Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatics  (Read 14524 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Automatics
« Reply #45 on: 28 June 2020, 00:41:29 »

Reversing a trailer is very much a life skill, and there's some satisfaction from getting it right :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 June 2020, 00:44:10 »

Reversing a trailer is very much a life skill, and there's some satisfaction from getting it right :y

:y especially the baby garden trailer you linked to earlier  ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 28 June 2020, 01:04:32 »

:y especially the baby garden trailer you linked to earlier  ;D ;D
Indeedy... I can, but they're a pita, so I try not to...  ;D that said, I find it easier to get on and do than trying to explain to someone else... in an 'Offs, let me do it' kind of way ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 June 2020, 01:19:29 »

Articulated drawbar ;)

Ahh, not a nonsense trailer then, or any of the other things I used to call it when trying to learn how it (mis)behaved.
Your linky is more of a cobbled together assembly of a drawbar dolly (probably once a perfectly good truck in its own right, hence the slightly odd relative position of the various bits) and a single axle fifth wheel/articulated trailer  ;)

Yes, exactly like the stuff I used to play with in fact, only ours had slightly more rust  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 28 June 2020, 01:45:16 »

;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 28 June 2020, 07:41:29 »

When I bring our twin axle caravan home my neighbour is always amazed when I reverse it straight into our driveway .....

but a twin axle is easier .... they don't turn as fast as a single axle  & need to be made to turn  :y :y

(Mine's a twin axle too  ;))

Single or twin axle makes no odds to me had both all easy to reverse if you know what you're doing , some folk should definitely not be towing at all when you observe them trying to complete the simplest of manouvres, that's why some sort of training should be undertaken.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 28 June 2020, 08:55:10 »

Advised towing weights can be easily found in the owners handbook.

but who reads that?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm in my PJs.  The car is parked down the road, the manual is somewhere in the car, I thought someone might know what an omega could tow, on an omega forum, off by heart. 

I have a contract in Barrow in Furness starting at the end if the year.  Just looking at my accomodation options.
One of which is a tin house on a site with a seasonal rate.

Obviously start date is going into winter, so might be better to get a winter price on a holiday cottage, until Spring.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 28 June 2020, 09:20:53 »

I'm in my PJs.  The car is parked down the road, the manual is somewhere in the car, I thought someone might know what an omega could tow, on an omega forum, off by heart. 

I have a contract in Barrow in Furness starting at the end if the year.  Just looking at my accomodation options.

Obviously start date is going into winter, so might be better to get a winter price on a holiday cottage, until Spring.

Never rely on other people , look for yourself then it's there in black & white ( hope I can say that )  also important if you do decide to get a caravan ensure that it has been serviced regularly and that you run the tyres at the correct pressures & ideally the tyres should be no more than 5 years old
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 June 2020, 09:25:17 »

I enjoyed the reversing part of caravanning the most, much more fun than going forwards as you get a chance to show off.  ;D
A few years back I was pulling up the long drive of a touring park with our van on the back when I was met by a Mitsubishi Shogun coming towards me with a large twin axle on the back. There wasn't enough room to pass so the guy started getting out of his Shogun and said he would guide me back. My wife got out just to check no kids had stepped out behind us, told the guy that we'd be fine, and I reversed a fair way back down the drive and swung the van in to a small side road. As the guy came past and thanked me I asked what had made him assume that I was the one reversing, and he replied that he was hopeless at it so it had to be me going back.  ;D
I was quite shocked at the amount of people that can't seem to master it.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 28 June 2020, 09:59:56 »

If it goes against your "manliness" to actually "RTFI"... then you could always try the VIN plate .. drivers door pillar or engine bay.. both give all the information you need to be legal ....

:)

Don't you mean R T F  M?  ::)

I already knew where to find the info .... the VIN isn't the plate with the weights on  ;)

M= Manual
I= Instructions

Both mean the same IMHO ...  :)

VIN plate lists 4 weights.

Gross vehicle weight = max weight of the vehicle, sometimes called the MAM .. maximum allowable mass
Gross train weight = max combined weight of both vehicle and trailer
max front axle weight
max rear axle weight

If you subtract line 1 from line 2 it gives you the maximum weight of any trailer you wish to tow ....

seeemples ...  :)

If you don't believe me and want further "evidence" .....  https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/maximum-towing-weight/

line 3 ...

"The actual, exact and only towing capacity figure that should be used for your vehicle is that which is stamped on the Vehicle Identification Number Plate, VIN Plate."

Nige .... you're quoting the numbers I've already quoted above.

Now I'm going to put this here to get you thinking, a common thread on other forums, is about driving with a trailer, also remember some of these posters are meant to know the law,. I know who I would believe...Me thinks DG will enjoy it.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165548
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 June 2020, 10:00:34 »

Down load the free manual from the FAQ section. It'll give you something to read ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 June 2020, 10:13:24 »

Nah it's a job to get paid for, :).  But get it wrong at work and the looks horror and head shaking..  :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28 June 2020, 10:33:33 »

If it goes against your "manliness" to actually "RTFI"... then you could always try the VIN plate .. drivers door pillar or engine bay.. both give all the information you need to be legal ....

:)

Don't you mean R T F  M?  ::)

I already knew where to find the info .... the VIN isn't the plate with the weights on  ;)

M= Manual
I= Instructions

Both mean the same IMHO ...  :)

VIN plate lists 4 weights.

Gross vehicle weight = max weight of the vehicle, sometimes called the MAM .. maximum allowable mass
Gross train weight = max combined weight of both vehicle and trailer
max front axle weight
max rear axle weight

If you subtract line 1 from line 2 it gives you the maximum weight of any trailer you wish to tow ....

seeemples ...  :)

If you don't believe me and want further "evidence" .....  https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/maximum-towing-weight/

line 3 ...

"The actual, exact and only towing capacity figure that should be used for your vehicle is that which is stamped on the Vehicle Identification Number Plate, VIN Plate."

Nige .... you're quoting the numbers I've already quoted above.

Now I'm going to put this here to get you thinking, a common thread on other forums, is about driving with a trailer, also remember some of these posters are meant to know the law,. I know who I would believe...Me thinks DG will enjoy it.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165548
Blimey  ;D

There's so much wrong with the first paragraph, let alone the rest...

Better off doing it properly from the get go, especially if going over the channel.

Regardless of whether a tacho is required or not, the in scope commercial journeys need to show compliance with driving hours and the WTD. A tacho is the easiest way to do that.

And it looks like Connor should definitely stick to driving ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 28 June 2020, 10:35:16 »

Nah it's a job to get paid for, :) .  But get it wrong at work and the looks horror and head shaking..  :o
The shame, don't forget the shame :D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28 June 2020, 10:42:27 »

Some "drivers" can't even parallel park let alone cope with a trailer I've actually asked a couple of elderly ladies in the past if they'd like me to park their car for them as they were making a total balls up of it, and they were really grateful & admitted they only liked driving forwards ..😀
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.