Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion  (Read 1138 times)

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
LPG Conversion
« on: 11 February 2008, 22:51:41 »

Ok the price of petrol has now got very expensive and being the tightass that i am i would like to convert to LPG.
The only  problems i can think off is mainly the price to convert and the space a tank would take up.
A company has quoted £2200 to convert. Has anyone had their Omega done and where did they place the tank?

Cheers

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Conversion
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2008, 23:04:54 »

I've got an 80 litre tank in the boot and there is still plenty of space left.  Well worth doing although lpg cars are not without their problems.  Expect to change spark plugs and leads sooner than you would on a petrol car.  You will save a fortune, especially if you do a lot of mileage.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2008, 23:13:46 »

Hi.
Have a search for LPG threads.  A number of members have done a DIY conversion and saved quite a few quid in the process....

Multipoint injection on the V6 is the better option, apparently, and saves loads of cash against petrol costs, with no loss of power....

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2008, 23:19:36 »

I have a single point system on mine but I've got a 2 litre.  Mine runs like a dream.  As hotel says its definitely better to go for multipoint (sequential) if you have six cylinders.  You will get better mpg and retain more of the engines power with a multipoint system.  Got to agree that £2200 is a bit pricey.  I'm so tight I'd do it myself though!  ;D

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2008, 23:30:23 »

Ok the price of petrol has now got very expensive and being the tightass that i am i would like to convert to LPG.
The only  problems i can think off is mainly the price to convert and the space a tank would take up.
A company has quoted £2200 to convert. Has anyone had their Omega done and where did they place the tank?

Cheers

£2200  :o :o :o are they using solid gold components!!!!!

the price does vary around the country, there is a garage not far from me in Plymouth charge £1200, i have seen it as low as £1k.

Some of us have done our own DIY after buying kits from Ebay, costs vary between £500 and £800 depending on spec, tank etc.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2008, 23:35:21 »

Agree, JayW and I did ours for between £500 and £700...

As Hotel21 says, there is no loss of performance, and economy is v worthwhile if you do over about 200 miles a week...

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2008, 08:28:25 »

I have a single point system on mine but I've got a 2 litre.  Mine runs like a dream.
What make is yours, i have the single point system too and a huge tank in the boot, like a missile....
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2008, 09:16:08 »

Well worth doing - I'd recommend DIY as well

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2008, 12:32:21 »

I have a single point system on mine but I've got a 2 litre.  Mine runs like a dream.
What make is yours, i have the single point system too and a huge tank in the boot, like a missile....

I have an AEB 175 Leornardo system.  It works well and is very liberal on fuel considering I have a heavy foot!  I save around £40 a fortnight using lpg and I don't do a great deal of milage.  It does look like I'm carrying an atom bomb in the boot but the meggy has plenty of room to accomodate.

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2008, 13:12:04 »

I've done two conversions now, one on a 2.0 and another on my 2.6.  By doing DIY you can then do some other odd jobs on the way, such as cam covers etc.  I learnt quite a bit about the V6 while doing mine so it was worth it just based on the learning curve, let alone the saving!

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 February 2008, 13:13:03 by Omega2000w »
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.