Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need to go out and drive more  (Read 1897 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
I need to go out and drive more
« on: 11 March 2007, 18:54:08 »

Been really busy recently and generally i only drive through my local town go to to train station.
Yesterday i ventured further and did a 15 mile each way motorway trip to Glasgow.

Clearly my lack of recent driving has rufled my aggressive streak and let me lose my control..

Had 4 run in`s with other drivers on the journey

1. A white van at 60mph on the outside lane of three - no other traffic. Depite flashing him he remained there - so i undertook him. Lots of gesticulating and headlight flashing.
2. A rover 827 and caravan wandering onto my lane indicator free - similar reaction from both drivers.
3. Another white van - see point 1.
4. An audi a3 1.8t that followed points 1 and 3. This one however was different as rather than pull in he decided to speed up and up and up and at 100mph i was still stuck to his arse flashing him in.

None of these incidents were my fault but reminded me of the following

That the majority of drivers cant drive and dont know the highway code.
That white vans still follow their stereotype
That caravans still cause chaos
That the Omega is a fantastic performer against hot hatches

That i need to drive more as my rustyness caused me to lose temper and commit offences  :(

Thoughts?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: I need to go out and drive more
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2007, 19:12:08 »

That i need to drive more as my rustyness caused me to lose temper and commit offences  :(

Thoughts?

And ....... breathe!  ;D

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2007, 19:23:09 »

Thoughts?

And ....... breathe!  ;D

Absolutely  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2007, 19:35:46 »

i wouldnt narrow it down to just white vans, but pretty much ALL unmarked vans of all sizes!!

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2007, 19:48:36 »

Thoughts?

Martin? [smiley=evil.gif]

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2007, 19:50:24 »

Take a punt on the continent.  Restores faith in how driving should take place on motorways....

B

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2007, 19:54:27 »

That white vans still follow their stereotype

That the Omega is a fantastic performer against hot hatches

Sorry to hear about your 4 "encounters" toady.  Demonstrates the general poor driving that is to be found out there.

However, in addition to the Omega, I also have a white Transit.  I go out of my way when driving this not to be like "white van man" giving way, letting people out etc.  The look of surprise that I get from car drivers when I have let them out is sometimes priceless!  Sadly, most van drivers don't give a damn and drive as if they own the road which gives the rest of us a bad name.

And yes, the Omega is a fantastic performer.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2007, 19:55:21 by x25xe »
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2007, 19:54:59 »

Thoughts?

Rover 800 is the operative bit here, people who have crap cars and tow generally are crap.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2007, 20:22:48 »

Thoughts?

Rover 800 is the operative bit here, people who have crap cars and tow generally are crap.

;D  yes i am stereotyping - agreed    :P

And Broocie - Driing in Belgium does indeed show how it should be done!!
« Last Edit: 11 March 2007, 20:24:47 by Markiec »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2007, 20:41:38 »

Thoughts?

The car is irrelevent, its the caravans that should be banned...
Grumpy old man

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2007, 21:00:53 »

I suferred slow drivers in the fast lane yesterday driving down the A2, and driving up the M11 yesterday. Another facelift meega I passed yesterday in Dartford area flashed me, not sure if that was because I was going faster than him or he seen the OOF sticker :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2007, 21:03:26 »

Thoughts?

Explain your 218TD and caravan then!

Not suprised you want them banned after that ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2007, 21:05:20 »

Thoughts?

It wasn't mine. However, it confirmed my fears that anyone wanting to have a bedsit tied to the back of a car is one piston short of a v6...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2007, 21:21:02 »

Thoughts?

It wasn't mine. However, it confirmed my fears that anyone wanting to have a bedsit tied to the back of a car is one piston short of a v6...

Exactly - you haven't towed with a car with a decent amount of power, I found even the 2.0 was capable and would maintain road speeds no problem.

The 2.6 coped very well on both of last years holidays, I held noone up over the mid Wales mountains and still had a fun drive, I did see some bad driving notably the 4x4 and caravan ahead of me who would not go over 40 - he pulled over when I flashed him - then the whole queue flew past, I slowed and pulled over in a long layby about 4 miles later and let 3 cars behind me past, they waved thanks! while I rejoined straight after.

In Cornwall I lost a TLGP to a Volvo V70 but he had to go flat out to get past, he didn't expect what happened, but I do find solo cars will go mad to pass then slow down after holding you up. If you want to pass me make sure that you are passing because you are going faster not because I am towing a caravan.

I find I get very little problems as I keep in lane, keep speed up when sensible, not afraid to use the cars power, and if I am leading a queue (once so far) I pull over when safe and sensible and easy for everyone. Most people who can drive and want to go faster willl pass safely.

Then should set a power/weight minimum limit of 45bhp/ton which is easily acheivable mine is 65-70bhp/ton depending on load. 45 is acheivable by a 2.0 and a laden van, and is the lowest pwr I would have towed at, any less I feel would be dangerous.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2007, 21:27:47 »

Thoughts?

Exactly - you haven't towed with a car with a decent amount of power, I found even the 2.0 was capable and would maintain road speeds no problem.

The 2.6 coped very well on both of last years holidays, I held noone up over the mid Wales mountains and still had a fun drive, I did see some bad driving notably the 4x4 and caravan ahead of me who would not go over 40 - he pulled over when I flashed him - then the whole queue flew past, I slowed and pulled over in a long layby about 4 miles later and let 3 cars behind me past, they waved thanks! while I rejoined straight after.

In Cornwall I lost a TLGP to a Volvo V70 but he had to go flat out to get past, he didn't expect what happened, but I do find solo cars will go mad to pass then slow down after holding you up. If you want to pass me make sure that you are passing because you are going faster not because I am towing a caravan.

I find I get very little problems as I keep in lane, keep speed up when sensible, not afraid to use the cars power, and if I am leading a queue (once so far) I pull over when safe and sensible and easy for everyone. Most people who can drive and want to go faster willl pass safely.

Then should set a power/weight minimum limit of 45bhp/ton which is easily acheivable mine is 65-70bhp/ton depending on load. 45 is acheivable by a 2.0 and a laden van, and is the lowest pwr I would have towed at, any less I feel would be dangerous.
Remember, having access to a range of 4x4's, I have towed with far better tow cars than Omega ;).  I have also towed far heavier things that caravans.

The car is not the problem (actually, the 218TD wasn't too bad, though anything above 70 I imagine would take some winding up), its the mobile bedsits clogging up our country lanes in the summer.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.