Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy  (Read 13373 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy
« Reply #60 on: 10 March 2013, 12:20:40 »

and plus, if I were you I would contact continental as a buyer and tell my problem and challenge them..

if tyres were faulty they must pay back, if not they have to find a fault either in car or tyre..

but continental is a serious firm and chances are less to build a crap tyre after a succfessful one.. may be there is a problem in tyre wall,tyre size or speed rating selection.. and yes it tramlines but its a winner..
« Last Edit: 10 March 2013, 12:22:25 by cem »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 10 March 2013, 12:24:17 »

Urm. Playground fighting again.

My tyres are better than yours, na na na.

Hoof'land storeman.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 10 March 2013, 14:35:28 »

Sidewall info:

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
235/45R17 97 Y
Extra Load - max load 730 Kg
Plies : Sidewall 1 x Polyester, Tread 1 x Polyester, 2 x Steel, 1 x Polyamide

Same as Entwoods.

Didnt get the treadwear info, (forgot, will post laster if req.) 

This is what I use for my tyres: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/42493/michelin-twin-barrel-footpump  Bought two years ago, well looked after and never dropped. So gauge (I hope) is still accurate but can't confirm.

I would be happy to bring it down for testing for first I must fix the oil leak on the sump.

feeutfo

« Reply #63 on: 10 March 2013, 15:13:26 »

Personally, I never trust anything other than a dedicated tyres pressure gauge.

Something like this
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_394107_langId_-1_categoryId_165547

feeutfo

« Reply #64 on: 10 March 2013, 15:14:39 »

Maybe double check your tyre pressure against a garage forecourt pump. See if its the same.
I don't trust forecourt pumps either, but its a cheap point of reference.

feeutfo

« Reply #65 on: 10 March 2013, 15:22:01 »

This is the one I have, btw. Just as an example. As it says there is no BAR scale, which can be a pain on other marques that insist on using BAR. But not an issue on Vauxhalls though.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/41961/halfords-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge

feeutfo

« Reply #66 on: 10 March 2013, 15:42:33 »

I think a rant at cem is entirely reasonable frankly!
No its not  :-[

Its not really in the spirit of the forum.

I understand your frustration in a member giving out what is, based on our own personal experiences, "bad advice", and that some members should follow this advice and spend an awful lot of money for something that doesn't work well.

But the solution to that is to point out the flaw in what they are saying, and encourage them to understand why. Not to come across as an aggressive keyboard warrior, and end up in stand-off arguments that will never end.  I would hassen to add that I'm not perfect in this respect  :-[. Far from.

Please ;)
J, if your asking me to accept an equivalent example of somebody telling me night is day, black is white, and straight is a curve, then sorry, that just ain't going to happen.
 There's only so many times " black is black and not white  " can be explained. If individuals choose to deliberately disrupt a factual fault finding process we are all faced with, for a common good of all concerned, and that's continually accepted as reasonable, EVERY SINGLE TIME the issue is raised, then we are buggered. Well and truly.

05omegav6

« Reply #67 on: 10 March 2013, 15:51:54 »

Would it be feasible to have Entwoods cars measured, then set SMDs to the exact same settings to see if the problem continues :-\

If it doesn't solve anything, then the issue is a characteristic of an individual car which may prove impossible to solve. If the issue does go away, then perhaps Entwoods settings could be used as THE definitive settings for that suspension set up/tyre combination :-\

Not sure if allowance needs to be, or indeed can be, made for the extra weight of the lpg tank? The extra weight effectively shifts the centre of gravity rearward, which could have an impact on the thrust angle (2woody or Marksdtm may be able to answer that point), and would also make the front end lighter, which may be enough to keep Entwoods car from tramlining...

05omegav6

« Reply #68 on: 10 March 2013, 16:12:15 »

and plus, if I were you I would contact continental as a buyer and tell my problem and challenge them..

if tyres were faulty they must pay back, if not they have to find a fault either in car or tyre..

but continental is a serious firm and chances are less to build a crap tyre after a succfessful one.. may be there is a problem in tyre wall,tyre size or speed rating selection.. and yes it tramlines but its a winner..

Cem,
Having found the Continental to be unsuitable for the Omega, based on its use on two completely different cars, with completely different set ups, the discussion has moved on to trying to explain why two apparently identical cars behave differently with the same Goodyear tyre fitted ::)

No tyre test in the world is going to explain that, ever. What is needed here is an application of thought as to what could possibly affect vehicle/steering behaviour beyond the tyres themselves.

Personally I refuse to buy into the 'wider tyre causes tramlining' arguement, because from my own actual experience, my car doesn't tramline any more or less on 225, 235 and 245 width tyres of the same brand, model and structure. This also suggests the the problem with SMDs car lies elsewhere...

Do both cars have the same wheels fitted, with the same offset ie 7J x 17" ET33 :-\

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 10 March 2013, 16:17:43 »

Cem,
Having found the Continental to be unsuitable for the Omega, based on its use on two completely different cars, with completely different set ups, the discussion has moved on to trying to explain why two apparently identical cars behave differently with the same Goodyear tyre fitted ::)

No tyre test in the world is going to explain that, ever. What is needed here is an application of thought as to what could possibly affect vehicle/steering behaviour beyond the tyres themselves.

Personally I refuse to buy into the 'wider tyre causes tramlining' arguement, because from my own actual experience, my car doesn't tramline any more or less on 225, 235 and 245 width tyres of the same brand, model and structure. This also suggests the the problem with SMDs car lies elsewhere...

Do both cars have the same wheels fitted, with the same offset ie 7J x 17" ET33 :-\

I have driven on may contis (including the eco models)  on many cars with various sizes..  never ever seen an owner finding them insufficient or unsuitable for a specific car..  so you have to shoot me to convince..  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #70 on: 10 March 2013, 16:21:58 »

I think a rant at cem is entirely reasonable frankly!
No its not  :-[

Its not really in the spirit of the forum.

I understand your frustration in a member giving out what is, based on our own personal experiences, "bad advice", and that some members should follow this advice and spend an awful lot of money for something that doesn't work well.

But the solution to that is to point out the flaw in what they are saying, and encourage them to understand why. Not to come across as an aggressive keyboard warrior, and end up in stand-off arguments that will never end.  I would hassen to add that I'm not perfect in this respect  :-[. Far from.

Please ;)
J, if your asking me to accept an equivalent example of somebody telling me night is day, black is white, and straight is a curve, then sorry, that just ain't going to happen.
 There's only so many times " black is black and not white  " can be explained. If individuals choose to deliberately disrupt a factual fault finding process we are all faced with, for a common good of all concerned, and that's continually accepted as reasonable, EVERY SINGLE TIME the issue is raised, then we are buggered. Well and truly.

I wonder if something is being lost in translation :-\ I mean, Americans, Austrailians and Canadians all speak english, so we can all communicate, but different words imply different things.

Eg 'I wear red pants' makes perfect sense (and might explain alot ;D), but means different things depending on where you say it, and to whom :y

05omegav6

« Reply #71 on: 10 March 2013, 16:27:00 »

Once again Cem, you have completely missed the point.

We don't care how good or bad Continenal tyres in general are. The Skoda Superbs at work have them fitted, and they're not great tbh. People here have wasted good hard earned money buying SC5s that have fallen short of expectations.

The issue is now trying to explain why two completely different cars behave completely differently using the EXACT SAME TYRE ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #72 on: 10 March 2013, 16:33:39 »

question : what was the original tyre size choosen by factory when the car was initally made ?  205/65 -15

question : in later years does the front drive train setup change with newer models ? NO

question : will the omega tramline on Contis with that size ? hardly..

if you go for larger sizes, even if same size with later models , you are on your own..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 10 March 2013, 16:35:06 »

Once again Cem, you have completely missed the point.

We don't care how good or bad Continenal tyres in general are. The Skoda Superbs at work have them fitted, and they're not great tbh. People here have wasted good hard earned money buying SC5s that have fallen short of expectations.

The issue is now trying to explain why two completely different cars behave completely differently using the EXACT SAME TYRE ::)

Just give up... He's either deliberately pushing buttons or never going to put his hands up and admit that he and google have been wrong. We all know they're shit ;)

As to what this has moved on to... There has to be a difference in set up that explains this, cannot be anything else apart from inconsistencies in the manufacture process. I wonder how different they are in (actual, not fitted) age? :-\ :-\

Only other thing I can think of is the interesting thread on tyre markings that came up recently :-\ :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10 March 2013, 16:36:22 »

question : what was the original tyre size choosen by factory when the car was initally made ?  205/65 -15

question : in later years does the front drive train setup change with newer models ? NO

question : will the omega tramline on Contis with that size ? hardly..

if you go for larger sizes, even if same size with later models , you are on your own..

But the sizes fitted are factory sizes, if you opt for Irmscher Sport Stars from new ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.