Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new xenons - low dipped beam  (Read 1513 times)

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
new xenons - low dipped beam
« on: 14 August 2009, 18:03:20 »

I got around to fitting new headlamps on my mig today. When fitted I noticed that the beam was very low maybe ending about 5 to 6 feet in front of me.

I drove around the compund and thought it might come up a bit but to no avail. I thought maybe I have settled the plastic arm with the small ball on the end properly? how exactly does that work, does it move in and out to level the beam?

I sitting here fiddling around with the light and wondered maybe the back of the xenon bulb should be slightly off centre when you fix the motor assembly in?

There are no codes or anything saying it isn't working so thought maybe it's a tip needed more than anything else.

Any responses very gratefully received.

Can I just say if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have dared to dissassemble the lights, especially sat in a foreign country. So inspiration to all those who know nothing about cars, like myself.

Lee A

• Frome, Somerset
    • View Profile
Re: new xenons - low dipped beam
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2009, 18:11:52 »

If there are no warning codes the system is happy. I have a feeling you havent clipped the servo "ball" onto the light adjuster, what will happen is the lights will just drop down to the lowest possible setting.

Easiest way to check is to take the lamp out, take the cover off the HID bulb and remove the bulb (being careful as its high voltage), then putting the servo back in and checking theres no movement from the HID bulb area once its attached.

You can then set the lights up using the adjusters on the front on the lights, inner one does up and down if i remember.

hope that helps!

Lee A

• Frome, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2009, 18:16:01 »

Oh, and you are right, the servo motors adjust the headlamps up and down depending on load, you have to set the correct "no load" height once you have everything back together else the system assumes will adjust around that point.

the way i know to get it roughly right is to park as close to a wall as possible, turn lights on, mark where the top of the beam is, then pull back a couple of meters then aim the lights about 10cm below the marks you made.

Not perfect but its a start, get them properly aimed if not sure.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2009, 18:31:02 »

Thank you for that. You mention the two light adjusters (inner one to adjust the height) do you use an allen key for this adjustment or twist the white plastic adjusters?

Thanks.

Lee A

• Frome, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2009, 20:33:29 »

Use an allen key to make the white adjusters turn. Its quite common for the adjusters inside the light to be broken, hopefully yours arent. I think its because the heat makes the plastic brittle and very fragile :(

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2009, 21:49:12 »

Refitted the servo motor unit and much better now. But I think the outside adjuster is the one for the dipped beam.

Lee A

• Frome, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2009, 22:05:00 »

ah yes, maybe  :-[ its one or the other!

Welung666

« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2009, 22:17:40 »

New headlights don't come pre-set, they need setting up in the first place.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2009, 19:00:00 »

New headlights don't come pre-set, they need setting up in the first place.

Do you need to have xenon headlamps horizontally adjusted as well as vertically. If so how do you adjust horizontally?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.