Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Software Apps  (Read 1029 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
PC Software Apps
« on: 07 May 2023, 16:49:13 »

Been backing up hard drives after backing up  after backing up etc. :-\

Renamed folders and multiple copies later I am down to my final shift and sort (Untill next time) :-[

Basically was wondering if anyone knew of a program to seek and detroy empty folders. ::)

Also once fully soreted am after a back up soloution to mirror my backup HD to another HD :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: PC Software Apps
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2023, 17:27:03 »

A lifetime of digital wank mags  ;D
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2023, 18:03:27 »

A lifetime of digital wank mags  ;D

You can wipe a screen, no sticky pages  ::) ;D ;D

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2023, 07:56:02 »

Last person that I heard ask this question 'had just bought a second hand laptop and wanted to make sure it was clean'

Two months later, he was charged with possessing indecent images of children.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2023, 15:04:10 »

Just format the oppser, and reinstall any required apps and data.  Far, far quicker than fikin' around.  And it speeds everything up.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2023, 17:04:14 »

I agree to a point, but there are multiple copies of files and folders full of XL & Word docs etc, and years worth of Photos and scanned Photos. most of which were renamed at some point and ening up duplated multiple times.

I had 6TB of storage when I started it was nearly full and  so far at least 50% recovered by removing stored Drivers (Multiple copies from backing up again + Sorting and sifting my photos and Dash cam videos))

Windows 10 had done well for a couple of years but is ready for a reinstall. but I wanted to try a reg/edit app to try and delete remnants of an ad block program I tried (It worked well but then they took more money off me for a VPN app that I never authorised and after removing it I still keep getting pop up reminders asking me to update.

I was going to build a new PC but with the cost of them I just did some upgrades, (Doubled the ram to 32GB and upgrade from 6GB to 12GB GPU.)

It was fun . . . . not .  . but necessary. :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2023, 12:58:38 »

6TB of shite is when you need to do some (manual) housekeeping.

Or bin the lot, as you never look at it anyway...

I'd argue that very few people genuinely have 6TB of data, are you sure you are just backing up data?  No point in backing up application code or transient data.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2023, 15:41:16 »

Fairly sure CCleaner does or did search for empty foldes, but CCleaner gone down hill a bit lately.

If you search back on OOF I did post up a really good Free Cleaner Link but i cant for the life of me remember the name of it at the moment (no lappy at Hand).

If its just the Folders you want to Kill Off fairly sure you do this with Win7/8/10 using advanced File Searching or simular.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2023, 15:49:27 by zirk »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2023, 16:18:47 »

6TB of shite is when you need to do some (manual) housekeeping.

Or bin the lot, as you never look at it anyway...

I'd argue that very few people genuinely have 6TB of data, are you sure you are just backing up data?  No point in backing up application code or transient data.

I had loads of Apps and Drivers stored in a folder and used as a central storeage type server as I could never find the setup CD/Drivers when required, Then scanned photos got added, and camera's were backed up.  But as I had a few computers files kept getting copied from PC to PC etc.

Being the lazy sod that I had I then just backed eveything up to an external hard drive.

Then one night an Ex was over and after having one drink to many she saw the extertal HD, asked all about it and would she need one to back her laptop up.  10 mins later she picked it up twisting it this way and that way, and it's never worked since, sadly she lost a load of pet pictures she ws after that I had taken .

So now I have 2 HD backups.

But yes after deleting the Apps & Drivers, getting rid of the duplicates storage dropped from 6TB ish to about 4TB

Dash cam vids equate to about 1.5TB some of which need to be kept, but another 1TB could be gained if required.

Another folder full of car clips has gone, plus a huge folder of jokes & memes that have been saved over the years. (Sadly that was accidental and could not be retrieved from the bin) some will be on another back up though))

But yes, I totally agree, Other that Personal photo's, video's and word/excel files I probably only have 400/500Gb of other stuff.

I have never downloaded films, otherwise there would be bigger drives required ::)

But as the original request, a program to sort/sift & detroy empty folder would have made the job more simple. :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.