Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wing Mirror Defrosting  (Read 1055 times)

alan2450

• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
Wing Mirror Defrosting
« on: 20 October 2007, 14:32:07 »

Hi all,

With the recent frosty weather (well it is here) I have noticed that the drivers side mirror does not defrost  :( The rear window and passenger side are fine. The electric adjustments work fine etc, i thought that maybe the glass had been replaced in the past with a non-defrosting type (if there is such a thing) but the mirror has the little logo on the top left.  Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong, how do I get the glass out (without breaking it) to check the connections?  Thanks in advance.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Wing Mirror Defrosting
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2007, 21:33:21 »

Likely the element has failed...
Grumpy old man

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Wing Mirror Defrosting
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2007, 15:37:35 »

Took an electric Mk4 astra mirror off recently and the glass was held, iirc by 2 (or three?) ball joint type arrangements on the rear of the glass - one to control side-side one to control up-down (not sure if it had a centre ball joint?).

Anyway, if you haven't sussed it yet it *should* just pop off. It may be easier to take off the rear painted cover first to view access, but these are notoriously fragile so go steady or it'll never fit right again! The supply should be a connector that pulls off the rear of the glass.

If the glass is shot anyway (it's a once piece arrangement), I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it, just put some gloves on and perhaps some glasses to be safe. The electric servo motors will probably get out of sync when fiddling but will straighten up again easy enough.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.