Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjustable points on top of headlights.  (Read 831 times)

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
Adjustable points on top of headlights.
« on: 28 July 2009, 16:00:29 »

On top of the headlights (facelift xenons), there appear to be two adjustable points suitable for an allen key. Anyone know what these are for and what exactly is being adjusted?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable points on top of headlights.
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2009, 16:03:03 »

On top of the headlights (facelift xenons), there appear to be two adjustable points suitable for an allen key. Anyone know what these are for and what exactly is being adjusted?

The direction of the beam left & right and up & down, the self adjuster motors needs a datum to level to.  :y

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2009, 16:09:41 »

Thanks. Now I'm confused. I thought beam direction was adjusted by a lever at the back of the light unit?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2009, 16:18:19 »

Thanks. Now I'm confused. I thought beam direction was adjusted by a lever at the back of the light unit?

The lever at the back of your head light (UK RHD cars) just flattens the dipped beam ie instead of \____  \____ you just get ____  ____
The adjusters you're taking about are the same as A N Other head light, as said before one will move the beam left/right and the other up/down. The self levelling HID motors will adjust the beam around what is set manually on the up/down adjuster to prevent blinding other road users.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2009, 16:32:59 »

I think I got you. So the lever at the back stops the light from being scattered everywhere.

So if you manually changed the position of the adjusters at the top, would the automatic HID levelling facility bring the light back to the correct position, or only to where you've set it?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2009, 17:50:39 »

I think I got you. So the lever at the back stops the light from being scattered everywhere.

So if you manually changed the position of the adjusters at the top, would the automatic HID levelling facility bring the light back to the correct position, or only to where you've set it?

When your car is stopped, stationary and not moving  ;) your lights need to be set to a position that wouldn't blind people and also so you can see where you're going. As the car drives on the road it's then going to bounce up & down due to pot holes, general undulations etc .... the HID self levelers level the light beam about the point at which your lights point to when it's stopped!

The lever at the back is just so that you have a beam pattern that allows you to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road without blinding Johnny Foreigner ie you then just get a flat dipped beam without the kick-up to the left that you would have when driving on the correct side of the road. The old way of doing this with the old type of headlights is the black sticky tape stuck on the glass or 'beam benders'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.