Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X25XE sump  (Read 1130 times)

460coupe

• Northill, Beds
    • 2.6 Scimitar GTE 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
X25XE sump
« on: 14 January 2013, 12:52:16 »

Hi guys
will the sup from a 95- 98 2.5 Vectra fit my 2001 2.6 Omega engine, its not staying in the Omega I need it to go between narrower chassis rails in another car ( got a written off Omega as a donor car)
To clarify does this family of engines share the same basic block or are there any significant changes
Thanks in advance John
I'll Finish It One Day

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: X25XE sump
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2013, 13:16:49 »

Block is basically the same externally between the two so you should be OK. Maybe the oil pickup would need to be swapped as well? Also, bear in mind the dipstick might not read correctly any more and need recalibration.

Bear in mind that the Omega sump has been designed for the longitudinal setup and the Vectra for a transverse setup, so the baffling and pickup location might not suit it if the destination is longitudinally mounted.

Also not sure if the Vectra engine is mounted vertically like the Omega's, or canted over. That would affect sump design.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

460coupe

• Northill, Beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2013, 13:29:25 »

Thanks Kevin you'v just about covered everything I needed to know externally the Vectra sump Strangely looks like any RWD cars and is better suited to my needs, the one i'm after has the oil pick up pipe with it.
I've never seen a V6 or V8 that's wider at the bottom than the top, some thing I hadn't banked on.
Thanks again John R
I'll Finish It One Day

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2013, 14:36:21 »

just the pick up pipe to change the sump fits the same
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2013, 22:40:56 »

I've got both sumps here. It looks like the Vectra one wouldn't work in a north-south installation for the reasons that Kevin alluded to.

Omega B has a two-tier sump, with an aluminium top half and a steel pressing at the bottom.

Vectra is a conventional deep pressed steel affair, but it's rather narrow to the extent that you'd have oil starvation issues.

460coupe

• Northill, Beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2013, 01:30:04 »

The one I'm looking at is aluminiumhe, the oil pick up is in the centre the deepest part of the sump as opposed to the Omega where its again the deepest but at the front.
Many a front engine RWD set up is just like the Vectra where the deepest part of the sump and oil pick up is centre or rear to clear the front cross member.
Then again when the cars done I don't want to blow an engine I plan to rebuild from the crank up.
maybe the answers in the baffling, I plan on using the Omega one if possible.
I'll Finish It One Day

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2013, 21:41:58 »

Another Scimitar....    Can I ask you a question ?

I have at least enough parts to put together a couple of "complete drop-in" conversion for GTE owners - would it be worth my while ?

460coupe

• Northill, Beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2013, 13:19:17 »

Hi woody
If you can devise a 'drop in' conversion it should be worth while, I cant really say as to how easy it would be as there's only the body & chassis of the GTE left on my car, the original plan was a 460 ci Ford V8 (7.6 ltr), so it was cut up to take that, no slight bulkhead trimming there, cut the lot out and start again.
from what I can the later SE6 Shimitar would be your best bet for a conversion, the chassis rails are slightly wider in the engine bay, bigger gear box tunnel etc. you would have to consider fuel delivery, hooking up the ECU, prop shaft (the axle will handle just about anything you can throw at it) and engine gear box mounts
I'll Finish It One Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.