Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A striaghtfoward service.... not...  (Read 1184 times)

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
A striaghtfoward service.... not...
« on: 12 February 2010, 16:48:22 »

So I bought my Omega 3 weeks ago.. (haven't had a chance to upload photos with all the snowing, hoping tomorrow to wash and take some nice shots)...
Anyway Last week I took it to the Opel dealer for a service, and after an hour they came back to me with a list of what needs to be fixed, consisting of:

- head gasket
- steering arms replacing
- front ball joints both sides replaced.

To which they wanted to charge 500 euro for the repairs. So I booked the car in for today and when I dropped it in, asked that they only do the head gasket and try to fix the oil leak i'd found, if it could be done for 200 euro or less (im quite short on money at the moment)

Went to pick the omega up this evening and was told that in the process of replacing the gasket they found the oil and water mixing and so I now also need to get repaired/replaced
- the oil cooler
- Sump
- and a couple of seals replaced

Which is going to cost me a staggering 600 euro. on top of the 300 euro that the steering repairs are going to cost.

I asked the mechanic how long he thinks the engine would last before I really need to get around to it, to which he replied I should have 2 months easy, and anything up to 5000km but not long trips..

Now usually I would have done some of these repairs myself, but Im living in Slovakia without much tools and only parking on the street..
Have been thinking about it all evening and wondering, the car yard gave me as part of the contract for the car that they guarentee the engine for 1 year or 12 000km.. Which means I might go down there and try to get them to pay for these repairs, its cheaper than them getting the whole engine replaced when it does eventually fail...

does anyone like my odds?? :D

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: A striaghtfoward service.... not...
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2010, 16:52:30 »

sounds like where you took it doesnet know much about omegas. dont go back there. if you have warranty take report from garage with you and ask who you got it from to repair it.

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2010, 16:55:34 »

I would hope they know alot about Omega's. they were the cities opel dealer!!!  :-? :-? :-? :-/
It might sound wrong cause its a bit lost in translation.. I can't speak slovak and they don't speak much english, so some of it is just guesswork from both sides using dictionaries to translate..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2010, 18:07:33 »

Unfortunately it sounds like Oil Cooler Failed and wrongly diagnosed as Head Gasket >:( >:( >:(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2010, 18:16:33 »

I'm going to be pretty p*$$#d if it is wrongly diagnosed, as I have already paid out the 200 euro for the head gasket replacing a good news this afternoon..  :-[

is there a way I could have easily found out that it was just the oil cooler that had failed??
*just so I can go kick myself for wasting money*

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2010, 18:34:39 »

Defo wrong diagnosis....thats an oil cooler failure....and the muppets have thought it was head gasket.

Sad, very sad

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2010, 18:51:00 »

I'm going to be pretty p*$$#d if it is wrongly diagnosed, as I have already paid out the 200 euro for the head gasket replacing a good news this afternoon..  :-[

is there a way I could have easily found out that it was just the oil cooler that had failed??
*just so I can go kick myself for wasting money*

Yes, mayo in the header tank....pretty much impossible for it to be headgasket (the reasons why I have described on here many times)

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2010, 18:53:54 »

There has been a small amount of Mayo under the oil cap.. but Ive also had a small oil leak, so thought that perhaps in all this cold weather that moisture was getting in where they proposed a leak in gasket..

Dam I wish I still had the tools and garage to check this stuff myself..
Guess thats a price you pay when moving to the other side of the world :(

gra11

• Dunbar, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2010, 22:09:02 »

You should of not paid for the head gasket anyway. I would of taken it straight back to the company I bought it from if I found out something like that was wrong especially when it was bought with a warranty!
If you ain't fast! Your (in a diesel)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.