Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed Camera Vans!!!!  (Read 1446 times)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
Speed Camera Vans!!!!
« on: 08 February 2008, 17:13:40 »

Folks,

Yesterday I was invited into a Speed Camera Van which was located next to where I was working on the highway.  Really nice guys doing a honest days work in my opinion, I was privy to a full demonstration of the recording systems, the use of the laser etc...  It IS fair, I've got to say!  The operator displayed that the camera / laser cannot be tricked, the orientation is monitored every 3/10 ths of a second, therefore if the kit is knocked very slightly or a truck passed and shakes the van it shows up as an error..

I witnessed a white van really moving towards us, the laser trained on the flat surface of his number plate, he spotted the van and coincidently braked heavy at the time that the operator pulled the trigger, the front of the van dipped, thus throwing up an error.

They previously did an Audi A8 for 46mph in a 30mph...  "Was it you JIM?" ::)  They were well visible yet he still chose to blast on through, Oh Well!

Incidently, if any of you have laser detectors, they'll only detect laser when he pulls the trigger...  by then, you've got a ticket!!!!! :(

Just to end this post, though I know that most of us like to get the hammer down, it's appears unfair when we get a ticket, BUT, what I've seen, it's a fair system...

Moral:  Don't speed, or pay the price!!!!!!!

DC :)

Do it right, do it once................

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Camera Vans!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2008, 17:17:46 »

Camera Vans are fine in towns, but really annoy me on motorways!

I got a scare on the M4... doing 84 and past one. Not got anything yet, touch wood!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2008, 17:20:02 »

Not directly related, but on the topic of camera vans... London is full of them. Some are Police, some carry the Congestion Charge logo, some the council logo, and some are just white vans... and not only vans, they have these little Smart cars with a CCTV mounted on a long mast... looks very odd.

Anyway, it seems that these are now very prolific, and are used for everything from speeding, road tax, congestion charge, as well as for number plate detection by the security services (and some also also facial features detection).

Alas, no more Omegas....

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2008, 17:20:20 »

Folks,

Yesterday I was invited into a Speed Camera Van which was located next to where I was working on the highway.  Really nice guys doing a honest days work in my opinion, I was privy to a full demonstration of the recording systems, the use of the laser etc...  It IS fair, I've got to say!  The operator displayed that the camera / laser cannot be tricked, the orientation is monitored every 3/10 ths of a second, therefore if the kit is knocked very slightly or a truck passed and shakes the van it shows up as an error..

I witnessed a white van really moving towards us, the laser trained on the flat surface of his number plate, he spotted the van and coincidently braked heavy at the time that the operator pulled the trigger, the front of the van dipped, thus throwing up an error.

They previously did an Audi A8 for 46mph in a 30mph...  "Was it you JIM?" ::)  They were well visible yet he still chose to blast on through, Oh Well!

Incidently, if any of you have laser detectors, they'll only detect laser when he pulls the trigger...  by then, you've got a ticket!!!!! :(

Just to end this post, though I know that most of us like to get the hammer down, it's appears unfair when we get a ticket, BUT, what I've seen, it's a fair system...

We were in a 30mph by the way, that very bend where we were has claimed many lives... aptly located me thinks :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2008, 17:20:54 »

Interesting.

Not a lot of frontal area on a Westfield. Maybe I should remove the windscreen as well. SWMBO will freak but I reckon that'd make it tricky to get a return. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2008, 17:22:33 »

Interesting.

Not a lot of frontal area on a Westfield. Maybe I should remove the windscreen as well. SWMBO will freak but I reckon that'd make it tricky to get a return. ;D

Kevin

Tilt the plate too!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2008, 17:24:04 »

Tilt the plate too!

The plate is a stick-on one across the nosecone.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2008, 17:27:36 »

You can use non-reflective paint based on U.S. stealth technology...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2008, 17:47:55 »

Folks,

No not me, myself and the A8 are in Glasgow and have been here all week :y
« Last Edit: 08 February 2008, 17:49:03 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2008, 17:57:21 »

hate them, they catch me all the time >:(
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2008, 18:12:35 »

Tilt the plate too!

The plate is a stick-on one across the nosecone.

Kevin
Tut tut!  :y  :y  :y Wonder how an original Lotus Elan would fair with its seperate letters & nnumbers attached to the open grille?  ::)

waspy

« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2008, 18:23:58 »

These are fair as long as they play by the rules also:- Not parked on double yellows, bus stops, too far away from the road they are fixed on, cross hatchings, the list is endless as to where iv'e seen them parked. The fact is, if you get a ticket & the van or whatever is parked illegal then you can contest it.
The equipment also has to be calibrated & have a cert to say so.
These things iv'e learned from particular sites on the web.

motmann

• birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2008, 19:07:27 »

how do they detect motorcycles? anyone know??

waspy

« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2008, 19:47:06 »

how do they detect motorcycles? anyone know??

I'm not sure, like Dave c says, they need a flat surface to get a reading from. some vehicles can be very hard to get a reading from, cars with very pointy noses & a low rake windscreen can be a pain.
I reaserched alot about my old Trans-Am & thats how i learned about the screens etc being hard to get a reading from. Apparently the model i had was almost impossible to read under normal circumstances.
I would say that with most up to date sports bikes that it would be very hard to get a reading as there isn't a big enough area, apart from the rider, but if he's over the tank winding it back then id'e say very hard.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2008, 19:57:34 »

What bugs me is the lack of coherence across the uk...  especially cumbria.....

everywhere I've seen them down here, and in Wales, they use White vans with Blue/orange or blue/yellow striping , and often, a rather great big camera picture ....

Cumbria, orange van, looks exactly like a motorway/highways maintenance vehicle.....  parked on a bridge over the M6.

there IS a camera icon, but it's fairly small, (when seen form 1/2 a mile away) and you're not immediately looking for it as the vehicle is orange not white....

so my first ticket in many many years.....  for doing 85 on an empty M6 on my way back to Oxford from Dumfries....  

(work related journey)

okay, so now i know... but break... if it had been white, I would have known sooner, and tamed my speed to a more acceptable level....  

so I can no longer wind up the rest of the family about being the only one with a clean licence.,..

bugger

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.