, or could say who the driver was. The 'after the event witnesses' soon appeared. Funny how people who have no idea how to handle a situation such as this want to get involved....
Thankfully, no one was hurt. But how close my Omega came to being written off - too close for comfort including myself too for that matter, as I was on the footpath behind my car when it all started. I would have been truely gutted if he had smacked into my car - it was that close.......
I've got my own thoughts on the reasons why the driver was driving in that manner, but that is for the Police to sort out.
At least the Omega lives for another day..... :y

I wouldn't hold your breath. ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2022, 13:45:34 »

A near miss indeed :o :o

Glad all is well for you :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2022, 18:26:37 »

A lucky escape
they say "it's just a metal car ,easy to replace " yes ,if you want any modern car ,
 not so easy to find a tidy sorted Omega though  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2022, 21:04:58 »

A lucky escape
they say "it's just a metal car ,easy to replace " yes ,if you want any modern car ,
 not so easy to find a tidy sorted Omega though  ::)
And why I rebuilt mine twice. The 'sorted' bits are all service items that wear out on anything if you own it long enough.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2022, 21:24:26 »

A life time ago I watched as a parked car on the other side of the road rolled downhill and into the back of my Corsair (told you it was long ago, my 2nd car) , did no damage to mine as that when cars had real bumpers!!

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2022, 11:07:03 »

The Omega would no doubt faired better than the Crossland had they collided, as it was going at a fair speed, but there would have been no doubt it would have been written off had the worst happened. Had it been on a classic car insurance policy, in some circumstances there is option to keep the vehicle for a reduced payout. Not ideal, but better than a miserly payout. Thankfully, it didn't come to that....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2022, 16:12:06 »

A proper repair is easy enough as long as you have a couple of donor cars and the imagination to strip it down to the individual component panels to replace all the damage.

This takes time and effort, hence most cars are written off, usually because they won't pay for someone to spend three days drilling spotwelds.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2022, 20:40:22 »

Rear quarters are a bit trickier then most of the other panels though.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2022, 21:03:21 »

Not so much ;)

Estate one is relatively straightforward. Saloon a bit trickier, but certainly not challenging. Hardest part is removing the rear screen ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2022, 11:19:55 »

Not so much ;)

Estate one is relatively straightforward. Saloon a bit trickier, but certainly not challenging. Hardest part is removing the rear screen ;)
And once the outer panel is removed, the rest becomes much more accessible  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.