Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I.T. Help Please  (Read 546 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
I.T. Help Please
« on: 18 September 2021, 18:50:09 »

Just set a brand new laptop up for the 1st time.  Set the wireless up etc (works fine from next door - same ISP as myself with same package)

Cant get my head round MS Edge to download Firefox as it wants us to use thier app centre, and all that has is the Mozilla guides to download.

Tried to do the same on bing direct from the Mozilla site - back to the app centre, next thing my neighber is telling me what my browser history is that she can see.  She is working on wireless & mine is wired, Just cant work out why the browser history is visible.

No naughty sites for me till its fixed. :-X :-\ :-\ :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: I.T. Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2021, 09:40:08 »

Firefox will directly download from https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/ as long as you are not using Windows 10S.  Windows 10S versions only support UWP/Metro/Modern (or whatever MS call them this week) apps, not the old Win32 style, old skool apps.

There is a upgrade from Windows 10S to Windows 10 Pro in the Microsoft Store. It was free at one point, but might be chargeable now.

As to 2 PCs sharing browsing history, are you being stupid enough to share a Microsoft Account?  If so, get your own account. They are free, after all.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2021, 14:33:40 »

As to 2 PCs sharing browsing history, are you being stupid enough to share a Microsoft Account?  If so, get your own account. They are free, after all........ Nope, not at all.

We both have seperate accounts.  The laptop would not allow her to sighn in without an email address (never known that before)

As you said I have never had issues installing firefox ever.

So guessing it has Windows 10S on it not sure about the pro upgrade but the sales gumph said it had a free Windows 11 offer with it.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-128-gb-ssd-silver-10226971-pdt.html
« Last Edit: 19 September 2021, 14:51:22 by Mr Skrunts »

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2021, 02:40:42 »

Can a hard drive be formatted and made bootable without Windows installed like the old DOS days.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2021, 09:43:21 »

Can a hard drive be formatted and made bootable without Windows installed like the old DOS days.

Yes, although with M$ secureboot and UEFI it is becoming trickier. First thing I do with any new PC is buy another hard disk/SSD and re-install windows from scratch. Gets rid of all the junk that shops install. And then a good session with Get-AppxPackage under PowerShell to get rid of all the M$ rubbish (Cortana and Edge).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.