Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick help please, MaxV6's Sennheisers?  (Read 1562 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Quick help please, MaxV6's Sennheisers?
« on: 26 May 2007, 08:56:02 »

I can't find anything in the search.  What were the Sennheiser earphones that MaxV6 was suggesting?  Want to get some.

(Yes, I finally remembered something that I wanted!)
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help please, MaxV6's Sennheisers?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2007, 08:59:03 »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2007, 09:07:54 »

Try this link:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/
Sorry, should have been clearer.  He was suggesting a specific model.  Does anyone remember?  Cheers!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2007, 09:14:17 »

Try this link:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/
Sorry, should have been clearer.  He was suggesting a specific model.  Does anyone remember?  Cheers!

If its urgent I have Max's contact numbers, if you would like to call him let me know I can PM you his number :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2007, 09:18:16 »

PX200 I think - I have the 100

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2007, 09:24:07 »

PX200 I think - I have the 100
Ah, OK.  I thought he was talking about in-ear ones.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2007, 16:56:31 »

I don't generally recommend "In ear" designs..... there area number of safety issues with them about which the average punter is ignorant,. even once told they assume it's scare mongering.

basically it's as thus.

To get truly effective performance they need to seal the canal pretty tight....   this leads to 2 issues.

1) when used overly loud, or even moderately loud, they can cause accumulative damage to the hearing , as per any loud noise... BUT because they're in so close and forma direct link system with the ear drum, the levels and exposure times needed to cause damage are MUCH MUCH less than normally quoted in most HSE studies....

2) Because they seal up quite tightly, it's easy to get a complete seal...   all it takes is a tiny bit of earwax ....   the end result being that when they're removed, even quite gently... the resulting Vacuum / negative pressure differential , and following in-rush can cause ear drum perforation .   and I must stress, that in that scenario it is in fact MORE likely that it WILL cause damage than that it won;t.

These issues are slowly being addressed by the industry, but it's quite scary how many live performers have suffered permanent damage using in ear monitoring designs, and i can assure you, consumer ear bud headphones are a LONG way behind the pro monitoring systems....  it's kind of like F1   the technology eventually filters through in to the mainstream consumer market... but it takes time and usually costs money....

Sennheiser designed the Px range to be used with mobile devices such as iPods , making them as efficient as practicable , so using less power and extending battery life,  but deliver much MUCH better listening performance than is safely possible with an in ear design.

as to how much better?

even my 16 year old teenage son can tell the difference....

I bought him a set of Px200's to go with his Video iPod for his birthday ......

his exclamation on using them was "unprintably awesome... "

he now won't use the original apple in ear buds, but his px's are never far away from his ears....

unless you're a mastering engineer , i see no reason to spend any more than that on a set of listening for pleasure mobile cans....

on the other hand if you need isolation , or even more detail,  and not mobility, then there are other designs to consider...

HD650's are my personal favourites, but I use Beyer units in the studio live room for their bullet proof build and good isolation performance..
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2007, 17:04:06 »

PX 200's are absolutely  :-Xing superb cans!  :D

I got some (thanks Max) a little while back and I use them with my MP3 player. Stunning!  :y
Give then 10-15 hrs to run in (I plugged them in and left them running for 24 hrs) before use and you will not want anything else!
The Administrator.

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2007, 19:01:55 »

SO how good are the PC100s then? They seem quite good but if the 200s are that much better

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2007, 20:26:43 »

Not as expensive as I thought :o

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/resources/headphones_PC_2007.pdf/$File/headphones_PC_2007.pdf

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2007, 21:16:01 »

Only difference between the PX 100's and the PX 200's is that the 100's are open back and 200's are closed back (I think, but Max will correct if not).
The Administrator.

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2007, 21:24:11 »

Only difference between the PX 100's and the PX 200's is that the 100's are open back and 200's are closed back (I think, but Max will correct if not).

Still sound good - I hate the in ear jobbies, and I still do not understand why people want them in white.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2007, 21:44:44 »

The driver assemblies are essentially the same, but the enclosure design yields very different results...

the PX200 has increased attenuation of external noise (and by default, obviously attenuation of sound escaping from them to annoy others while in use...    )

and slightly higher SPL abilities due to the difference in rear loading on the driver assembly.

this typical characteristic of closed back designs  also yields a different low frequency response , which makes them SEEM more powerful and richly detailed to the listener...

that's not to say that they hype bass....   they don't really, not like some "DJ culture" orientated units ...    IMHO if anything the PX100 is a tad light on LF, BUT it does have further extension of the Hf content... however, since most users are not Bats  it's of little use...  

I much prefer listening on the Px200  , it feels psychologically "bigger" without actually being so...

I've since found a REALLY cheap supplier of such things...     thanretailing at about the same price as  Dave and I paid buying direct from my chap at Sennheiser...  

www.turnkey.co.uk

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=SENN-PX200&context=WEB

the only caveat being that you MUST directly insist on confirmation of them having the item physically in stock... they have something of a reputation for taking orders and deposits for things that either never arrive, or take ages because they didn't actually have them in stock.

they've got marginally better since being bought out by sound control last year... but I still wouldn't bet the farm on them./

on the majority of things though, they are fine, and pretty competitively priced...

Max

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2007, 22:09:43 »

Slightly off topic, but I am also looking at getting a pair of HD280's for use at home.

I need closed back cans (less aggro that way) and I like the look of these.
The Administrator.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2007, 01:21:15 »

I've not used these myself Dave, But I know a couple of guys who're quite happy with them....

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=SENN-HD280&context=WEB

you might also consider a set of Beyer DT250's or 770's

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=BEYE-DT250/80&context=WEB

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=BEYE-DT770PRO&context=WEB

I use various versions of the Beyer DT series for monitoring duties while tracking, they're bullet proof and offer a range of solutions in terms of response characteristics, and good attenuation to limit the amount of artist monitoring that makes it back in to the mic.
 my own Sennheisers are HD650's which i use for critical listening duties when i need to work late in the house or pick up on tiny details....   but they're stupidly expensive... and open back....

Max

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2007, 08:11:20 »

OK, thanks for that.  There were some demo PX100's at the Apple store.  I didn't like how they felt to wear.  I was looking for an upgrade to the iPod earphones but still a similar style.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2007, 09:40:30 »

While the 650's are generally acclaimed to be nigh on perfect (well this side of really silly money for Grados etc), they also require some seriously expensive kit to get the best out of them.  ;)

I must try a pair sometime, see how good they are...

In the meantime, thanks for the tips I will check them out.  :y

The Administrator.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2007, 09:41:22 »

OK, thanks for that.  There were some demo PX100's at the Apple store.  I didn't like how they felt to wear.  I was looking for an upgrade to the iPod earphones but still a similar style.

Theo, I'll bring up my PX200's to the lakes and you can see how you find them.
The Administrator.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2007, 10:11:35 »

Theo, I'll bring up my PX200's to the lakes and you can see how you find them.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not going to the lakes.  I've got other plans that weekend.  ::) 8-)

Even those are more than I want to carry around.  I guess I'll just stick with the iPod ones for now.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2007, 15:18:42 »

you can get the PX200's off fleabay for under £28 including delivery here - UK seller too.

Theo - if you want to stick with the in-ear variety, try a pair of Sennheiser CX300's - I have them and think they are better than the normal ipod ones. They're £16 including delivery on fleabay ... here
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.