Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine reconditioning  (Read 1526 times)

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
  • Car is stuck in KIDDERMINSTER!!
    • View Profile
Engine reconditioning
« on: 27 October 2010, 17:10:03 »

http://www.reconditioned-engines.co.uk/remanufacture-engine-process.shtml

Any comments on the value of this service?

Is it something that anyone has used?? - would anyone consider using something like this to bring the engine back to "new"  ::)

I've got a broken engine at the moment and was interested to see this site.. It seems reasonably priced and looks enticing.. includes 60,000 miles / 5 year guarantee (but sadly more than I can afford at the moment !!)

I'm looking at cheaper alternatives  ;) ;)

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
Re: Engine reconditioning
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2010, 17:20:35 »

probably worth more than the car i would think
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2010, 17:22:59 »

Some do a good job, and some are total cowboys. Difficult to say unless someone has personal experience.

I would say a known, good second hand engine would be the most cost-effective solution if your engine is a basket case. No commercial refurbisher will beat a factory assembled engine, even if it's got a few miles on it. They don't wear badly and, if you can find one with sub-100k miles, for example, it will have plenty of life left in it.

Or, if the bottom end of your engine is still sound, refurb the heads and rebuild.

If the engine's got bearing problems at the bottom end but the crank and bores are still sound, it might still be worth a rebuild if you can do the work yourself, and depending on the cost of bearings, etc..

Any worse and I'd go the 2nd hand route.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2010, 17:57:22 »

I am obtaining a quote just out of interest! :D :D :D

They will come back to me within 24 hours ;)

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2010, 18:37:25 »

Some do a good job, and some are total cowboys. Difficult to say unless someone has personal experience.

I would say a known, good second hand engine would be the most cost-effective solution if your engine is a basket case. No commercial refurbisher will beat a factory assembled engine, even if it's got a few miles on it. They don't wear badly and, if you can find one with sub-100k miles, for example, it will have plenty of life left in it.

Or, if the bottom end of your engine is still sound, refurb the heads and rebuild.

If the engine's got bearing problems at the bottom end but the crank and bores are still sound, it might still be worth a rebuild if you can do the work yourself, and depending on the cost of bearings, etc..

Kevin

Kevin, this was the top cam belt tensioner failure so valve damage.

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2010, 21:56:20 »

Quoted me £1195 for X30XE   ::) ::)

(They knew about cam belt failure and valve damage but said didn't matter as they renew valves anyway.. and they repair any other internal damage.. The only no no is major damage to block or cracked heads etc)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2010, 22:00:43 »

(They knew about cam belt failure and valve damage but said didn't matter as they renew valves anyway.. and they repair any other internal damage.. The only no no is major damage to block or cracked heads etc)

You could buy yourself another nice car for that money, Id get A N Other engine put in. Maybe a slight gamble, but if you buy from one of the breakers here,  you'd be more likely to get a good one. IMO £1200 s far too much to spending on a replacement Omega engine.  ;)

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2010, 22:20:55 »

Kevin

Kevin, this was the top cam belt tensioner failure so valve damage.

So now we have the 3 repair options!!

I'm favouring putting a head on the existing engine - but swapping the engine may be cheaper and quicker..

Thanks for your thoughts Kevin.. I agree that a factory engine would outshine a reconditioned one - but 60k & 5 years??   That's not bad?? :-/ :-/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2010, 22:24:53 »

Interesting, but yes beyond the worth of my miggy! ::) ::)

Welung666

« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2010, 22:43:07 »

I think it was Josh that quoted prices for Vx genuine re-cons at around the same price. I know if I'd got £1,100 to burn it'd be a Luton special rather than a rebuild co. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2010, 23:07:59 »

If the bottom end is fine then remove heads, pop some new valves in the heads, lap them in and reassemble.

For that kind of money you could probably get a new engine from VX if they still make them.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2010, 17:16:29 »

I also took the test and costs came back as follows.

Remanufacture my existing engine...........£1330 + vat
breakdown of costs.............Fitting............£250 '''''''''''
                                           Engine...........£995''''''''''''
                                      Oil/Gaskets etc...£85 '''''''

Then received a second email with price for a fully reconditioned unit supplied by them,but unsure if this included fitting ??....................................... £1295 ''''''

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.