Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rubbish" collections  (Read 2438 times)

feeutfo

"Rubbish" collections
« on: 10 April 2012, 11:56:15 »

No council can be as rubbish as Reading.

No wheely bins. Even though Reading council have had wheely bins for years.
Black sacks and black boxes for recycling have been the norm for years. We have nowhere to keep black boxes dry so they pess water all over your feet when picked up.

Then we get green sacks for garden rubbish. Recycling fortnightly alternating between garden sacks and black boxes, household rubbish black sacks are weakly.

Or where until recently. Contractors changed, so now they ask us to throw garden waist in bio degradable paper bags, which are never going to get wet "obviously" (FFS) which the bin men throw into wheely bins and then throw into the truck.
 This is now common for all rubbish. Mrs tells me all rubbish goes in a wheely bin permanently on the truck. THEN it's tipped.

We now have to buy blue sacks for household rubbish. Paper for garden. Anything else has a penalty. £££!

Just give us wheely bins!

Or are they a pita too?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: "Rubbish" collections
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2012, 11:58:02 »

No council can be as rubbish as Reading.

No wheely bins. Even though Reading council have had wheely bins for years.
Black sacks and black boxes for recycling have been the norm for years. We have nowhere to keep black boxes dry so they pess water all over your feet when picked up.

Then we get green sacks for garden rubbish. Recycling fortnightly alternating between garden sacks and black boxes, household rubbish black sacks are weakly.

Or where until recently. Contractors changed, so now they ask us to throw garden waist in bio degradable paper bags, which are never going to get wet "obviously" (FFS) which the bin men throw into wheely bins and then throw into the truck.
 This is now common for all rubbish. Mrs tells me all rubbish goes in a wheely bin permanently on the truck. THEN it's tipped.

We now have to buy blue sacks for household rubbish. Paper for garden. Anything else has a penalty. £££!

Just give us wheely bins!

Or are they a pita too?

Yep  :)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2012, 12:01:56 »

I have a teeny tiny green wheelybin - for non-recyclables.
A teeny tiny blue wheelybin - for recyclables (only we don't recycle glass so it's cans, paper and 'bottle shaped plastic' only)
And a gigantic brown wheelybin for garden waste - which now costs an extra £34 per year on top of the council tax to be emptied, or I can buy those brown sacks and not pay the £34.

It's a PITA - there's only one of me and I regularly manage to fill the wheelybins; next door with their 12983719283 kids and pikeytastic habits usually fill theirs to overflowing - thankfully the bin men still empty it and don't do the "If the lid isn't shut" thing or we'd be drowning in used nappies by now (yes, the rest of us down the road have had to scoop those up before now when an animal has torn open the overhanging black bag from their wheelybin!)..

Sorry, turning into a rant about my pikey neighbours, isn't it..  ;D ;D

jimac

• Newcastle upon Tyne
    • Vectra 1.9 CDTi [150] SRi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2012, 13:26:26 »

Well, I've got to say that North Tyneside council is brilliant for this.  We get 3 wheely bins: 1 for general waste, 1 for recycling and 1 for garden waste.  The recycling bin takes most things; paper/cardboard, tins, plastic (bottles, yoghurt pots, etc) and textiles, and there is a separate compartment in the top for glass.  The recycling bins get collected every two weeks and the general bins every week, but as we rarely fill the general bin more than halfway we just put that out every two weeks with the recycling bin.  The garden bin also gets collected every 2 weeks, but there is talk of charging £20/year for that.  If that comes in I'll go back to taking my grass cuttings to the tip.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2012, 14:18:03 »

I have a teeny tiny green wheelybin - for non-recyclables.
A teeny tiny blue wheelybin - for recyclables (only we don't recycle glass so it's cans, paper and 'bottle shaped plastic' only)
And a gigantic brown wheelybin for garden waste - which now costs an extra £34 per year on top of the council tax to be emptied, or I can buy those brown sacks and not pay the £34.

It's a PITA - there's only one of me and I regularly manage to fill the wheelybins; next door with their 12983719283 kids and pikeytastic habits usually fill theirs to overflowing - thankfully the bin men still empty it and don't do the "If the lid isn't shut" thing or we'd be drowning in used nappies by now (yes, the rest of us down the road have had to scoop those up before now when an animal has torn open the overhanging black bag from their wheelybin!)..

Sorry, turning into a rant about my pikey neighbours, isn't it..  ;D ;D

Love that word.!

I wonder just how much the councils charge to actually collect each week/fortnight from an address. As I have said before, I like the Spanish system. Communal collections from strategically placed large (4 cu mtres?) wheely bins. Households are responsible for depositing stuff in the different bins provided. Wouldn't work in Britain as you would never get agreement on where they would be sited!! Door to door collection seems a bit antiquated.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2012, 14:21:33 »

3 bins

One for recycling and cardboard as before it was cardboard and garden waste .
One for garden waste.
One for household waste .

All collected on a 2 week basis  >:(
Now that we have to put cardboard as well as recycled in one bin its full within a week  >:(
Pita never having enough room in the recycle bin now , and folks leaving bins all in the way all week never bothering to take them in . I was reversing and caught the gate post trying to avoid one bin so got out and threw it across the street  :P as it had been there for over a week  ::)

Bring back the weekly ash cart man who took the metal bin on his back and everything else that you asked them to  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2012, 14:24:21 »

Wouldn't work in Britain as you would never get agreement on where they would be sited!! Door to door collection seems a bit antiquated.

Yeah, plus the council surveillance state wouldn't be able to weigh everyone's bins to work out who's not recycling enough, etc. ::)

I reckon picking up one big bin would use a lot less diesel than stopping the rather truck every 4 houses, especially as they appear to be fitted with the TheBoy-patented "1-bit digital throttle control".
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ninjapirate

• dummer. hants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2012, 14:25:44 »

lol, its only me, but i have a large normal wheelie, and a green one, and some boxes for glass, normal collection every week, recycling every 2, and if i forget to put the bin out they even walk up the drive and get it  :y none of this stupid 'if the lids not shut' buisness either that ive had elsewhere.
And yes they still get a box of sweets at xmas lol 
wheres the smug smiley? lol  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2012, 14:28:17 »

and folks leaving bins all in the way all week never bothering to take them in

Ah yes, add that to the list of 'pikeytastic behaviour' (that's just for Varche's benefit ;))! That, along with not bothering to open their giant double gates and park inside their (enormous) drive but rather screech up to the gates and abandon their car half across my drive in front of their gates..  >:(

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2012, 17:05:40 »

I used to live in Crowthorne many, many moons ago. Back then we had only the metal bin but I do remember there being a lot of pikeys even back then in the 60/70's, mainly living in Owlsmoor.... seems they have spread a bit since then :D

So glad I live in Spain now, as Varche said much more civilised with the 'big' bins. Our little village has a standing population of approx. 350 and we have 4 sites with 5 big bins at each one, emptied every week and these are never full!

Re-cycling, well that depends on what is left 'outside' the bins, have picked up in the past a large slab of marble, 4 ft by 2 ft by 12mm (bloody heavy) but has been cut and made into door hearths and window sills, an old wood frame sofa that has become the place to sit in the back garden (suitably recovered) and plenty of old steel frames that have been cut up and re-welded into various supports and brackets, all for free as well!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2012, 17:52:39 »

2 wheelie bins here ('compostable' and household) emptied on alternate weeks. Yes, in the summer, it does whiff.

2 recycling boxes, like yours, emptying on your feet, again alternate weeks.

Except, as from last week, compostable mustnt now have cardboard - that has to be 'left out'. They are planning a 3rd wheelie bin for this next year.

Trouble with our refuse collection (South Northants), is the people that run it are the usual incompitent civil servants, with no common sense, unable to adjust to the fact I am their customer, not the other way around.

Being on the edge of the borough, we receive no services, esp as the council still haven't pulled their fat thumbs from their fat, polished arses, and adopted the road after 11yrs (which means we have the right to close the roads for parties, and tell the authourities to foxtrot when they try to close us down), so we effectively pay £1800 a year to have our bins emptied 26 times.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2012, 18:45:47 »

I used to live in Crowthorne many, many moons ago. Back then we had only the metal bin but I do remember there being a lot of pikeys even back then in the 60/70's, mainly living in Owlsmoor.... seems they have spread a bit since then :D

So glad I live in Spain now, as Varche said much more civilised with the 'big' bins. Our little village has a standing population of approx. 350 and we have 4 sites with 5 big bins at each one, emptied every week and these are never full!

Re-cycling, well that depends on what is left 'outside' the bins, have picked up in the past a large slab of marble, 4 ft by 2 ft by 12mm (bloody heavy) but has been cut and made into door hearths and window sills, an old wood frame sofa that has become the place to sit in the back garden (suitably recovered) and plenty of old steel frames that have been cut up and re-welded into various supports and brackets, all for free as well!

pikeytastic?!  ;D ;D ;D

Re-cycling, well that depends on what is left 'outside' the bins, have picked up in the past a large slab of marble, 4 ft by 2 ft by 12mm (bloody heavy) but has been cut and made into door hearths and window sills, an old wood frame sofa that has become the place to sit in the back garden (suitably recovered) and plenty of old steel frames that have been cut up and re-welded into various supports and brackets, all for free as well!  I you sure you haven't been "collecting this sort of stuff? Have you got a wooden clothes peg business? Do you eat hedgehogs baked in clay on an open fire? ;D ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2012, 19:13:55 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
Haven't had a decent hedgehog for ages!

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2012, 22:09:52 »

Being on the edge of the borough, we receive no services, esp as the council still haven't pulled their fat thumbs from their fat, polished arses, and adopted the road after 11yrs (which means we have the right to close the roads for parties, and tell the authourities to foxtrot when they try to close us down), so we effectively pay £1800 a year to have our bins emptied 26 times.

do you get the street swept? streetlights? we dont,
and we have a long private road to maintain.

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2012, 23:58:47 »

Apparently... £60 a year for brown bin or £1 a paper sack for garden waiste. 80 blue sacks a year.

Coincil tax, £1470 a year.

We do get the roads swept, but that doesn't deal with the weeds growing up the kerbs, and because we live at the end of a cul de sac we dont get anything swept as that's where they turn round in order to sweep the rest of the road. On one occasion driving directly over some spilt concrete dust the neighbours builders dropped, in the process.

"Oh, we can't sweep the end of the cul de sac, the trucks too big." oh... Reduction in council tax then, yes? Get ya rather broom out, lazy tinker!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.