Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Major Service Woe or Two  (Read 3802 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Major Service Woe or Two
« Reply #60 on: 15 January 2022, 08:05:30 »

How I miss the simplicity of past cars with a coil, distributor, contact, leads to each plug witch had a simple connector that was easily changed!  My A40 was a doddle to work on compared to these modern machines!  Are the electrics going to be easier? ;D ;D

I miss points, condensers & dizzys like a hole in the head .... they were a pain in the harris!!

And though I've yet to replace an exhaust on either Smart (different engines), I doubt that's correct. They're not the easiest of cars to work on engine wise

Ah yes, but getting the timing just right after fitting new points/dis etc. gave a certain    satisfaction.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 08:07:46 by Shackeng »

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15 January 2022, 09:37:48 »

How I miss the simplicity of past cars with a coil, distributor, contact, leads to each plug witch had a simple connector that was easily changed!  My A40 was a doddle to work on compared to these modern machines!  Are the electrics going to be easier? ;D ;D

I miss points, condensers & dizzys like a hole in the head .... they were a pain in the harris!!

And though I've yet to replace an exhaust on either Smart (different engines), I doubt that's correct. They're not the easiest of cars to work on engine wise

Ah yes, but getting the timing just right after fitting new points/dis etc. gave a certain    satisfaction.
Yes the satisfaction of getting something like an MGB to run sweet , balancing twin SUs !!!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15 January 2022, 13:01:25 »

And though I've yet to replace an exhaust on either Smart (different engines), I doubt that's correct. They’re not the easiest of cars to work on engine wise

I loved doing all the ‘stuff’ on the old cars, and got great satisfaction in setting the timing.  Yes we had to use feeler gauges more, but what simplistic fun that was.  We were in charge then, but now when servicing or repairing my Omega, like all modern cars, I feel the car is in charge with all the bloody sensors we have to obey! :o :o ;D ;D

No fun now, just I have to do it, a slave to my car ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15 January 2022, 13:03:38 »

Yes, it certainly did :D :y

But, I was much younger then…….!!! ::) ::) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 January 2022, 15:25:17 »

Yes, they are the first thing to get rid of on an old car. Especially now that high quality points and condensers are hard to find.
And aftermarket electronic ignition systems have become loads more reliable than those in the 70/80s
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 January 2022, 15:29:31 »

Its not really that different, only stuff is done in software, and the feedback is in black and white, rather than by gut feel. Which leads to more consistent accuracy.  But essentially, you are still looking at the same things for incorrect running, just on a screen instead.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 15 January 2022, 15:50:39 »

Its not really that different, only stuff is done in software, and the feedback is in black and white, rather than by gut feel. Which leads to more consistent accuracy.  But essentially, you are still looking at the same things for incorrect running, just on a screen instead.

Yes TB, I know.  Modern cars are certainly better in so many ways, and not just greatly assisted by all the electronic gizmos, such as big end failures are now almost non-existent, piston ring failures the same, and as for head gasket break-downs..........well, I suppose the list is endless.  The time we used to see the same old brands of cars broken down at the side of the road!!

So, yes once I take off my rose coloured glasses........................................I still miss the simplistic fun of working on the old cars, but not at the side of a lonely road............without a mobile phone to summon help! :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15 January 2022, 16:35:35 »

Yes, they are the first thing to get rid of on an old car. Especially now that high quality points and condensers are hard to find.
And aftermarket electronic ignition systems have become loads more reliable than those in the 70/80s
Does anyone remember Sparkrite system? i fitted one on one of mine , but can't remember which one. :-[

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 16 January 2022, 13:24:26 »

And though I've yet to replace an exhaust on either Smart (different engines), I doubt that's correct. They’re not the easiest of cars to work on engine wise

I loved doing all the ‘stuff’ on the old cars, and got great satisfaction in setting the timing.  Yes we had to use feeler gauges more, but what simplistic fun that was.  We were in charge then, but now when servicing or repairing my Omega, like all modern cars, I feel the car is in charge with all the bloody sensors we have to obey! :o :o ;D ;D

I used to set the ignition timing on my RD 250 like this.

Screwdriver down the plug hole to locate TDC.

Homemade light bulb connected  to the points to check when they opened. It worked pretty well most of the time although I did end up with a holed piston once after a long flat out thrash during the peak of summer. :-X

A dial gauge may have been more accurate but I couldn't afford one. :'(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 16 January 2022, 13:43:29 »

I used to set the ignition timing on my RD 250 like this.

Screwdriver down the plug hole to locate TDC.

Homemade light bulb connected  to the points to check when they opened. It worked pretty well most of the time although I did end up with a holed piston once after a long flat out thrash during the peak of summer. :-X

A dial gauge may have been more accurate but I couldn't afford one. :'(

Yes those days of poverty mechanics, working with the few tools we could afford to keep our old machines going by a wing and a prayer, learning on the job. Still have fond memories of all that ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.