Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried building their own boat?  (Read 1694 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried building their own boat?
« on: 03 September 2007, 11:09:30 »

As if I wasn't busy enough I have looked into the possibility of building my own sail boat from plywood using the stitch and glue technique.

I have plans for a 17' sailboat with comprehensive cut-out plans (which I hope to get done by a pro if the price is right) detailled instructions on slapping the wood together et al and also plans for a smaller dingy sail boat.

I am quite handy, have a wide range of tools, worked with wood before building bespoke wardrobes and solid wood flooring, etc

Has anyone tried this before, any tips, advice, pointers, encouragement would be much appreciated.  

Gaffers  :D

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried building their own boat?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2007, 11:13:02 »

I thought you were being moved to Germany soon? Or did I get it wrong?
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2007, 11:18:50 »

I am, in 3 weeks to be exact, but I face the prospect of 3 months single living before I go away to sandier climbs and I want to spend my time off afterwards fishing and sailing 8-).  So I hope to get the wood before I go and find a corner of a hangar somewhere.... 8-)

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2007, 11:21:31 »

Had you thought about buying a project boat? All the planning and setting out is done for you then. Just repairing to get her 'ship shape' har har...

:y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2007, 11:51:32 »

I have and they are often more work than they are worth - besides I like a challenge!

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2007, 11:55:46 »

Perhaps you should organise a keel setting party?  ;D ;D ;D

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2007, 12:56:20 »

I am really surprised that no one has replied saying "Yes, this is how you do it"

Bloody useless lot >:(

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2007, 13:06:41 »

There are a few self build web sites - it appeals to me as well

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2007, 13:12:05 »

Built my own Sea kayak not too long ago.  Depends on the boat design you go for, but if it's wooden then there's loads of crossover techniques.  Mine was stitch and glue (Okoume Marine Ply, Epoxy, 2pac varnish).

Takes ages, but you really do get satisfaction with the finished product:

I've been out in some pretty nasty seas since, so it's had a good pounding, and it's a great little boat (18ft).

I'm reasonably handy with wood, but no expert by any means whatsoever.  If I can bodge it together, most people can.  I had to build a 23ft shed to build mine in first!  And it got varnished inside the house (good job I had doors between the living and dining room!).  Missus wasn't impressed about the varnish on the new sofa though - but since she was the one that spilt it, I got away lightly.

You'll need to become one with sanding - find the zen of sanding - you'll be doing more of that than ANYTHING else.

Usual stuff though - measure twice (once more for good measure), get a mate to agree, get the wife to agree and then cut.  Can't be your fault if it's wrong then, and if it is then you'll not get berated for buying new timber ;)

Best of luck if you do go for it!  Just remember you need somewhere to store the bugger after!

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2007, 13:16:11 »

Built my own Sea kayak not too long ago.  Depends on the boat design you go for, but if it's wooden then there's loads of crossover techniques.  Mine was stitch and glue (Okoume Marine Ply, Epoxy, 2pac varnish).

I've been out in some pretty nasty seas since, so it's had a good pounding, and it's a great little boat (18ft).

I'm reasonably handy with wood, but no expert by any means whatsoever.  If I can bodge it together, most people can.  I had to build a 23ft shed to build mine in first!  And it got varnished inside the house (good job I had doors between the living and dining room!).  Missus wasn't impressed about the varnish on the new sofa though - but since she was the one that spilt it, I got away lightly.

You'll need to become one with sanding - find the zen of sanding - you'll be doing more of that than ANYTHING else.

Usual stuff though - measure twice (once more for good measure), get a mate to agree, get the wife to agree and then cut.  Can't be your fault if it's wrong then, and if it is then you'll not get berated for buying new timber ;)

Best of luck if you do go for it!  Just remember you need somewhere to store the bugger after!

What a beautiful picture

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2007, 13:36:11 »

A very close friend of mine is a qualified skipper (and a diver) and has been hetching a plan to build his own yacht, and I would be happy to report back on any progress, but since this has been going on for over nine years now with nothing actually happening I wouldn't hold my breath...  :(
Alas, no more Omegas....

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2007, 14:42:51 »

What a beautiful picture
It would be if that piece of wood on the shore  was“nt in the picture ;D ;D ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2007, 14:44:28 »

Lovely Canoe

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2007, 14:54:26 »

I am really surprised that no one has replied saying "Yes, this is how you do it"

Bloody useless lot >:(

Technically i could answer yes and this is how you do it, but when i did it with my dad we 'cheated' a little bit because we had the full use of our joinery works and a number of proper bench joiners  ;D

Many years ago my grandad built a boat from scratch (using the skill of the above mentioned joinery works) but as hes been dead 5 years its difficult to ask how easy it was.

The first one i did with my dad was a Hornet, but we bought the bare hull and jigs then decked and finished it off.

The second one was a 27ft clinker built Stella that we had shotblasted back to bare wood and conpletely stripped inside and removed the decks, repaired the ribs that were broken, re-fitted some of the planks and replaced numerous copper rivets, then covered in West resin and fibre glass matt, then re-decked and re-fitted inside.

Basically its fairly easy to build a boat as long as the jig you are using is square and level.

I know someone who was a professional boat builder and now does it in his spare time along with some repairs, all the tools he has are the basic carpenters hand tools, a band saw and a sliding table saw.

It maybe easier for your first go to build a clinker hull rather than a carvel hull

Whatever you do good luck and it will take twice as long as you expect

« Last Edit: 04 September 2007, 07:27:35 by Phil »

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2007, 16:54:29 »

I made a plywood stich and glue kayak with my Dad when I was little.   It was from a kit so all bits supplied.  Seem to recall it being pretty straightforward.   If you've got a big hangar with flat floor that will help a lot - if it gets built skew you'll find its good at going round in circles ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.