Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

ignition barrel

(1/4) > >>

robson:
further to my recent post my barrel has locked again.I have tried spare keys but no joy.I had a new barrel fitted about 6000mls ago barrel from GM.Do I have to get locksmith out again.and will gm supply a new barrel to suit my keys.  any ideas.

dave the builder:
Have you tried turning the steering wheel side to side while turning the key ?

robson:
Yes but no joy I will try in morning when cool :y

Nick W:

--- Quote from: robson on 10 August 2022, 17:12:10 ---further to my recent post my barrel has locked again.I have tried spare keys but no joy.I had a new barrel fitted about 6000mls ago barrel from GM.Do I have to get locksmith out again.and will gm supply a new barrel to suit my keys.  any ideas.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure it's the barrel that's locked and not the pin that locks the steering wheel? That's what jiggling the wheel while trying the key actually 'fixes'. This is most likely if the fault occurred without any previous symptoms. It was a very common job on Vauxhalls in hot weather when I was a recovery driver. Sometimes the cooling action of a healthy squirt of contact cleaner into the lock and the column shroud was enough to release what was jammed.

Vauxhall ought to supply a new barrel matched to your key, but it will cost more than a random one and take a while to be delivered.

Some things to do from now on:

Never engage the steering lock!
Always park with the front wheels straight.
Never park with the front wheels touching the kerb.
Slim down the keyring with your car key on it - do you really need to carry every key you own all the time? A collection of sharp metal objects hanging near you knee won't be any good in a crash either.
Locks should be lubricated by a tiny amount of graphite powder applied to the key - a couple of strokes from a pencil is enough. Do that after you've cleaned out the residue of whatever is in there now.

robson:
Thanks Nick for the post  I must admit that I thought that it might be the steering pin but I cant release it by moving the steering wheel.Does this mean barrel drilled out to get to the locking mechanism.Tried again to release today whilst cooler but no go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version