Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions/pointers  (Read 4235 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
suggestions/pointers
« on: 10 December 2012, 18:33:53 »

I'm thinking of buying a diesel engined car,so as it'll be replacing my Jaguar I'm after suggestions as to what make/model to consider.It'd have to be well specced,preferably a saloon and come in at no more than £1200,hopefully sub £1000.Now although I've been driving for more than 40 years I've never owned a diesel so regardless of make/ model,what are the basic checks to be made mechanically on a diesel?Of course I may decide to keep Jaguar and just retire it to a high days and holidays car,as I'm only thinking of making the change as the dragonlady's disabilities mean she's struggling to get into/out of it and the Mig can take up the slack as daily driver.

omega3000

Re: suggestions/pointers
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2012, 12:01:18 »

Diesel omega  :)

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2012, 17:36:46 »

1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2012, 19:39:52 »

They had crossed my mind,but which engine size?For example is the 2.2 an under powered slug or as[I assume]it's a newer engine is it as good[or better]than the 2.5 six cylinder?What are common failings on either motor?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2012, 19:54:23 »

They had crossed my mind,but which engine size?For example is the 2.2 an under powered slug or as[I assume]it's a newer engine is it as good[or better]than the 2.5 six cylinder?What are common failings on either motor?

2.2 is manual only ...... no auto option!  ;) ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2012, 20:10:02 »

Although I've had autos since the late nineties I don't much mind whether it's an auto or manual box,if the latter I'd just have to remember the third pedal and the wobbly stick for gear changes!

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2012, 21:51:26 »

diesel is a horrible, utterly spiteful fuel which belongs in space heaters and cross-channel ferries - only.

Any diesel will be terribly slow and sound just like a skeleton masturbating inside a filing cabinet. Aviod.

OOMV6

« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2012, 22:09:45 »

diesel is a horrible, utterly spiteful fuel which belongs in space heaters and cross-channel ferries - only.

Any diesel will be terribly slow and sound just like a skeleton masturbating inside a filing cabinet. Aviod.
;D

Evidently you haven't driven any modern diesel.  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2012, 22:15:25 »

;D

Just thinking the same thing ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2012, 22:22:23 »

;D

Just thinking the same thing ::)

Indeed, even the Jeep can go some if pressed......in a straight line........ :D :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2012, 22:29:35 »

Although it's not the quietest of engines, I'll take you on against quite a few of your cars in my R320.  ;) ;) ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2012, 22:34:34 »

Although it's not the quietest of engines, I'll take you on against quite a few of your cars in my R320.  ;) ;) ;)

Yes Mercedes diesel engines are surprisingly, but reassuringly, agricultural from outside, but pretty quiet inside.......... :y :y :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2012, 23:19:00 »

Aye,I know that'll shift,I look after an E320 cdi and that can shift too,come to that my Signum aint without :y
other rides 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2012, 23:45:20 »

........... I look after an E320 cdi and that can shift too, .....

I test drove one of them too ......... I was very impressed by the 60 to ??  ;) acceleration  :y :y

mantahatch

« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2012, 08:32:26 »

+1 could not agree more. Would just add they are awfull for your neighbours. when they start up on a cold morning it wakes the entire street up  ;D
« Last Edit: 12 December 2012, 08:42:15 by Mantahatch »

omega3000

« Reply #15 on: 12 December 2012, 08:41:35 »

I not had the pleasure of driving an omega diesel , i think all diesels sound like a bagonails from cold though ... my astra was the same but once warmed up you could hardly tell it was running  :D

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 December 2012, 08:43:17 »

I had a Skoda with a 1.6 diesel in it as a hire car a few months back and it didn't half go when you got the revs right.

Bloody ugly car, but surprisingly comfy.

I'd have a new diesel anytime, but can't afford one.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2012, 08:46:16 »

All the diesels that have been around for the last 6-7 years or so have the potential problem of a very expensive fuel pump failure from around 80k onwards. Something to do with how they are now built to acheive the fantastic fuel economy and BHP
Keith B

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2012, 09:47:15 »

All the diesels that have been around for the last 6-7 years or so have the potential problem of a very expensive fuel pump failure from around 80k onwards. Something to do with how they are now built to acheive the fantastic fuel economy and BHP
Keith B

Hardly a common issue, I would be far more concerned about injector failure or DMF issues.

The injectors in common rails take a real bashing and the later engines are even harder on them

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2012, 10:08:17 »

OOOHOHOOO ! With corners? Or straight drag race? ;D

Martian

« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2012, 10:19:52 »

+1 could not agree more. Would just add they are awfull for your neighbours. when they start up on a cold morning it wakes the entire street up  ;D
My brother has a Jag XF, and we have a grand C Max.....you'd be hard pushed to know either were diesel.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2012, 11:32:09 »

..and anyone following you in a rag top or on a bicycle, of course, especially if asthmatic. Horrid stinking tractors. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2012, 12:05:14 »

..and anyone following you in a rag top or on a bicycle, of course, especially if asthmatic. Horrid stinking tractors. >:(

If they follow me in my Cavalier they will be treated to the aroma of fish & chips or maybe even curry,depending where the latest batch came from. :)
Actually,maybe TB should acquire an old diesel and run it on the waste veggie oil from that curry house he frequents.He could then divert some of the exhaust gases through a pipe into the car and at long last have his perfect air freshener. :y ;D

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2012, 19:11:46 »

Granted, the most modern Diesels are much better, but still haven't got out of the "hopeless" range, certainly for me anyway.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2012, 23:30:22 »

If they follow me in my Cavalier they will be treated to the aroma of fish & chips or maybe even curry,depending where the latest batch came from. :)
Actually,maybe TB should acquire an old diesel and run it on the waste veggie oil from that curry house he frequents.He could then divert some of the exhaust gases through a pipe into the car and at long last have his perfect air freshener. :y ;D

That's probably not so bad. It's the modern diseasels that seem to be the worst for clag out the back. I guess the ones I've come across:

Are completing the daily farce of failing to complete a DPF regen on the school run

or:

Have been chipped by some teenager who advertises on Ebay to try to get some glimmer of performance out of them

or:

Have just plain suffered the neglect of a manufacturers service schedule and clearly the MOT emissions test isn't strict enough to get them off the road.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 December 2012, 01:06:26 »

Sub £1000 with masses of cheap parts.........frenchy pug. or a Renault maybe.
Our company hack for years was a pug 406 estate, I found it comfy & economical.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2012, 15:00:56 »

I have one of them as a work hack/courtesy car,197k on the clock and runs as well as ever :y
other rides 

phill osey

• holyhead gwynedd wales
    • 2.2 V6 Omega CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2012, 15:54:32 »

ROFLMAO Just wondering how 2woody would know how that sounds  :-[

Lee

love my Omega

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2012, 19:06:14 »

:-X

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 December 2012, 20:11:18 »

ROFLMAO Just wondering how 2woody would know how that sounds  :-[

Lee

My first thought was, considering basic human biology, how exactly a skeleton would have the necessary equipment to be able to carry out this task...  :-\

Perhaps I'm over thinking things!  ;D
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

OOMV6

« Reply #30 on: 13 December 2012, 20:40:29 »

I have one of them as a work hack/courtesy car,197k on the clock and runs as well as ever :y

Indeed. The 406 does do well

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 December 2012, 02:19:23 »

;D

What I miss is the lovely smell of diesel on your hands everytime you fill up.  They did solve that problem 21 years before the first diesel engine though - 1876 when the petrol engine was invented ;).

omega3000

« Reply #32 on: 14 December 2012, 13:58:29 »

Im sure Peugeot diesels stink more than any other diesel , when following any of them i just have to close all air vents as its quite overpowering  :-X

OOMV6

« Reply #33 on: 14 December 2012, 20:51:47 »

Im sure Peugeot diesels stink more than any other diesel , when following any of them i just have to close all air vents as its quite overpowering  :-X

That may or may not be so. Does not matter to the OP, 'cos if he owns it, he'll likely to be driving it, as as such unable to follow it.  ;) ;)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 December 2012, 22:45:56 »

what if he's stuck at lights and the wind is from behind and he hasn't got the auto recirculate feature

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 14 December 2012, 22:54:09 »

Will be interesting to see what car the op picks  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 December 2012, 07:52:44 »

Well so far I'm taking a slow approach as to what to do on this.My current thinking[?]so far is to[in no particular order]stick with the Jag as a part time "toy"and press the Mig v6 into more daily use,or although my preference is for a saloon go for a 2.2 Saab 9-3 which is a hatchback-is that the same engine as in the mig?-or the third option at present which was sparked by the suggestion of another mig is to indeed buy another mig but the estate car version,to compliment the saloon I have now.The question is if I go the mig route which engine should I go for the 2.2 or the 2.5[did they do a 2.0 diesel]?

omega3000

« Reply #37 on: 16 December 2012, 10:31:25 »

All i know is dont go for the auto diesel  :D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 December 2012, 12:46:35 »

;D

What I miss is the lovely smell of diesel on your hands everytime you fill up.  They did solve that problem 21 years before the first diesel engine though - 1876 when the petrol engine was invented ;).
What bugs me is that diseasal drivers seem to be so keen to share the experience that they feel compelled to splash diesel over the petrol pumps and the ground in front of them  >:(

I may have to fit an LPG conversion so I can get my own clean pump to fill up at ;D
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 December 2012, 14:34:07 »

MrsPete says you're a very naughty boy  ;)
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #40 on: 17 December 2012, 16:04:21 »

agreed both of you.. but the picture become completely intolerable when you are surrounded with diesels on a blocked traffic..

you simply cant breathe .. cant open windows.. their exhaust comes inside even with inner cycle flap closed.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

omega3000

« Reply #41 on: 17 December 2012, 19:25:27 »

agreed both of you.. but the picture become completely intolerable when you are surrounded with diesels on a blocked traffic..

you simply cant breathe .. cant open windows.. their exhaust comes inside even with inner cycle flap closed.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cant imagine a worse nightmare  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.