Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car scams  (Read 2031 times)

spacekid2009

Car scams
« on: 10 February 2010, 21:17:55 »

Has anyone ever been blatantly ripped off, just been watching a police programme on beeb 1, some guy paid £6000 for a caravan, met the guy in a layby, no paperwork, police took it off him, just made me think, has anyone had similar experiences? By the way, i know it's his own fault, but you can't help feeling for the fella, some people are too trusting.

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
Re: Car scams
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2010, 21:44:41 »

yeah just been watching that myself,have bought a few cars in that situation ( apart from no paperwork ) and just been lucky i guess

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2010, 22:03:55 »

Has anyone ever been blatantly ripped off, just been watching a police programme on beeb 1, some guy paid £6000 for a caravan, met the guy in a layby, no paperwork, police took it off him, just made me think, has anyone had similar experiences? By the way, i know it's his own fault, but you can't help feeling for the fella, some people are too trusting.

Just seen that myself. Pretty naive really, but it shows that it happens.

I idin't know that caravans came with a factory fit ID chip!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2010, 22:12:37 »

Not all do .. but midrange and up for the last 8-10 years have ..... the one I have now came with alarm, chip and factory fitted tracker .. and its not one of the really expensive ones either .. :)

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2010, 22:15:46 »

Meeting in a lay by and buying without seeing paperwork......what else did he expect.....??

Numpty

::)
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2010, 22:16:59 »

Not all do .. but midrange and up for the last 8-10 years have ..... the one I have now came with alarm, chip and factory fitted tracker .. and its not one of the really expensive ones either .. :)

Yes, but is it fitted with a sprinkler system..... ;D ;D ;D

waspy

« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2010, 22:19:04 »

Meeting in a lay by and buying without seeing paperwork......what else did he expect.....??

Numpty

Deserve all they get for being so stupid :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2010, 22:22:34 »

Numpty

I don't think they are stupid .. they are GREEDY ..  these "sales" are at ridiculously cheap values .. and the greedy sods think they are getting something for nothing. Serves them right when they get stung IMHO.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2010, 22:23:01 »

A (now, sadly, late) friend of mine got scammed for about 9 grand by one of the Nigerian 419 scams for a car.  He asked me for advice after he had done the Western Union cash transfer from his local post office.

Such was the impact on his family and life, he took the bravest (but saddest) option open to him and drew a line under himself.

Really miss the chap.... :'(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2010, 22:51:12 »

A (now, sadly, late) friend of mine got scammed for about 9 grand by one of the Nigerian 419 scams for a car.  He asked me for advice after he had done the Western Union cash transfer from his local post office.

Such was the impact on his family and life, he took the bravest (but saddest) option open to him and drew a line under himself.

What a sad end for a relatively modest sum of money!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2010, 22:55:53 »

What a sad end for a relatively modest sum of money!

Certainly is.  Saddest thing is, fella was not stupid.  Far from it in fact.  But he was gullible, however, and fell for a combination of fancy sales patter and a degree of computer innocence.

I tried all manner of ways via contacts at (the then) work, who still are very clever in computer analysis and similar, but to no avail.  Once you punt your cash through Western Union, its gone...

Relatively modest amount of dosh to some, but a lot of blood, sweat, tears and overtime to him to get a larger car for his growing family.

Hey Ho.... 
« Last Edit: 10 February 2010, 22:57:49 by hotel21 »

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2010, 23:17:03 »

You see ads on ebay for cars like Merc 350 SLK's, couple of years old for say £7K.
The seller will tell you it's in France or Italy, but RHD on UK plates and wants money handing over before he ships it over to you.
Yeah, right!!!

We buy any car. com - that's a proper swindle!!!
Some people we know are emigrating in June, called up WBAC.com about their Vectra, and were told they'd buy for £3700 and to go to Carcraft. Result - only paid £3400ish for it a few months ago.

OK, so my thinking.......... they'll go to Carcraft then get told it's worth alot less cos of (insert excuse here..........) and end up poorer for it, whilst being nagged to buy a car from Carcraft.
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2010, 23:21:48 »

OK, so my thinking.......... they'll go to Carcraft then get told it's worth alot less cos of (insert excuse here..........) and end up poorer for it, whilst being nagged to buy a car from Carcraft.

Correct!  :y http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1265832024/all

spacekid2009

« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2010, 20:32:22 »

These scammers don't realise, or don't care what impact it will have on people, they prey on the weak, and don't give a second thought to the turmoil their greed can create, i know we all love a bargain, but don't ever EVER, let a good deal cloud your judgement, cover your own back every time, no bargain is worth that much. R I P to your friend.

v6fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2010, 20:37:47 »

Numpty

I don't think they are stupid .. they are GREEDY ..  these "sales" are at ridiculously cheap values .. and the greedy sods think they are getting something for nothing. Serves them right when they get stung IMHO.
hear hear , greedy so an sos lol
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 18 queries.