Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oooops  (Read 3390 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Oooops
« on: 06 June 2014, 15:46:08 »

B****r, got a speeding ticket today, 50 in a 40 limited dual carriageway. I tend to drive at a speed suitable for the road conditions if I have not spotted a speed limit. Annoying, as if I spot the limit sign I usually pop it in Cruise control :-[ :-[ :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Oooops
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2014, 15:47:37 »

Sorry to hear that.. So many speed limits are well under a suitable speed for collecting cash the road conditions these days. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2014, 15:50:44 »

Bugger!  >:(

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2014, 16:09:32 »

Found some money for traffic cops have they?

Rog

« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2014, 17:56:56 »

If you're given the option of a speed awareness course, you may want to consider doing it. It costs money, but so does a fine, and better than 3 points. I did one a while back and it was actually quite informative I hate to say  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2014, 18:53:05 »

..... and it was actually quite informative I hate to say  ;D

Like what?  ???

I thought mine was a bit condescending ....... but you're obliged to button it to 'pass'   :-X

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2014, 19:07:14 »

B****r, got a speeding ticket today, ..........

I got one through the door yesterday as well..  :'(

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 22:46:29 »

Found some money for traffic cops have they?

Fixed camera apparently, but I never saw it. >:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2014, 22:52:00 »

If you're given the option of a speed awareness course, you may want to consider doing it. It costs money, but so does a fine, and better than 3 points. I did one a while back and it was actually quite informative I hate to say  ;D

Yes, my mate did it for the same reason, but how long do the 3 points last? In any case I imagine it will affect my insurance premium whether I do the course or not. :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2014, 22:59:38 »

Yes, my mate did it for the same reason, but how long do the 3 points last? In any case I imagine it will affect my insurance premium whether I do the course or not. :-\

Points last for 3 years on your licence, but insurance want to know for 5 yrs. Courses always were advertised as something that your insurance company didn't need to know about, but then one of them ...... can't remember which, said thay wanted to know. Can't imagine they'd be told by many ..........  :-\ :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2014, 09:31:27 »

I suppose I shouldn't grumble, 1st time in ** years driving undetected!  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2014, 09:53:48 »

They no longer have to post warning notices regarding greed cameras, fixed of mobile, which flies in the face of the Police's declared policy of prevention rather than prosecution.
If they were genuinely interested in safety, they would make such cameras highly visible and never use unmarked cars for traffic patrol - and stop turning the lights off motorways, and mend the roads so they didn't cause accidents........

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2014, 09:58:51 »

They no longer have to post warning notices regarding greed cameras, fixed of mobile, which flies in the face of the Police's declared policy of prevention rather than prosecution.
If they were genuinely interested in safety, they would make such cameras highly visible and never use unmarked cars for traffic patrol - and stop turning the lights off motorways, and mend the roads so they didn't cause accidents........

Ron.

.. and not set laughably low speed limits on roads that are perfectly safe at NSL. >:(

They have done that to the A339 here. I guarantee I could drive the whole length quite safely in an Omega without dropping below NSL*, but, because it gets a steady stream of bikers writing themselves off at 140 MPH, it's a "black spot", so it's down to 50, and even 40 in places.

Now, tell me. If a biker is prepared to accept doing 80 MPH above the NSL, what effect do you think dropping the limit by 10 or 20 MPH is going to have? ::)

* -  assuming it's miraculously clear of blue rinsers in Nissan X-trails who appear to drive everywhere at 35 MPH
« Last Edit: 07 June 2014, 10:00:36 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2014, 10:35:47 »

Can't argue with that Kevin, trouble is those motorbicyclists often splatter themselves across other traffic, and it always takes an age to clear all the bits up  ::)

Ignoring the humanity of such situations for a second, given the very obvious risks of riding a bike at 2-3 times the nsl on single carriageway roads, shouldn't such incidents be labelled as suicide and the bikers insurance billed for the investigation/clean up work, rather than making every one else suffer with stupidly inappropriate speed limits and overtaking restrictions :-\

I know there are some sensible motorbicyclists around, but they seem to be as rare as sensible bicyclists...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2014, 11:33:07 »

Oh, I would probably be doing the same if I were a motorbicyclist. ;)

The point is, you have a group of road users who have no regard whatsoever for the speed limits and they are endangering themselves and others. Do you:

1) Put some effort into enforcement, and make an example of a few of them.
2) Use it as a fantastic excuse to slow everybody else down, then start making money from people who mostly observe the speed limits when they aren't insanely low. Meanwhile, continue to turn a blind eye to the dangerous offenders.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2014, 12:03:48 »

Can't argue with that Kevin,trouble is those motorbicyclists often splatter themselves across other traffic, and it always takes an age to clear all the bits up  ::)

Ignoring the humanity of such situations for a second, given the very obvious risks of riding a bike at 2-3 times the nsl on single carriageway roads, shouldn't such incidents be labelled as suicide and the bikers insurance billed for the investigation/clean up work, rather than making every one else suffer with stupidly inappropriate speed limits and overtaking restrictions :-\

I know there are some sensible motorbicyclists around, but they seem to be as rare as sensible bicyclists...

finding ALL the bits Al is some times the problem...I know I have had the task of trying to find them....the glamorous duties of a paramedic.....not ???
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2014, 12:13:14 »

Aaeye totally ineffective. But then there's enough blue risnsers to keep speeds below 40 anyway, regardless of NSL

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2014, 12:53:58 »

Oh, I would probably be doing the same if I were a motorbicyclist. ;)

The point is, you have a group of road users who have no regard whatsoever for the speed limits and they are endangering themselves and others. Do you:

1) Put some effort into enforcement, and make an example of a few of them.
2) Use it as a fantastic excuse to slow everybody else down, then start making money from people who mostly observe the speed limits when they aren't insanely low. Meanwhile, continue to turn a blind eye to the dangerous offenders.
Must say I am with you on appropriate use of speed, rather than 'think of a number and halve it' limits... if you have a two mile straight with no junctions and reasonable visibility, then does it need a limit? The Acle Straight on the A47 is a good example... there are two principle hazards on that road, oncoming traffic and a slight bend halfway along. Obvious solutions are make it compulsory to use headlights at all times along it, and mark the bend clearly in order that someone approaching it at 100+ mph actually has fair warning to slow down for it. This could include reactive signs triggered by vehicle speed, displaying 'Ease Off now', 'Brake now' and 'Too Late'. Make the zone a quarter mile either side of the bend 40mph, with a camera each way. Also include a limit, of say 60, together with a ban on overtaking if it's raining/foggy/freezing

Wrt your summary of the solutions,  obviously 1 is the sensible approach, and 2 is the actual approach >:(

As for paramedics wasting their time looking for bits ::) Send an ambulance for the other people involved and an black van for the motor bicyclist. To be blunt, and apologies for that and for those having lunch, if someones head has come off, then despite the best wonders of modern science, they are dead :'( So have someone else collect what's needed to identify them and leave the paramedics to dealing with actual casualties... no wonder you can't get an ambulance when you need one :-X
« Last Edit: 07 June 2014, 13:08:05 by Taxi Al »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2014, 13:08:12 »

If they were genuinely interested in safety, they would make such cameras highly visible and never use unmarked cars for traffic patrol

Traffic (or for that matter, any type of patrol) includes an awful lot more than looking for speeders, though.

Believe it or not, as advanced drivers, traffic officers do a lot more than enforce the Road Traffic Act, and there are often occasions (for matters much more serious than speeding) an unmarked car is essential.

If there was a person doing 70mph in lane 2 of a mororway, looking into their lap for seconds at a time whilst composing a text message, would you have a problem with an unmarked unit detecting this? That's still traffic patrol :y

My personal opinion is that speed limits need to increase slightly on a lot of roads. I like France where it is higher in dry weather :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2014, 13:47:01 »

I understand completely what you are saying, James and obviously you see more incidents than most of us on here, but my point is why the need for unmarked vehicles? A visible presence would PREVENT an offense taking place, which is my understanding of the prime directive of the police, rather than prosecution, regardless?
The use of unmarked vehicles in the  area of true criminal activity I feel is justified - drugs dealing, etc., but the only reason for covert operations in civil matters seems to me to be for revenue collection.
By the way, are you ever going to respond to my PMs?

Ron.

Rog

« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2014, 13:52:54 »

Can't argue with that Kevin, trouble is those motorbicyclists often splatter themselves across other traffic, and it always takes an age to clear all the bits up  ::)

There's quite a point here. Most road users (Cars & Bikes) have very little real perception of what happens. They may read that someone got killed, or injured etc, but don't really understand that this means decaptiation, evisceration, limbs ripped off, smashed heads and faces etc with all the mess that these involve.

So little boy racer puts his foot down, takes a chance, and doesn't conside that in a few seconds his jaw may be protruding through the top of his skull.

Mum on the school run, or excited newly qualified driver, looks at a text on the move, not realizing that in a few seconds their life will change.

Everyone should see bodies and/or actual injuries after a RTA.

But of course, it will never happens to us. We're all really good drivers, aren't we ?

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2014, 14:02:51 »

The roads are already littered with bodies, yet noone gives smaller mammals a second glance... why should we be any different :-\

You can go too far the other way, of course, and noone would ever leave their hypoallergenic cocoons for fear of catching summat... What ifs can be as paralysing as parking your car in a tree at 100mph. If you take a chance in life you must accep that there will, on occasion, be consequences, not just for you, but anyone else in the vicinity. Constantly dodging bullets doesn't mean that there isn't one with your name on it :-\

Rog

« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2014, 14:52:12 »

The roads are already littered with bodies, yet noone gives smaller mammals a second glance... why should we be any different :-\

You can go too far the other way, of course, and noone would ever leave their hypoallergenic cocoons for fear of catching summat... What ifs can be as paralysing as parking your car in a tree at 100mph. If you take a chance in life you must accep that there will, on occasion, be consequences, not just for you, but anyone else in the vicinity. Constantly dodging bullets doesn't mean that there isn't one with your name on it :-\

Agreed

But . . . . taking a life changing (or life ending) chance over something a trivial as being impatient, or reading a text, or the momentary adrenaline rush of driving fast ?  and it may not be the drivers life that is being changed or ended.

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2014, 14:58:44 »

finding ALL the bits Al is some times the problem...I know I have had the task of trying to find them....the glamorous duties of a paramedic.....not ???

I often wondered. Why be a paramedic then? Or train to be one I should say? There will be blood and guts, there just will. Goes with territory.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2014, 15:32:52 »

There was a woman hit crossing the A24 with her dogs a few years ago. Hit by at least two bikes travelling at twice the nsl for dual carriageway. One rider died at the scene, at least one dog was vapourized and the woman was killed outright. The other rider didn't stop, and was eventually tracked down. Only prosecuted because, although he had stripped and cleaned the bike, there were still traces of blood from both the dog and the woman on it, tying him irrefutably to the scene >:(

Who was taking the greater risk... the local woman crossing a dual carriageway, or the riders travelling too fast to react to anything they encountered... a pot hole would have likely killed the rider at that speed.

If the woman hadn't crossed there, at that moment, she would still be alive, equally so would the rider. However, had the bikes only being travelling at the 60 limit in place at the time, then everyone involved would have had all the time in the world to react.

chrisgixer

« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2014, 15:43:08 »

There was a woman hit crossing the A24 with her dogs a few years ago. Hit by at least two bikes travelling at twice the nsl for dual carriageway. One rider died at the scene, at least one dog was vapourized and the woman was killed outright. The other rider didn't stop, and was eventually tracked down. Only prosecuted because, although he had stripped and cleaned the bike, there were still traces of blood from both the dog and the woman on it, tying him irrefutably to the scene >:(

Who was taking the greater risk... the local woman crossing a dual carriageway, or the riders travelling too fast to react to anything they encountered... a pot hole would have likely killed the rider at that speed.

If the woman hadn't crossed there, at that moment, she would still be alive, equally so would the rider. However, had the bikes only being travelling at the 60 limit in place at the time, then everyone involved would have had all the time in the world to react.

Not necessarily. Most pedestrians, drivers in lane two changing to lane 3, cyclists etc etc that choose to wonder into my path seem to it time it so perfectly that there would almost certainly be an accident if I didn't divert course.

Thing is, this happens regardless of speed v speed limit.

Therefor, timing is everything. If a person chooses to walk out in front of a car at the right time so as to give the driver no hope of avoiding the accident, then it won't matter how fast they are going OR What the speed limit is.

Granted there's a better chance if stopping but speed absolutely is not the over riding factor in an accident. Yes its a common factor, but then it would be given the ever falling speed limits these days.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2014, 09:16:57 »

Not necessarily. Most pedestrians, drivers in lane two changing to lane 3, cyclists etc etc that choose to wonder into my path seem to it time it so perfectly that there would almost certainly be an accident if I didn't divert course.

Therefor, timing is everything. If a person chooses to walk out in front of a car at the right time so as to give the driver no hope of avoiding the accident, then it won't matter how fast they are going OR What the speed limit is.

Granted there's a better chance if stopping but speed absolutely is not the over riding factor in an accident. Yes its a common factor, but then it would be given the ever falling speed limits these days.

On the other hand, the woman wouldn't have reasonably expected traffic to be approaching doing twice the speed limit, that would have driven her decision to start to cross when it appeared clear and you can bet the crossing was designed to be safe at the posted speed limit, and not double the limit. So, riders observing the speed limit would have resulted in lives saved and speed was absolutely the main factor.

I think it's fine to take risks when the risks are to yourself alone, but where others are involved, it's extremely selfish. If I make a decision that the most risky thing to do in life is to walk my dogs it's incredibly selfish for someone more reckless to put me at higher risk than I have accepted.

As it is, I'm no angel, but, if you choose to exceed the limit, at every road feature where interaction with other drivers / pedestrians is a possibility, you have to expect that they will behave according to the speed limit, and that may mean it's unacceptable for you to be above it. If you are above the limit, others may well indeed pull out on you, as their perception will be based on the majority of traffic which will be at the speed limit. It's something you have to accept, because you're not on a race track but a public road where not everyone is superhuman. ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2014, 10:01:20 »

On the other hand, the woman wouldn't have reasonably expected traffic to be approaching doing twice the speed limit, that would have driven her decision to start to cross when it appeared clear and you can bet the crossing was designed to be safe at the posted speed limit, and not double the limit. So, riders observing the speed limit would have resulted in lives saved and speed was absolutely the main factor.

I think it's fine to take risks when the risks are to yourself alone, but where others are involved, it's extremely selfish. If I make a decision that the most risky thing to do in life is to walk my dogs it's incredibly selfish for someone more reckless to put me at higher risk than I have accepted.

As it is, I'm no angel, but, if you choose to exceed the limit, at every road feature where interaction with other drivers / pedestrians is a possibility, you have to expect that they will behave according to the speed limit, and that may mean it's unacceptable for you to be above it. If you are above the limit, others may well indeed pull out on you, as their perception will be based on the majority of traffic which will be at the speed limit. It's something you have to accept, because you're not on a race track but a public road where not everyone is superhuman. ;)

Absolutely. Point accepted. But I did say, not necessarily, at the start. My point is, the women could just as easily done as she did at 60 or even 40, with the same casualties, as there where at, say, 160. There comes a point at which an impact is unavoidable, If the timing is such. But do we all brake to walking pace on sight of her in case she wonders into the road? No we are within the limit so that's all fine then. ....That was all really.

Ok, the medics won't have to walk as far to pick up the bits etc etc, but you get my point surely? Minor as it may be, to what Happened in Al's post. :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 June 2014, 10:17:18 »

The thing is, probability of a collision, or level of risk, if you want to see it that way, is probably close to zero at 40 MPH, and a little higher at 60 MPH, but probably rises exponentially such that an accident is almost inevitable at 160 MPH. The woman presumably accepted the 60 MPH level of risk, or she would have stayed indoors. What right did the bikers have to increase her risk by their actions to the "almost certain death" scenario she actually faced on the day?

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 08 June 2014, 10:36:08 »

The thing is, probability of a collision, or level of risk, if you want to see it that way, is probably close to zero at 40 MPH, and a little higher at 60 MPH, but probably rises exponentially such that an accident is almost inevitable at 160 MPH. The woman presumably accepted the 60 MPH level of risk, or she would have stayed indoors. What right did the bikers have to increase her risk by their actions to the "almost certain death" scenario she actually faced on the day?

That I don't accept. Lesser risk yes, of course. But zero, no.

The woman accepts much greater risk by crossing that particular road, that goes without saying. But what's reasonable to expect on that road. NSL plus 10 or 20mph would be far from unusual. She accepts that risk by crossing. There is always a risk. Always. The only way to lessen the risk is a speed limit, as that's cheaper. But a fatality is a fatality regardless of the speed limit.

Tell me there's no chance if death at the speed limit. Clearly that's not the case. Lessened yes, but if the timing is such, the vehicle simply won't stop in time regardless.

05omegav6

« Reply #30 on: 08 June 2014, 11:00:03 »

Not having ever ridden a motorbike, and never intending to do so, forgive me if I am wrong in my numbers, but the thought process should be clear...

At 40 you can probably swerve around an unexpected road user in a car length without falling off or hitting anything. At 60, that is probably the length of an artic and at 100+ you're looking at possibly the length of three artics just to change lanes :-\

Not sure if you've read it, but alot of the content in Road Craft applies as much now as it did when it was first written. One key point being that at 30 mph 90% of your effort is focused on your surroundings and 10% on your driving. At higher speeds this reverses, and after a point, 100% of your concentration is focused entirely on controlling the vehicle. Add other road users into the mix, and it's no wonder so many bikers die each year :-\

On a track, this isn't an issue as the straights/flat out parts are relatively short, but on a road that isn't the case, hence the challenge of road races such as the TT, where the fatality rate is far higher than on track.

chrisgixer

« Reply #31 on: 08 June 2014, 11:16:19 »

Not having ever ridden a motorbike, and never intending to do so, forgive me if I am wrong in my numbers, but the thought process should be clear...

At 40 you can probably swerve around an unexpected road user in a car length without falling off or hitting anything. At 60, that is probably the length of an artic and at 100+ you're looking at possibly the length of three artics just to change lanes :-\

Not sure if you've read it, but alot of the content in Road Craft applies as much now as it did when it was first written. One key point being that at 30 mph 90% of your effort is focused on your surroundings and 10% on your driving. At higher speeds this reverses, and after a point, 100% of your concentration is focused entirely on controlling the vehicle. Add other road users into the mix, and it's no wonder so many bikers die each year :-\

On a track, this isn't an issue as the straights/flat out parts are relatively short, but on a road that isn't the case, hence the challenge of road races such as the TT, where the fatality rate is far higher than on track.
Nout t do with bikers. Or old ladies with dogs. In response to the last sentence of your/that particular post.

I'm merely asking acceptance of the fact that sticking any given speed limit does not mean zero risk. Less yes, zero no.

Slightly pedantic given the subject, so apologies there.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 June 2014, 12:15:33 »

The woman accepts much greater risk by crossing that particular road, that goes without saying. But what's reasonable to expect on that road. NSL plus 10 or 20mph would be far from unusual. She accepts that risk by crossing. There is always a risk. Always. The only way to lessen the risk is a speed limit, as that's cheaper. But a fatality is a fatality regardless of the speed limit.

Tell me there's no chance if death at the speed limit. Clearly that's not the case. Lessened yes, but if the timing is such, the vehicle simply won't stop in time regardless.

Lesser is an understatement! I'm talking here about the risk of not making it across the road where bikers are approaching at 40 MPH, not risk of death once hit!

I'd say you could spend your entire life repeatedly crossing that road with bikes using it at 40 MPH and you'd still be unlucky to get killed, so the risk is infinitesimally small. Still there, of course, but insignificant.

At 160 MPH, on the other hand, the biker is not in a position to take any avoiding action if the woman steps out. He's on the ragged edge before the crossing appears on the horizon, and the thinking distance alone will probably be far enough to prevent him taking any avoiding action before he's through the crossing. The woman won't see the bike approaching because he won't even be in view as she starts to cross. The risk is, therefore, complete pot luck. What are her chances? 50%? 90%? I don't know, but they will be thousands of times higher than the 40 MPH case. The problem is that the biker is probably unable to understand those odds.

chrisgixer

« Reply #33 on: 08 June 2014, 12:39:42 »

Lesser is an understatement! I'm talking here about the risk of not making it across the road where bikers are approaching at 40 MPH, not risk of death once hit!

I'd say you could spend your entire life repeatedly crossing that road with bikes using it at 40 MPH and you'd still be unlucky to get killed, so the risk is infinitesimally small. Still there, of course, but insignificant.

At 160 MPH, on the other hand, the biker is not in a position to take any avoiding action if the woman steps out. He's on the ragged edge before the crossing appears on the horizon, and the thinking distance alone will probably be far enough to prevent him taking any avoiding action before he's through the crossing. The woman won't see the bike approaching because he won't even be in view as she starts to cross. The risk is, therefore, complete pot luck. What are her chances? 50%? 90%? I don't know, but they will be thousands of times higher than the 40 MPH case. The problem is that the biker is probably unable to understand those odds.

In that specific instance yes, but thats "not necessarily the case" in every instance. As I think was clear in my post. As I've had pedestrians wobble out in front of me thinking themselves perfectly safe in a 20mph zone. As I'm sure most people have.
 The odd bonker chonker round here sees no issue in mounting their previously pushed bicycle on the path and dropping off the kerb into the left side of the road regardless off what's coming up behind them and not even looking, presumably assuming there is always room for a cyclist between the car and the kerb at all times. If he does that at the right time it won't matter what speed the vehicle approaches, there will be an accident. The fact hes still alive means he's hasn't yet got the timing quite right, ESP on a bus route. (Wince)

Depending on the road, and the bike, a bike at 160 is not necessarily "at the limit" either btw. Nearer yes agreed. Not for one moment trying to justify 140mph in that example of course.

An appropriate bike will cope with .... Ok that's a pointless argument ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #34 on: 08 June 2014, 12:49:39 »

Further, if applying to the op, a further 10mph over the limit will make equally little difference to any accidental situation either.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 June 2014, 14:06:39 »

Returning to the original issue of automated revenue collection, back in more civilised and less greedy days a real live policeman would have pulled you over, told you that you were a naughty boy and not to do it again. Nowadays the money collected, like most motoring taxes, goes to fund pointless military action overseas and to bolster NHS and education budgets.
I wonder if it will ever be politically expedient to be honest about taxation?

Ron.

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 08 June 2014, 14:23:26 »

My last poist might have been a touch terse as I was on my way out for a job... the particular issue with motorbicyclists is that they really do need incredible ability to ride to anywhere near the bikes limit, and alot of riders fall way short for treating open highways as private race tracks, hence the high number of biker fatalities, probably 2/3 a month round here in the summer :-\ The few that are capable race professionally.

But back to Shackengs' predicament... driving at 60-70 on an urban dual carriageway is most likely to lead to little more than increased wear and tear on suspension, brakes and tyres... as TB will surely testify ::)

But, and it's a biggy, the point I suspect Kevin was trying to make... How would TB be feeling if the Passat? that hit his Rover had been travelling 10mph faster?

Try and answer that question honestly :y the scale of stopping distance versus impact speed is about the most important/informative thing that might be learnt from a speed awareness course...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #37 on: 08 June 2014, 18:37:24 »

My last poist might have been a touch terse as I was on my way out for a job... the particular issue with motorbicyclists is that they really do need incredible ability to ride to anywhere near the bikes limit, and alot of riders fall way short for treating open highways as private race tracks, hence the high number of biker fatalities, probably 2/3 a month round here in the summer :-\ The few that are capable race professionally.

But back to Shackengs' predicament... driving at 60-70 on an urban dual carriageway is most likely to lead to little more than increased wear and tear on suspension, brakes and tyres... as TB will surely testify ::)

But, and it's a biggy, the point I suspect Kevin was trying to make... How would TB be feeling if the Passat? that hit his Rover had been travelling 10mph faster?

Try and answer that question honestly :y the scale of stopping distance versus impact speed is about the most important/informative thing that might be learnt from a speed awareness course...

I havent been a speed awareness course, but i remember reading somewhere, that stopping/braking is an exponential curve.

To show this a car was driven at 70mph and at a line in the road, the driver did an emergency stop.
Where the car had stopped a few inches further on a polystyrene wall was built.
The car was then driven at 70mph at the wall, at the line the driver did another emergency stop.
The car stopped again an inch or two before the wall.
The car was then driven at 100mph at the wall, same as before, driver did an emergency stop at the line......question was, how fast was the car travelling when it hit the wall.

30mph, perhaps? wrong it was 70mph!  :o :o
« Last Edit: 08 June 2014, 18:38:58 by Taxi Driver »

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 08 June 2014, 18:47:52 »

That's the scary bit :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #39 on: 08 June 2014, 19:42:47 »

Kev posted on the back mine re timing. That being, if somebody trips onto the road within my stopping distance at WHATEVER speed there will STILL be an accident. Unless I divert course, which happened not half an hour ago, with two blokes side by side on a narrow path. One foot slipped off the kerb. Believe it or not.

I'd given them a wide berth, as there was nothing coming the other way.

I think that's fairly easy to understand. Tbh.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 June 2014, 20:13:34 »

Kev posted on the back mine re timing. That being, if somebody trips onto the road within my stopping distance at WHATEVER speed there will STILL be an accident. Unless I divert course, which happened not half an hour ago, with two blokes side by side on a narrow path. One foot slipped off the kerb. Believe it or not.

Yes, but we now seem to be talking about people who step out at random. The original subject matter is about people who look look right, look left, look right, step out and then get mown down by someone whose stopping distance started in the previous county. ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #41 on: 08 June 2014, 20:20:02 »

Yes, but we now seem to be talking about people who step out at random. The original subject matter is about people who look look right, look left, look right, step out and then get mown down by someone whose stopping distance started in the previous county. ;)

The original, original subject has long since been lost ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #42 on: 08 June 2014, 20:26:33 »

Might I refer the honourable quack to reply #36, paragraphs 2,3 and 4 :y

And perhaps a little less sun tomorrow  :P  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #43 on: 08 June 2014, 20:33:12 »

Might I refer the honourable quack to reply #36, paragraphs 2,3 and 4 :y

And perhaps a little less sun tomorrow  :P  ;D

Why? I've accepted that several pages ago....? Yet an admittedly minor point on incidents WITHIN any stopping distance is incomprehensible.

Where is that head banging wall smiley...? :P

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 08 June 2014, 20:40:22 »

;D

Point is, if Shackeng is offered a speed awareness course, he should take it :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 08 June 2014, 21:35:34 »

The original, original subject has long since been lost ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #46 on: 08 June 2014, 21:46:07 »

;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #47 on: 08 June 2014, 22:29:35 »

Right, he's gone. Can we get on now please. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #48 on: 09 June 2014, 11:02:06 »

:P

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 June 2014, 08:00:15 »

By the way, are you ever going to respond to my PMs?

Ron.

Could you resend please?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.