Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall Senator 2.6 Cdx auto.  (Read 2992 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall Senator 2.6 Cdx auto.
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2022, 13:19:56 »

Only ever had the 12v Senators a chrome bumper one a couple of the later plastic bumper ones[one of which was a 2.5 manual] and then a couple of Senator B's,but I'd take one of those over an Omega any day of the week.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2022, 14:19:15 »

And mine…….traded in for an Omega.

Should have kept it with it’s 3.0 engine, and a great feel about the whole car.  It was far easier to work on as well than the Omega’s I have had since.  No cam belt changes, plenty of room around the straight 6, and a lack of electronic sensors everywhere! :o

;)

Only downside is the weak timing chain and lack of chain guide availability
Never had a Senny B myself but did have two Carlton Diamond Estates, both 24V and a 12v GSI manual.

That was not my experience, with my example getting to 240,000 miles without a problem.  Indeed, my Vauxhall dealer at the time stated they NEVER had to replace the timing chains on the Senator with them knowing examples going to 350,000 miles without trouble.  They may have gained a bit of a rattle, but never failed.

A bit different that's for sure on the Omega's timing belt having to be replaced very 40k miles or 4 years.  I would have my Senny back tomorrow! :D :D ;)
The original 12 valve had a duplex chain, when they added another cam to make it 24 valve, they replaced the crank duplex sprocket with a simplex sprocket which drove a duplex sprocket on one cam. Another simplex chain drove the other cam from the duplex sprocket.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2022, 15:40:33 »

That was not my experience, with my example getting to 240,000 miles without a problem.  Indeed, my Vauxhall dealer at the time stated they NEVER had to replace the timing chains on the Senator with them knowing examples going to 350,000 miles without trouble.  They may have gained a bit of a rattle, but never failed.

A bit different that's for sure on the Omega's timing belt having to be replaced very 40k miles or 4 years.  I would have my Senny back tomorrow! :D :D ;)
Wasn't the chain (although they could wear if the car was poorly serviced), it was the guides that wore and sometimes even broke.  Bit of a faff to replace them.

The cambelt on an Omega isn't too bad, mostly because its easily accessible with just the removal of a few parts.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2022, 17:12:24 »

pretty sure many chains where replaced by dealers under warranty after some failures early on in production
denoted by a paint dot somewhere on the engine ,can't remember where now  ::)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2022, 20:27:32 »

Yes, they had to get a stronger chain made

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2022, 10:45:03 »

There was a batch of bad chains, and these were replaced under warantee (by a dodgy method). I have a copy of the dealer recall notification dated May 1994. From memory the dealers marked the rocker cover with a blue dot of paint when this had been done. The letter says it was bad case hardening in the timing chain rivets for chassis numbers P1131527-P1222241, and engine numbers 01031600-01033000, so around 1400 engines.

I had a chain snap on the LC which was not part of the bad batch of chains, and that got expensive. It appears the failure mode is that the chain goes slack enough for it to climb up on one of the prongs of the cam sprocket, and as the snagged link goes over the top, the chain either stretches or snaps a link. The method of the chain going slack enough for this to happen is either the curved timing chain breaking up, or the hydraulic tensioner not working properly. The tensioner is pressurised by engine oil through a very small hole. If the plunger seizes or the hole gets blocked by crud in the oil, then it stops working. There are also instances of cars running rough due to the cam chain jumping a link on the sprocket and then throwing the timing out.

Whilst snapped timing chains on C30SE and C36GET weren't that common, they are/were a thing to be aware of.  Regular oil changes reduces the risk of the tensioner getting blocked with crud, and removing the tensioner occasionally to check it is still free to move (say at 15-30K mile intervals) is IMHO the best way to be safe.

AFAIK it was never a problem on the 12V with it's duplex chain.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2022, 10:51:30 by LC0112G »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.