Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why VX?  (Read 2296 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Why VX?
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2010, 09:23:20 »

No, the problem is the market sector it sits in.....a BMW is worth nothing if it does not have a book full of stamps....and the servicing is extortionate for what they do.

But, as a result, BMW owners rarely miss a service.....how many Vx owners stick to the service regime....and how many moan like hell if the service is expensive becasue everything that needs doing is done. As a result, corners get cut and and the results seen.

But, the 6 cylinder BMW lump does have a few key floors....the main one being the stupidly short service intervals and it has issues in every platform its used in.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2010, 22:40:50 »

The youngest of these are now approaching their tenth birthday.
Poor-quality workmanship at service-time, neglect, and oft-missed services all contribute to a (nowadays) costly and time-consuming effort on our part. TheBoy's correct, so unless you're lucky enough to get your hands on a well-cherished example, (like our latest job), you can well expect a thin wallet! Been there, and experienced that with my first example. Really good 'uns are like rocking-horse s**te!

Something that I've noticed though ......
Our latest TD is a late '99 mini-facelift, and has totally better performance than it's predecessor (a '98 TD). All the '99-onwards TDs that I've experienced are the same, and all are unchipped.

Question: Did Vx re-map them from '99 onwards to give them more beans?
Anyone?
« Last Edit: 11 February 2010, 22:41:59 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2010, 22:56:36 »

Beemer owners, on the whole, probably just take it to a stealer with a pot of Vaseline a the slightest hint of a problem.

Add to that the fact that BMWs generally don't warn their drivers of problems via the EML, and fault codes are probably just silently corrected and added to the bill at service time.

That's if they don't end up on the back of a recovery truck, of course, where so many BMWs are visible these days. That's what I call an ultimate driving machine! Getting home while burning someone else's diesel. ;)

Kevin

I thought the Vaseline was on the beemer 'options' list.. ::)

Yep, the options box under Indicators.............
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2010, 10:14:32 »

I thought the Vaseline was on the beemer 'options' list.. ::)

Yep, the options box under Indicators.............

Yes, and whilst you can get away without the optional indicators and ignore the irate motorists gesticulating at you, doing without the optional vaseline is going to smart a bit. :o

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2010, 23:53:14 »

de-tuned it, at request of BMW. They did not want their lump at full performance. Chipped they are back to what they should be.
I thought it was de tuned so the autobox could cope a little better ::)

Yes, probably Pete, along with the fact that BM might lose sales to Vx otherwise.
Market forces and all that ..........
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.