Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget Sat Nav  (Read 3430 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Budget Sat Nav
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2007, 19:23:11 »

I much prefer a built-in system for two reasons - first, it's integrated with the stereo system so you get very clear speech and it fades the music to the back speakers while talking; and second you don't have to remove it from the car every time you get out to prevent it being stolen.
I have the factory sat-nav and I plan to get one of these other units.  I tried to use it for the first time in months today.  It kept telling me to turn AFTER I had passed the turn until I had gone a couple of miles.  The instructions often don't make any sense.  It tells you what street to turn at but there are rarely any street signs.  I really want the graphical display.

LB, does the Mio 510 handsfree work OK?  It has Windows CE, right?  Can you watch movies on it (obviously not while driving)?  I would like a handheld sat-nav that I can take on the train to London, etc..  Watch movies and listen to music on the train and then use it to wander around the city on foot.  I am currently carrying an iPod and a lot of printed google maps every time that I go.  I borrowed a sat-nav once and even though it gave instructions for driving it was still a great help.
Sounds like you need a PDA...

In london (or other cities), sometimes it takes a while for the gps to get a good signal
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2007, 21:05:37 »

Theo, on the handsfree question.... I don't know, I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

It does run windows CE, so I am sure you could watch movies on it (this would not be good for battery life though).

Navigation on foot is excellent. :)
The Administrator.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2007, 21:17:56 »

I much prefer a built-in system for two reasons - first, it's integrated with the stereo system so you get very clear speech and it fades the music to the back speakers while talking; and second you don't have to remove it from the car every time you get out to prevent it being stolen.
I have the factory sat-nav and I plan to get one of these other units.  I tried to use it for the first time in months today.  It kept telling me to turn AFTER I had passed the turn until I had gone a couple of miles.  The instructions often don't make any sense.  It tells you what street to turn at but there are rarely any street signs.  I really want the graphical display.

LB, does the Mio 510 handsfree work OK?  It has Windows CE, right?  Can you watch movies on it (obviously not while driving)?  I would like a handheld sat-nav that I can take on the train to London, etc..  Watch movies and listen to music on the train and then use it to wander around the city on foot.  I am currently carrying an iPod and a lot of printed google maps every time that I go.  I borrowed a sat-nav once and even though it gave instructions for driving it was still a great help.

In london (or other cities), sometimes it takes a while for the gps to get a good signal

I think its the tall buildings on both sides of the street.....if im in central london my tomtom quite often loses gps.....might be better with an external aerial  :-/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2007, 21:28:55 »

TB/TD - I don't want an external antenna, willing to wait for signal if on foot.  Ideal would be 4.X-5" widescreen PDA with flip-out GPS antenna, SD, Bluetooth, Wifi, speaker, mic, and earphone socket.  Bluetooth handsfree in car, car and foot nav, movies, music, and lastly Internet at Nero/Starbucks.  OTOH don't want it built into phone, like that to be small and simple.

LB, cheers!  Hopefully can get power on the train.  Otherwise yeah, wouldn't expect it to last.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2007, 21:29:04 »

I think its the tall buildings on both sides of the street.....if im in central london my tomtom quite often loses gps.....might be better with an external aerial  :-/
The newer ones with SatrSirf III chipset would be better...
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2007, 22:18:36 »

Other point on them is I wouldnt buy a 910 purely coz it has a hard disk in it, i dont know the reliability of the 910, but imo vibration and hard disks dont mix well.

Disks that are designed for it can handle vibration no problem. My head unit has a hard drive for storing the navi maps and music, and it works seamlessly. And every iPod ever made, with the exception of shuffle and nano models, contains a hard drive. I haven't heard of many HD failures on them.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2007, 22:23:26 »

And every iPod ever made, with the exception of shuffle and nano models, contains a hard drive. I haven't heard of many HD failures on them.
Actually, seen a few fail now, though whether its due to the constant movement or the fact they are getting old (or a combination), I don't know...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2007, 22:27:59 »

And every iPod ever made, with the exception of shuffle and nano models, contains a hard drive. I haven't heard of many HD failures on them.
Actually, seen a few fail now, though whether its due to the constant movement or the fact they are getting old (or a combination), I don't know...
I can't complain about mine.  Over 4 years old now, computers generally don't last nearly that long but do get used more.  Don't use it tons, but do use it semi-regularly.  Would kinda like a new one if only to charge over USB instead of Firewire.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 June 2007, 09:27:21 »

I am a big fan of the windows smartphone, i have had one ever since they first came out in 2001 and have watched them develop into something that is very usable today and does everything that i want from a device.

As for sat nav i use i-go, it's format looks to be identical to mio and i my opinion it is far faster and more acccurate than Tom Tom. the maps are seamless through europe and the POI stuff is far more useable.

Tom Tom cornered the market due to them being the first one to supply at a price that joe public could justify. I had one of the original Tom Tom Go units, this was before they started numbering them. The other thing that helped Tom Tom was the fact that they managed to get their units into the likes of Halfords.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.