Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Now the Dyson. Again.  (Read 6848 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Now the Dyson. Again.
« Reply #60 on: 08 October 2013, 18:18:11 »

Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #61 on: 08 October 2013, 18:52:52 »

I was told when i first bought a dyson not to throw the box away as i would soon need it to send it back faulty...i have had a dyson for 7 years and still going strong which i now use for my car and garage and my other one which is only 18 months old i use in the house..i have always used a dyson... i found dyson is best especially for pet hair...would not use any other vacum cleaner...And i still have the two boxes in the loft taking up valuable space as never needed them....So i agree with Lizzie..... :y :y

.............and what you have found is exactly what all of us Dyson fans have experienced.  Great quality, wonderful performance, tremendous reliability (saying that after now owning 6 Dyson's), and long lasting. Any that do fail are down to a lack of simple maintenance- filter cleaning - or serious abuse.

I have also found some people who run down Dyson's due to "cost" or something else, but when questioned have never actually owned one!  They have just listened  to some biased anti-comment from some who have adopted a "snooty" attitude to Dyson machines! ::) ::) ::) :P :P

Did you read my post Lizzie? I think mine was the DC03, it caught FIRE! after light use for 18 months. Ive never had a vacuum do that! It was the motor at fault, I did price up another motor for it, but iirc it was over £50 for a replacent, so I decided to buy another brand  :)

I did TD and I am sorry you suffered such an incident.  However, that must be a very rare event indeed as there would have been a recall and much press exposure, but there was not. Every manufactured electrical item always carries a risk of malfunction, but as far as I am aware the Dyson's have a very good reputation indeed. :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 08 October 2013, 20:47:09 »

At the end of the day, it is what you are happy using and it does an effective job. I couldn't say if other brands are better or worse outside of the experience I've had. My Aquavac was a cheap as chips and is still going strong after 20 years. I've replaced the filter once, and bags as they get full and the lead has broken once at the mains plug, so it is about 2" shorter than the original, besides that no problems

On the carpet washing head, the water release handle snapped in half, but it is still useable. So perfectly happy with what I use and have no plans to replace it.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 09 October 2013, 10:46:29 »

We have 4 Dyson Dc04,

one upstairs one in hall one in granny fllat, and one in garage,

all picked up on ebay cheap, garage one was free at tip, still working.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 09 October 2013, 14:55:10 »

The Dysons have a very poor reliability reputation Lizzie and yes, I can well beleave that an early one could catch fire as they regularly burnt the motors out (I hope/think Dyson finaly fitted thermal fuses in them like every other manufacturer on the planet to stop/reduce this).

I have said many times, the best bit about them is the marketing and the best bit of marketing is the clear dust collection vessel.

They did do a lot of good in bringing innovation back to the market and were the first to use multi horse power motors which is the key thing that got them a market lead (this being the main reason why people noticed such a huge difference to thier old units) but, the market has moved on a lot and way overtaken them.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2013, 16:22:25 by Fuse18 »

albitz

« Reply #65 on: 09 October 2013, 14:59:58 »

At last, a voice of reason. ::) ;D
I actually had one of my occasional vacuuming episodes this morning (happens a couple of times a year) and I had forgotten just how good the Sebo airbelt K3 was. Its a superb little machine.

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/sebo-k3-premium-vacuum-cleaner?gclid=CKbSwvn0iboCFVMQtAodaE4A1g

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 09 October 2013, 16:18:33 »

I am not saying what manufacturer/model of vaccuming device we have.  :-X

albitz

« Reply #67 on: 09 October 2013, 17:14:23 »

Shall we start a poll ?  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 09 October 2013, 18:07:40 »

Someone said to me.

"What are you all chatting about on that Omega site of yours at the moment then?"   ::)  ;D

I couldn't tell a lie and replied "Vacuum cleaners...... "  :-[ :-[ :-[  :-\ :-\ :-\  ;D ;D ;D

Are we really so sad?  :-\ :-\ :-\  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

MR MISTER

« Reply #69 on: 09 October 2013, 18:13:38 »

Someone said to me.

"What are you all chatting about on that Omega site of yours at the moment then?"   ::)  ;D

I couldn't tell a lie and replied "Vacuum cleaners...... "  :-[ :-[ :-[  :-\ :-\ :-\  ;D ;D ;D

Are we really so sad?  :-\ :-\ :-\  ;D ;D ;D
Better than turnips, Worzel.  ;D

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #70 on: 09 October 2013, 18:18:42 »

big old orange vax combi vacuum and carpet shampoo thingy here,  in fact got 2 of them, one for work and one for home....   pretty much bullet proof operationally,  casing tends to crack around the wheel spigots on the base....   but still works fine....     

copes with anything and everything.....   
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #71 on: 09 October 2013, 18:19:37 »

and when i say work, i mean the building site type bit of my acoustics work......   not the nice shiny studio bit
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 09 October 2013, 18:21:59 »

My grandson is fascinated by hoovers - he has 6 or 7 at his house and 3 or 4 at ours. He watches Hoover/Dyson/Vax You Tube clips and clicks on the ipad himself - things like -"changing a clutch on a Dyson".

Effectively white goods shops are toy shops and he goes to check out all the pressable buttons on everything.

He will sometimes empty crumbs on the ground and then say he needs to hoover. It is quite strange. He will ask a stranger "do you have a Dyson?". If we go to someone elses house he is usually checking out the under stairs cupboard for equipment. He might have a field day under Guffer's stairs of course.

The daily bribe goes something like - "if you are a good boy you can use the big hoover".

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 October 2013, 18:28:37 »

The Dysons have a very poor reliability reputation Lizzie and yes, I can well beleave that an early one could catch fire as they regularly burnt the motors out (I hope/think Dyson finaly fitted thermal fuses in them like every other manufacturer on the planet to stop/reduce this).

I have said many times, the best bit about them is the marketing and the best bit of marketing is the clear dust collection vessel.

They did do a lot of good in bringing innovation back to the market and were the first to use multi horse power motors which is the key thing that got them a market lead (this being the main reason why people noticed such a huge difference to thier old units) but, the market has moved on a lot and way overtaken them.
Being one of the early DC04s, I can confirm that mine has always have a thermal fuse in the motor - that was the first fault Dyson fixed under warranty ;D

I would assume they have used them ever since, esp as even the pikey chinese replacement motors for less than £20 have them fitted ;D

Anything with 240v with some current capability running through it has the potential to catch fire quite spectacularly. So the lovely girlie with the tight t-shirt and big hooba-loobas from the fire service was explaining, after the horse had bolted.  Though I wasn't paying too much attention on what she was saying, I needed all my skills to not dribble.

I think in the 90s, the reason everyone said Dysons were the mutts is because it was the first time in ages when people binned their old cylinder vacs and went back to uprights, with carpet beaters/brushbars, which are obviously more effective.

I think, as an upright, they are better than average performance wise (if "serviced" properly), but made from some bloody shoddy materials.

Would I buy another? Based on the experiences I've had with this one, yup, Dyson would most definately be on the shortlist.
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #74 on: 09 October 2013, 18:58:13 »

Modern cylinder vacs have powered brush heads/ carpet beaters. Cable runs down the tube part and plugs into the head. ;)
I was disappointed with the results of ours this morning until I realised I had forgot to plug the leccy connector into the head,so the brush wasn't spinning. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.