Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 5822 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Battery drain
« on: 22 October 2022, 11:11:05 »

Hello peeps, been a while.
Hope everyone is okay

Omegas been off the road for 9 months and recently been draining the battery down to near enough nothing.
Before I jump in, what number /  which TDU controls the timed tag lighter ?

Tia

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Battery drain
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2022, 12:08:31 »

It's the consumer relay, but off the top of my had I can't remember where it lives :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2022, 12:10:29 »

That said, on top of the battery, Fuses 5 and 6, large ones, feed all the interior gubbins, so pulling both of those will kill anything stuck on stone dead.

Just make sure that the key works the tailgate lock for entry purposes ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2022, 13:38:30 »

That said, on top of the battery, Fuses 5 and 6, large ones, feed all the interior gubbins, so pulling both of those will kill anything stuck on stone dead.

Just make sure that the key works the tailgate lock for entry purposes ;)

Yeah already found out about the tailgate the hard way.
Battery was down to 4 volts so I’m thinking it’s damp around the
starter / alternator.
Just replaced the battery.   Dash lights okay,  no codes, fuel pump priming,
Just not turning.   Just emptied my WD40 on any electrics underneath and I’m gonna get a hot air gun wafting around underneath later if I get chance

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2022, 17:00:44 »

Firstly, once a battery has been allowed to discharge, its oppsed. How oppsed depends on how excellent it was before.

Secondly, WD40 is really bad for electrics, as the oil in it acts as an insulator.  Use a water displacer designed for electrics.

Lastly, consumer relay is up under dash by base of A post
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2022, 17:02:11 »

And fourthly, an Omega with a very good battery will completely discharge in around 4 weeks. That's normal.  That's why the dear Lord invented battery maintainers ;)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2022, 17:34:29 »

Mine occasionally discharges its battery in around a week, and I dont why.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2022, 17:35:47 »

Mine occasionally discharges its battery in around a week, and I dont why.  :-\
Then (assuming the battery is good), that's a fault, and the consumer relay is a bloody good place to start.
Grumpy old man

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2022, 17:47:48 »

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=126622.msg1615322#msg1615322

I once measured 0.014Amps. Theoretically 0.014*24*30=10Ah in a month if I calculated right (usually not). Then I could guess 4 months instead of 4 weeks but not tested.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2022, 12:38:21 »

Thanks for the replies
Had battery (europarts special) on slow charge all Saturday night and by Sunday morning it would only hold 11 volts so blagged another one under warranty.
Had a quick look this morning before work and voltage hasn’t budged at all but still not turning over.
I’ll get it up in the air and see how many volts I have across the starter solenoid when I get chance / and it’s daylight and let you all know  :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2022, 12:40:46 »

Firstly, once a battery has been allowed to discharge, its oppsed. How oppsed depends on how excellent it was before.

Secondly, WD40 is really bad for electrics, as the oil in it acts as an insulator.  Use a water displacer designed for electrics.

Lastly, consumer relay is up under dash by base of A post

It’s actually PX24 which we used to use in the military.
Always thought that and WD was the same thing

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2022, 17:22:32 »

this is true and even if a once good battery does recharge it will never be as good as it once was.
before changing my (believed good) battery on mine last year the car could happily sit untouched for 2 months and would start fine .after a draining issue later in the year a new one wasfitted and a noticeable difference was observed in starting speed.
mine has now been stood untouched since beggining of sept and will be fine next week when i retax it.
9 months however would definately flatten and damage a good battery.!

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2022, 13:38:22 »

If leaving an Omega unused for a few weeks , I either disconnect the negative battery terminal, or just lock it from the driver door button, accessing it via the rear door, therefore not activating the alarm, which, on mine, is the main culprit of the battery drain during a good few weeks of inactivity.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2022, 17:16:33 »

removing neg terminal yes would guarantee no problems but to be honest mine is ok after 2 months easily and so are my classics. my viva can sit untouched for 6 months and start ok but there are no items on that to drain the battery anyway.
batteries are a funny thing.
i bought a few bosch batteries back in the day  and didnt find them to be particularly long lasting. maybee 2 or 3 years max.but strangely enough (and i have absolutely no idea why) i bought a NO NAME / unheard of battery back in the very late 90's and that battery is still alive and well now.
i also have an optima red top that i bought in 2006 for a small fortune that is still alive so that just shows that batteries are a mysterious breed .
i know most of you wont beleive my last two statements and thats ok ,i dont realy beleive it either but its true !

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2022, 19:51:11 »

I do Chris! I bought a Triumph 2000 in 2010 that had a 096 Drivemaster battery fitted. I have kept the car in several garages since but I never charged the battery in these periods of inactivity (very remiss of me really ::) but the battery is still going strong to this day and is still holding charge and starts the Triumph with no problem. It has an electric clock which is the only physically drain on it, but I certainly can't complain. I don't know who even makes Drivemaster but possibly other example of premium makes not always being better....
Just been to out to check it, and bearing in mind the vehicle hasn't been used for over 6 months, it is still showing it is 90% charged.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2022, 20:19:13 »

I do Chris! I bought a Triumph 2000 in 2010 that had a 096 Drivemaster battery fitted. I have kept the car in several garages since but I never charged the battery in these periods of inactivity (very remiss of me really ::) but the battery is still going strong to this day and is still holding charge and starts the Triumph with no problem. It has an electric clock which is the only physically drain on it, but I certainly can't complain. I don't know who even makes Drivemaster but possibly other example of premium makes not always being better....
Just been to out to check it, and bearing in mind the vehicle hasn't been used for over 6 months, it is still showing it is 90% charged.

Thought for one horrible minute that you were going to say that the bugger was flat. ;D

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2022, 20:45:45 »

;D ;D

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2022, 10:21:37 »

Similar issue on mine, I noticed a humming sound from near the drivers door. Does the relay get stuck in a position where it is drawing more amps than normal sometimes, sort of hanging between on and off, hence the humming? I used to be able to leave it for ages with no problems.  Hopefully the second Halfords battery will be replaced for free again...  I will just pull the neg in future when it is being left. 
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2022, 17:30:20 »

i also had a similar issue on mine a couple of years back with a strange noise. other people have had very similar noises / issues. mine was traced to a low short to earth/ damp probably in a blue wire entering the door harness connector. this wire was temporarily disconnected and solved the problem ( and didnt stop anything working) so has never been looked at or any issues since ? ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2022, 17:57:12 »

Similar issue on mine, I noticed a humming sound from near the drivers door. Does the relay get stuck in a position where it is drawing more amps than normal sometimes, sort of hanging between on and off, hence the humming? I used to be able to leave it for ages with no problems.  Hopefully the second Halfords battery will be replaced for free again...  I will just pull the neg in future when it is being left.
This is the most direct solution...

But...

Before you do, make sure that the key opens the drivers door lock and tailgate (if appropriate). Otherwise, good luck getting into the car to pop the bonnet to reconnect the battery.

Obviously if the car is in a secure building locking it might make this less important.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2022, 18:06:15 »

This is the most direct solution...

But...

Before you do, make sure that the key opens the drivers door lock and tailgate (if appropriate). Otherwise, good luck getting into the car to pop the bonnet to reconnect the battery.

Obviously if the car is in a secure building locking it might make this less important.
Thanks, it is in a secure building, but I'll be careful.  Might check out that blue wire thing too...with the window open!
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2022, 00:47:52 »

The letters in WD40 actually stand for Water Displacement.

It was originally developed by a Rocket Research Contractor to the US Defence and later for NASA, it was originally used as an preventative anti rust solution for the Atlas Rockets and also used on the outside skins for the Apollo Mission as an Water/Ice Desplacement just before lift off so any Fuel Ice Build Up would disperse within seconds after Take Off.

As TB points out its an Oil based product, purely as a it sticks rather than a lubricant, and any oil is an insulater to electrical contacts as oil acts as a insulater.

Some Airport Services in the Colder Regions also mix WD40 with the Antifreeze Solutions they use when Jet Washing Aircraft prior to take off to give some extra protection on their climb out.  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 December 2022, 00:49:35 by zirk »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 December 2022, 13:18:43 »

The letters in WD40 actually stand for Water Displacement.

It was originally developed by a Rocket Research Contractor to the US Defence and later for NASA, it was originally used as an preventative anti rust solution for the Atlas Rockets and also used on the outside skins for the Apollo Mission as an Water/Ice Desplacement just before lift off so any Fuel Ice Build Up would disperse within seconds after Take Off.

As TB points out its an Oil based product, purely as a it sticks rather than a lubricant, and any oil is an insulater to electrical contacts as oil acts as a insulater.

Some Airport Services in the Colder Regions also mix WD40 with the Antifreeze Solutions they use when Jet Washing Aircraft prior to take off to give some extra protection on their climb out.  ;)

Interesting  :y

Just for the record, never did got to the bottom of it.  Too bloody cold for my middle aged bones  :-X ;D
She is all wrapped up for the winter and i'll endeavour to get the old girl back up running in the spring  :y
Then i've got to see if I can find the money to keep her or move he onto a loving home  :)

Until then its down to driving this CR_V which like any domestic appliance, it just goes..........   :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2022, 20:06:51 »

My battery was flat as a witches tit this morning after being stood for two days.
Dont usually play parts darts, but might just chuck a new battery on and hope thats the end of the matter. Should have the receipt for the old one so will have a look, and probably realise its older than I think it is.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2022, 14:25:57 »

probably !
ive found the recipt for the "no name " battery of mine thats still ok and it was 1997 !
how i do not know but ? ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 December 2022, 15:57:23 »

A battery that is well looked after will usually last well :y
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 December 2022, 16:47:32 »

but 25 years ?  thats got to be a record .ive had bosch and varta that have only lasted a few.must admit im quite happy with yuasa now but time will tell !
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.