Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan tow car  (Read 2858 times)

stevejones

• Wigan
  • God loves a trier!
    • View Profile
Caravan tow car
« on: 18 June 2008, 22:57:00 »

Now I know we all love our Omega's, but can we be HONEST.......I am about to be made redundant and I'm thinking of upgrading my car for the last time I can afford it. I love my V reg 2.5 petrol and am thinking of an 03 or 03 reg facelift model.

Is this a good choice as a RELIABLE towing car.....?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan tow car
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2008, 23:02:14 »

The Omega is an excellent tow car, if towing a car trailer with a 60' VX Cresta.  ;D If you want to tow a 'Caravan' then you may be asking on the wrong forum. ;D ;D ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2008, 23:09:44 »

The last time I towed a van was with my 98 3.0 Elite saloon, we went away with my brother in law and he was towing his van with a 2.8TD Pajero. We were going up a dual carriage way that had a steep incline so I decided to show him what a good towing car the Omega was anyway I slowed at the top to let him catch up. The only other vehicle I have towed with was a 4.2 Range Rover and I will say you notice the caravan on the back more with the Omega but its not bad at all.
Retired

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2008, 23:12:23 »

YES YES YES !!

I towed for 5 years with a 2.5 miggy, it was so good I changed to a newer one, ok it is 3.2 with a small body-kit, but still a miggy. We actually went looking for an 03 but this one sort of said "buy me" .... :)

I have been towing for 20 years on a regular basis and have had 4 tow cars, Mk 2 Granada, Ford Scorpio, Miggy 2.5 and now the 3.2. I always swore the scorpio was the best towcar in the world until I got the miggy, and the only difference in the 2.5 and 3.2 is the greater power which at towing speeds makes little difference, you just get there slightly quicker.

Both miggy's have been Elite's, deliberately, as I wanted the self leveling suspension and the self leveling HID lights - and the other toys are nice anyway  :)

As to reliability, in 5 years the 2.5 let me down once. We stopped in a hillside layby on the Loire Valley to take some piccies, when we restarted it seems the aircon fans and the rad fans all kicked in at the same time ... this blew the large fuses for the fans ... so the motor got pretty hot pretty fast, pulled over and after (eventually) fitting new fuses we were good to go. That car towed to France every year, including down to Bordeaux in August .. which was damned hot !!

I've only had this one since January but it handles exactly the same, and I'm pulling a 1600 kg caravan most weekends.

The ONLY downside to a miggy as a towcar is the fuel consumption, I've solved that by converting to LPG ..  :)

I wouldn't hesitate to commend a miggy as a tow car, powerful, rear wheel drive, easy to drive   :y :y :y

HTH
« Last Edit: 18 June 2008, 23:13:58 by entwood »

stevejones

• Wigan
  • God loves a trier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2008, 23:16:17 »

I know the Omega tows a caravan nicely but I spose my question surrounds reliability. Is the facelift more reliable than my V reg, which has a lot of loveable 'quirks' (ie daily warning lights, accelerating rust under the window edges, wobbly tickover)

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2008, 23:19:43 »

Seem to be reliable - had my facelift for 30 months with 1 crank sensor and one battery down

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2008, 23:26:47 »

Now I know we all love our Omega's, but can we be HONEST.......I am about to be made redundant and I'm thinking of upgrading my car for the last time I can afford it. I love my V reg 2.5 petrol and am thinking of an 03 or 03 reg facelift model.

stuck for choice there ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2008, 23:31:52 »

Bear in mind the road tax you'll be paying on a post-X reg omega! Might be better to keep your current one going.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2008, 01:04:51 »

stuck for choice there ;D

LMAO!  ;D  :y
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2008, 09:18:39 »

Hi guys and gals. Been away for a while.
The Miggy makes a great tow car but reliability really depends on your maintenance activity, whether you tow or not.
My 2.0l was good but was aware of long motorway gradients, but the 2.6l just flies up them with no struggling at all. Economy obviously suffers, but I can get almost as much paraphernalia in the load space as I can inside the van.
And I don't bother with a stabiliser as it's all so stable with the correct size of 'van.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2008, 09:26:19 »

And I don't bother with a stabiliser as it's all so stable with the correct size of 'van.

........ and the missing word is - correctly LOADED 'van.  ;) 'Correct' size of 'van is irelevant if it's not loaded up something like correctly, you don't want the tail to wag the dog. :) :y

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2008, 09:38:44 »

........ and the missing word is - correctly LOADED 'van.  ;) 'Correct' size of 'van is irelevant if it's not loaded up something like correctly, you don't want the tail to wag the dog. :) :y
Agreed. I should have said 'correct set up of the outfit'. It would still need some tail to wag the Miggy dog though.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2008, 09:43:30 »

...... It would still need some tail to wag the Miggy dog though.

Agreed! I to have a caravan that I tow with my Omega. :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2008, 23:43:25 »

Hi guys and gals. Been away for a while.
The Miggy makes a great tow car but reliability really depends on your maintenance activity, whether you tow or not.
My 2.0l was good but was aware of long motorway gradients, but the 2.6l just flies up them with no struggling at all. Economy obviously suffers, but I can get almost as much paraphernalia in the load space as I can inside the van.

Bill is that not dangerous?... not towing a caravan without a stabiliser on :o
I used to tow a caravan but always with a bulldog stabiliser, towed with cavaliers and range rovers.... when the wind gets blowing hard you can see caravans swaying with them on never mind without :-?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 June 2008, 00:00:55 »

Bill is that not dangerous?... not towing a caravan without a stabiliser on :o .......

Not at all. A stabiliser of whatever type will only improve on an already stable outfit, it won't correct an unstable incorrectly loaded outfit. I've only recently returned to caravaning but I towed miles, in this country & in France, with no stabilser fitted to my previous 'van. My current 'van does have one fitted (Alko hitch lock), but only cos it was fitted when I bought it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.