Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a thought - Car Reg Cloneing  (Read 1048 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Just a thought - Car Reg Cloneing
« on: 07 May 2023, 10:00:27 »

Just planning a trip to London, looking up charges etc.

I got to thinking and wondering how many cars/number plates were cloned to avoid paying charges.

Then started wonder if vehicles had a bar code for charges (with VIN number inc) and how efficient it would be.  Or maybe there is something like this in place as I am often behind on following technology these days
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought - Car Reg Cloneing
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2023, 10:24:47 »

Two or three stories in the press over the last month. One poor woman had to get money mail involved before the bailiffs would back off.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2023, 11:38:18 »

Easiest way to defend your car from being cloned is to fit a unique sticker to the inside of the windscreen. A workplace parking permit is a good example.

Have a clear picture taken of you standing next to the car, with the sticker clearly visible.

Then if you're ever accused of being naughty 300 miles away, then you can happily go to court and demonstrate that whilst it was indeed a similar vehicle, it was not yours.  ;)

Although, given your propensity to fall for various scams, it may be simpler to just not have a car in the first place.  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2023, 12:37:06 »

Easiest way to defend your car from being cloned is to fit a unique sticker to the inside of the windscreen. A workplace parking permit is a good example.

Have a clear picture taken of you standing next to the car, with the sticker clearly visible.

Then if you're ever accused of being naughty 300 miles away, then you can happily go to court and demonstrate that whilst it was indeed a similar vehicle, it was not yours.  ;)

Although, given your propensity to fall for various scams, it may be simpler to just not have a car in the first place.  :D
They don't take you to court though, do they? They just send you fines through the post, ignore your replies and then pass it to debt collectors.
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2023, 13:11:29 »

Oh, how cruel.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2023, 16:03:50 »

I could actually adapt to life without a car. I really don't use mine very much, but the Mrs does, quite a lot.
I'm in Brum soon for a few days. £8pd clean air tax, £20 per day parking, just paid £270 AA breakdown cover etc etc.
My son (well into his 30s) doesn't drive and seems to manage ok, but he does live in London.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2023, 16:39:47 »

Anyone who lives in London and has a car must like sitting in jams.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2023, 16:53:48 »

Anyone who lives in London must be soft in the head
You're not wrong.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2023, 18:34:19 »

………
I got to thinking and wondering how many cars/number plates were cloned to avoid paying charges.
……………

My sister’s registration plates were stolen in broad daylight in Tesco’s car park and put on a vehicle matching hers. She reported it to the police immediately but for quite some time afterwards her car had a ‘Mark’ against it. Every time she passed a police car or was followed by one fitted with ANPR, or whatever it is these days, she would watch them spin around to pull her over. It got very annoying for her and she only travels locally. The cloned vehicle was doing fuel fill ups and leaving without paying.  >:(
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2023, 20:32:10 »

One of my customers had this happen 25/30 years ago, speeding in London when he had never been there. Good job I was doing an MOT on his car the day it happened !!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2023, 15:02:02 »

I'm in Brum soon for a few days. £8pd clean air tax, £20 per day parking
Presumably central Brumingham, if you're getting hit for the stupid ULEZ.  I park all day for £2.50 on days that I really can't face the Chiltern Slug.  Which is kinda ironic that central city parking is a quarter of the price of parking at any Chiltern station.

Did I mention I detest Chiltern Railways with a passion ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2023, 20:16:54 »

I'm in Brum soon for a few days. £8pd clean air tax, £20 per day parking
Presumably central Brumingham, if you're getting hit for the stupid ULEZ.  I park all day for £2.50 on days that I really can't face the Chiltern Slug.  Which is kinda ironic that central city parking is a quarter of the price of parking at any Chiltern station.

Did I mention I detest Chiltern Railways with a passion ;D

Never go to any LEZ/ULEZ/CAZ areas unless it's for work reasons in which case work pays.

They can stick their towns and cities if they think i'm paying to go into them for non-work reasons, 99% of shopping can be done on line these days, I can't think of many other reasons I would need to go into one of those areas.

I suppose if I really had to drive into a zone for something urgent (hospital etc) I would use the Omega as it's Euro 4 petrol.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2023, 21:27:46 »

Likewise, except work won't pay for me to drive the half mile or so into the proposed Shithole tax zone.

That said I could move further away and commute in by air. Because that would obviously make much more environmental sense >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.