Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent speedo and rev counter failure  (Read 5117 times)

animal65

• SWINDON
    • VAUXHALL OMEGA ELITE 3.0
    • View Profile
Intermittent speedo and rev counter failure
« on: 15 June 2013, 21:48:35 »

Ok i have a 1999 omega mini facelift and if i use the car several times through out the day i lose speedo and rev counter also have problems with battery it can drain overnight it may work on start up i park the car for 10 mins go to restart and no speedo or rev counter anyideas. With the power sounder it has never worked even changed the battery to a new the car had been standing for 14 months could this be related to all this issues im having with the car

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent speedo and rev counter failure
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2013, 11:11:37 »

Ok i have a 1999 omega mini facelift and if i use the car several times through out the day i lose speedo and rev counter also have problems with battery it can drain overnight it may work on start up i park the car for 10 mins go to restart and no speedo or rev counter anyideas. With the power sounder it has never worked even changed the battery to a new the car had been standing for 14 months could this be related to all this issues im having with the car
remove it mate http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90675.0 -                                                                                                     they been known to turn miggy into inferno :o and you need to make sure you got dash inserted correctly-as contacts behind clocks :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2013, 16:08:15 »

Try removing and reseating dash ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2013, 11:28:33 »

Done that chap both needles shake and then don't work have removed and put back in but still intermittently stops working

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2013, 11:32:34 »

Try a known working instrument cluster, I had to change mine at 200k because it started over reading by about 30% before giving up the ghost completely.

Problem not reappeared since :y

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2013, 23:44:33 »

Ok so now i have more electrical issues with this bloody car the tc light now comes on and stay on i did have a warning message  all it displayed was automatic gearbox, it changes badly from 1st to 2nd gear, sport mode works intermittently and finally the little mini display that gives average speed fuel consumption etc no longer gives any of the averages. Any ideas as im bloody pulling my hair out thanks all

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2013, 06:37:43 »

Ok so now i have more electrical issues with this bloody car the tc light now comes on and stay on i did have a warning message  all it displayed was automatic gearbox, it changes badly from 1st to 2nd gear, sport mode works intermittently and finally the little mini display that gives average speed fuel consumption etc no longer gives any of the averages. Any ideas as im bloody pulling my hair out thanks all

The ABS ECU has failed. Either replace with a working unit from a car of the same year/engine, or send it to BBA Reman or similar for repair :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2013, 20:22:00 »

The ABS ECU has failed. Either replace with a working unit from a car of the same year/engine, or send it to BBA Reman or similar for repair :y

Abs ecu wouldn't account for the rev counter dying though ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2013, 20:34:03 »

reckon clocks are fekd IMO  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2013, 22:57:00 »

True, but all the speed/distance info is driven by a pulse from the ABS ECU. Without the intermittent TC/ABS lights, I would agree about the clocks cluster being kaput, as mine did same thing :y

All the symptoms together add up to the ABS ECU :-\

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2013, 23:42:58 »

t/c light is on on the actual button this has only just started happening and the tc now displays on dash anyone know where i can source the cluster unit for reasonable price ???????????

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2013, 23:47:32 »

True, but all the speed/distance info is driven by a pulse from the ABS ECU. Without the intermittent TC/ABS lights, I would agree about the clocks cluster being kaput, as mine did same thing :y

All the symptoms together add up to the ABS ECU :-\

Agree with Henryd & symes - unlikely to be abs ecu as this won't affect rev counter.  Gauges or cluster dodgy imo ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2013, 23:52:25 »

not very tech whats imo ??

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2013, 00:02:54 »

not very tech whats imo ??

"In my opinion". :y

Should be able to get a cluster from someone who is breaking a car in the parts for sale section.I think they are the same across the range,but might be best to confirm that.Might also be easier to try to get one with similar mileage to your car ? :-\
I may even have one or two sitting around somewhere myself actually.Would need to check.

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2013, 00:44:48 »

thanks all

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2013, 00:48:42 »

No problem Chap  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2013, 10:19:19 »

Petrol and diesel ones different, and ideally you want one from a car that had the same size wheels at the factory :y

Which would probably mean one from another mfl elite :y

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2013, 16:25:47 »

animal65 came around earlier today and fitted my spare clocks which were going to be filed as no good to me now--they eliminated all his woes-gearbox faults etc--go figure- :y :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2013, 16:29:33 »

animal65 came around earlier today and fitted my spare clocks which were going to be filed as no good to me now--they eliminated all his woes-gearbox faults etc--go figure- :y :y

Result  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2013, 17:36:01 »

Nice one symes :y

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2013, 17:50:34 »

animal65

• SWINDON
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2013, 20:16:30 »

Thanks ever so much chap i cant believe it removed all other problems just changing the cluster unit i am one happy chap great result and sound guy symes once again thank you so much will get those light dug out and sent off to you or pop them over in my fully functioning omega lol driving will probably be cheaper than post lol

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2013, 20:25:31 »

no problem mate-enjoyed the chat :y :y :y and anytime -pop over :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.