Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If a job's worth doing...  (Read 5698 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: If a job's worth doing...
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2008, 23:57:03 »

Shouldnt have the option of not driving again, license should just be taken off him, same sort of thing happened to my mates Ultima GTR 86year old woman drove over the front of it when it was parked on the opposite side of the road!!!!! £27000 damage

One assumes that you have never, ever made a single mistake in your long and emminent life ???

And that you will never, ever make one before you are 76 ??

No but one thinks when you reach the age of 60 you should have an eye test and a reactions test done to make sure you are still able to drive and continue to have them every few years from then on. I am sure you would have different opinion if that was a child he ran over because he couldnt see.

You, and I, and everyone else, know absolutley NOTHING about the cause of this accident, which incidentaly was on private property anyway. The fact the guy was old, and doesn't know what happened is instantly a reason for the cause to be his "age" or "inability".

Did the throttle stick?? Did steering break?? There are thousands of possibilities.

He has proved to be a better driver than most over many years.. I can think of many many chav prats that do far worse.. but where is the call for them to never hold a license again ???

I agree totally that there are a lot of young idiots on the road that shouldnt be there. I still say there should be more in the way of tests for eye sight after a certain age

is that relevant to this thread, as originally posted?  Any mention of a fault with eyes??
« Last Edit: 14 April 2008, 23:57:36 by hotel21 »

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2008, 23:57:09 »

A word to the wise, of all years and length of forum membership.

Stick to FACTS and not guesses, assumptions or generalisations please....

Someone else will no doubt come up with a counter point and make you look like a tw*t....

Not at all you and everyone on this forum know that if you all had to put your mortgage on the cause of accident, you know what you would say.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2008, 23:58:55 »

Someone else will no doubt come up with a counter point and make you look like a tw*t....

Bit like being in court.  :) :) :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2008, 23:58:57 »

Not at all you and everyone on this forum know that if you all had to put your mortgage on the cause of accident, you know what you would say.

.... and there you fall.....

I am a qualified crash investigator, university trained, and deemed as an Expert Witness in each and every Court in the land....

Wanna see my CV??

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2008, 00:02:00 »

I am a qualified crash investigator, university trained, and deemed as an Expert Witness in each and every Court in the land....

Wanna see my CV??

Dont need to see anything you tell me then from reading the story and going on what we have all seen what would you say the reason of accident was?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2008, 00:04:06 »

Wanna see my CV??

Dont need to see anything you tell me then from reading the story and going on what we have all seen what would you say the reason of accident was?

I would not dare to hazard a guess at the distilled reporting of the media....

The crash investigators report from scene examination is, however, something I would welcome.

Point being made is, do not jump onto a bandwaggon just because it suits you.  look at FACTS and use experience to determine a TRUE cause, not what sells newspapers.   :y

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2008, 00:05:24 »

Wanna see my CV??

The crash investigators report from scene examination is, however, something I would welcome.

Point being made is, do not jump onto a bandwaggon just because it suits you.  look at FACTS and use experience to determine a TRUE cause, not what sells newspapers.   :y

Ok then will have a gentlemans bet with you, you get the report and i bet i am right

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2008, 00:05:38 »

What makes you say that? a sticky throttle is just a likely, without the facts how can we say, I was not there so can not offer any opinion as to how this might have happened, :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2008, 00:07:18 »

Wanna see my CV??

Ok then will have a gentlemans bet with you, you get the report and i bet i am right

How about YOU get the report and YOU prove or justify your guesses/assumptions??   :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2008, 00:08:11 »

Wanna see my CV??

Do you actually and seriously believe the guy drove into 2 parked cars simply because .. in your opinion .. he didn't see them ??

The story actually says he has been driving that route for some time ... he'd KNOW that cars get parked there.

As already said .. you are guessing, wthout any facts to go on, and making your guess fit your idea that an old driver is an unsafe one.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2008, 00:09:21 by entwood »

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2008, 00:08:34 »

Wanna see my CV??

How about YOU get the report and YOU prove or justify your guesses/assumptions??   :D

I dont need to remember your trying to prove me wrong. Anyway of to bed see you all soon ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2008, 00:08:59 »

What makes you say that? a sticky throttle is just a likely, without the facts how can we say, I was not there so can not offer any opinion as to how this might have happened, :)

In 27 years of owning a car my throttle has never stuck. The closest it's come is when the return spring broke.  ;)  :y

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2008, 00:12:07 »

In 27 years of owning a car my throttle has never stuck. The closest it's come is when the return spring broke.  ;)  :y

Yep, happened to me in a Mini, the return spring broke, therefore full throttle on High Row in Darlington. As I was young at the time my reactions avoided a problem. (toung in cheek)  ;D ;D ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2008, 00:14:50 »

I've had it happen twice in 40+ years. ....  first one was an MGB that the earth strap between engine/chassis had failed, the whole engine was earthing down the throttle cable which got extremely hot (glowing), and very dry, and the spring could not overcome the internal friction. Second one was a Lotus Cortina that I had "played with" far too much, a piece of sealant from a "bodge" on the air intake system broke loose and jammed in the throttle butterfly.

Not saying it happened in this case .. but it CAN happen ...

:)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2008, 00:14:52 »

Yep, happened to me in a Mini, the return spring broke, therefore full throttle on High Row in Darlington. As I was young at the time my reactions avoided a problem. (toung in cheek)  ;D ;D ;D

Long way from a Ford puddlejumper but had one crash scene years ago where a tipper lorry had its throttle jam wide open whils on a bypass....  Driver simply panicked when approaching a junction and ran out of brakes, not knowing what to do next.  Didn't want to blow the engine 'cos the boss had just rebuilt it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.