Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vectra Question  (Read 1152 times)

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
Vectra Question
« on: 13 February 2010, 10:58:04 »

Hi All

Does a 1.8, 1998 Vectra have safe valves so if the cambelt snaps it doesn't generally bend them? I think its the Ecotech engine.

Might be able to lay my hands on one with a knackered w/pump and stripped timing belt.

Cheers

Wayne

Welung666

Re: Vectra Question
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2010, 11:28:32 »

IIRC it's only the 8v engines that have the safe valves.

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2010, 12:05:58 »

Had a horrible feeling it didn't. Oh well, another quick money making scheme out of the window! :( >:( :( >:(

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2010, 12:14:29 »

Depends how fast the engine was running at the time? Easiest/cheapest way if you did take it on would be source a 2nd hand head, new HG set, timing belt kit and just do a head swop. Depends what they want for the car in the first place and what spec/history/condition the car is in?

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2010, 12:29:11 »

Just seen a complete engine for £100ovno. The car is a 1.8 LS in pretty good nick, 97/R, 89,000 miles, same owner last 4 years, just cant afford the repairs (neither can I, thats where the parents come into it), may be able to get the car for £100. Few days tax and MOT till April. Would just like to get a couple of hundred profit if I could, I have seen these going in average nick for £600 with a lot more miles. May even keep it for myself and sell the Mig :( :(

Welung666

« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2010, 16:59:51 »

S/H head will set you back £30 and say another £60 for the head set and timing belt. Making an MOT'd car for less that £200, easy peasy a days work and sell it for a monkey? Easy money mate ;)

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2010, 17:09:39 »

Managed to have a look this afternoon, its nearly spotless. Local car, tiny bit of bubbling on one rear arch, new battery, alloys, good tyres. Interior is really smart and well looked after.

Made the offer, £100, said he'd have a think about it and get back to me anytime from now, so fingers crossed ;) ;) ;)

It will leave me with a bit of a decision though, do I sell it straight on once work is done, do I keep it and get rid of the wifes very very economical but in every other way knackered Audi 80, or do I get shot of my Miggy once the HG is done (must admit, im a bit twitchy about it going yet again, it wasn't done that long before I got it)

I'll keep you posted.

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2010, 17:15:34 »

Any idea where heads are for £30 Lee, looked on Ebay and Preloved and their starting at £75-£80.

Cheers

Wayne

Welung666

« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2010, 17:16:53 »

I'll have a phone round in the morning :y

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2010, 18:09:18 »

When i had my 2.2 i think i read somewhere that these engines actually fail to safe if anything goes wrong,which there maybe a bit of truth in it,because when my timing chain jumped a link or two,no engine damage was done,but then again if it had jumped anymore than that,who knows what would have happened. :-/
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

spacekid2009

« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2010, 18:26:19 »

Squealy, hate to see anyone struggle, google Douglas valley breakers, they're in Wigan and sell damaged repairables, you might find something there that needs a small repair and you'll get a bit of profit from it, if anything else comes up, i'll let you know. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.