Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: European driving requirements  (Read 3384 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: European driving requirements
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2013, 19:44:39 »

Belguim isnt really an option for me lazydocker. I'm leaving from belfast so will go from there to rosslare (bottom of ireland) and get ferry to cherbourg). Overall this will take less than 24hrs and the ferry is only 200 euro return for a van so thats the quickest cheapest way to mainland europe and then its basically a straight run down through france into italy onto sicily and across to malta. They are looking at a ferry from genoa to malta but it takes over 2 days and I would rather spend the 2 days driving and go through italy and sicily.

Quite complicated this continental driving lark but the headlights is the only  bit that concerns me so far. Hoping the hire company will be quite helpful as well.
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2013, 21:45:29 »

Even if the headlights can be adjusted for driving on the right, I'd buy a set of the stick on tabs that deflect the beam.  If you get pulled by the Gendarmerie, Carabinarieri or whichever local plod, then it's obvious that you have complied and there can be little argument.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2013, 22:06:27 »

Even if the headlights can be adjusted for driving on the right, I'd buy a set of the stick on tabs that deflect the beam.  If you get pulled by the Gendarmerie, Carabinarieri or whichever local plod, then it's obvious that you have complied and there can be little argument.  ;)

There are plenty of cars that don't need a bit of sticky tape on them, & I'm sceptical at how good they are anyway. Omegas eg have the lever inside to produce a symmetrical beam & some Mercs can be done via their onboard dash options.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2013, 22:59:26 »

Yes but convincing a non English speaking Italian policeman that you have changed the beam with the lever can be tricky.  If you have a sticky pad on your headlight it's obvious.  ;)

I used to work for a motor sport company and spent a lot of time driving around Europe and got pulled a few times.  One of the first things they'd check on a right hand drive vehicle was the headlights.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2013, 23:34:20 »

Kind of agree... On short trips I just use the levers but when I went for a fortnight I just stuck the beam benders on for ease of any argument!

To the op, didn't look at your location :-[ I think it's the AA site that has a toll calculator... Very handy! Should be a good run... You can do the length of Italy in a (longish) day comfortably if you use the toll roads ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2013, 17:54:28 »

It seems to be a requirement that the number plate on the front has to be different to number plate on the rear!!

I kid you not!......i drive on the m4 4 hours a day at the moment....and you tend to notice things...

You pick on any foreign lorry and check its number plate on its trailer.....drive past and look at the plate on the front of the tractor unit.....99% of the time not only will it be different but they wont even be from the same country  >:(

If i were in charge, it would be an automatic 100 Euro or £100 on the spot fine if your trailer number plate didnt match your tractor unit plate......with the potential of 100'000's of foreign lorries getting fined......might help the UK economy a tad  :y

Actually quite legal for continentals .. :) look at foreign caravans .. same applies .... :

Simple reason is, ALL trailers are individually licensed and taxed .. so the trailer has its "own" registration plate  :)

If the trailer and tractor are the same .. then they are illegal !!!   :)  :)

Nice try at revenue raising however :)

I wasnt aware that other european countries had licence plates for the tractor unit and the trailer....so thanks for that  :y However in the UK its a requirement to display the registration plate  of the towing vehicle on the trailer, therefore as far as i can see, they are breaking UK laws.
When entering the UK they should cover up the plate of the trailer with the number plate of the towing vehicle.....when they leave the UK they remove the plate .... simplies  :) :)

And get an on the spot fine if they dont  :)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2013, 18:19:42 »

Thanks for the help guys I will have to look into the headlight adjustment then. I assume that halfords will have something for this, sounds like its best to stick them on anyway even if not required, just to pacify the local constabulary if nothing else. Do the local plod over there give us foreign drivers much trouble as a rule or is it only if your driving like a lunatic?

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2013, 18:27:51 »

Thanks for the help guys I will have to look into the headlight adjustment then. I assume that halfords will have something for this, sounds like its best to stick them on anyway even if not required, just to pacify the local constabulary if nothing else. Do the local plod over there give us foreign drivers much trouble as a rule or is it only if your driving like a lunatic?

You will be ok in Malta.  The Highway Code, if it ever existed, is largely ignored! Well it always was! For instance driving on the left is optional; centre of the road is preferred!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D  So, be careful and do not expect other motorists to do what they do in the UK! ;D ;D ;)

In France though the Police there are very strict I believe, and expect you to obey the laws with all the safety equipment already described always present. :y
« Last Edit: 27 March 2013, 18:29:58 by Lizzie Zoom »

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2013, 18:31:14 »

Well I wont be in any panic anyway and its only a transit van so I'll be sticking to the speed limits most of the time if not all the time. Was thinking of doing most of the driving at night but then there would be more to see during the day and the extra traffic would help keep me awake so I'm still undecided as yet. Probably get less hassle with the headlights during the day as well I guess.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2013, 19:39:08 »

It seems to be a requirement that the number plate on the front has to be different to number plate on the rear!!

I kid you not!......i drive on the m4 4 hours a day at the moment....and you tend to notice things...

You pick on any foreign lorry and check its number plate on its trailer.....drive past and look at the plate on the front of the tractor unit.....99% of the time not only will it be different but they wont even be from the same country  >:(

If i were in charge, it would be an automatic 100 Euro or £100 on the spot fine if your trailer number plate didnt match your tractor unit plate......with the potential of 100'000's of foreign lorries getting fined......might help the UK economy a tad  :y

Actually quite legal for continentals .. :) look at foreign caravans .. same applies .... :

Simple reason is, ALL trailers are individually licensed and taxed .. so the trailer has its "own" registration plate  :)

If the trailer and tractor are the same .. then they are illegal !!!   :)  :)

Nice try at revenue raising however :)

I wasnt aware that other european countries had licence plates for the tractor unit and the trailer....so thanks for that  :y However in the UK its a requirement to display the registration plate  of the towing vehicle on the trailer, therefore as far as i can see, they are breaking UK laws.
When entering the UK they should cover up the plate of the trailer with the number plate of the towing vehicle.....when they leave the UK they remove the plate .... simplies  :) :)

And get an on the spot fine if they dont  :)

Not quite as simple ... the requirements differ from country to country but as long as you obey your "country of registration" rules you are legal ... mostly ... for example .. in France a trailer MUST show "speed limits" on the rear .. those 50 60 70 ovals ... but it is not a UK requirement .. so when you take your van to France you don't need to fit them. In France a trailer MUST have an MOT (part of its own licence thingy) .. Your van doesn't need one so you are legal ... otherwise you'd need an MOT and a trailer registration every time you went to France ....

It is a highly complicated problem .. as those guys going to Spain have recently found ... Spain have passed a law on "long vehicle" plates that is enforceable for all vehicles, not just Spanish ones, and the local plod are having a field day with UK units .. :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2013, 23:26:27 »

Well I wont be in any panic anyway and its only a transit van so I'll be sticking to the speed limits most of the time if not all the time. Was thinking of doing most of the driving at night but then there would be more to see during the day and the extra traffic would help keep me awake so I'm still undecided as yet. Probably get less hassle with the headlights during the day as well I guess.

Continental roads are much, much easier to drive on and rarely get a jam except sometimes in rush hour :y

My normal rule (actually, I tend to use it in this country too) is to make sure I'm not the fastest vehicle on the road :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 March 2013, 00:47:49 »

If the trailer and tractor are the same .. then they are illegal !!!

Illegal in the uk.

All lgv trailers must have an MOT, Uk or otherwise.
Is the world ready for me..

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2013, 09:06:50 »

Always fancied a "road trip" like this. Not sure I'd want to do it on my own though.
You can't drive through the night though Horsecow, missing all that scenery.  ???

Anyway, good on ya fella for doing it, I hope your friends appreciate it. Enjoy your trip and when you can take a few pics for us lot.  :y

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2013, 11:57:14 »

Always fancied a "road trip" like this. Not sure I'd want to do it on my own though.
You can't drive through the night though Horsecow, missing all that scenery.  ???

Anyway, good on ya fella for doing it, I hope your friends appreciate it. Enjoy your trip and when you can take a few pics for us lot.  :y

That's the main reason I agreed to do it, I've always wanted to do it myself.  I probably will drive mostly during the day, as you say there's just too much scenery to miss out on. I'd like to take my time coming back but my sister is getting married a few days after they're scheduling it for so that's the only thing that will be hurrying me. I'm trying to get them to bring it forward a little but they already have the flights booked.

I like that rule Lazydocker, I suppose I sort of stick to that myself. As I said I don't intend to be in any hurry but somehow I always find that I'm racing for a ferry no matter how much time I've left myself and it looks like there's 3 ferries each way on this trip!!

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 31 March 2013, 09:22:06 »

A thought occured to me this morning (it's okay, I was sitting down at the time ;D)...

Commercial vehicles are forbidden to travel on Sundays in alot of Europe.

Don't know if that is any vehicle over a certain weight or ALL commercial vehicles :-\ the only exception is, I believe, livestock carriers :-\

Best double check to save hassle and time the ferries to suit :y

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.