Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current drain from battery.  (Read 1362 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Current drain from battery.
« on: 12 November 2012, 09:15:01 »

My battery went flat after a few days of non-use, so assuming the 6 year old battery had seen its last, I bought a new one, but it still happened. With everything off, there is approx. 1 Amp discharge from the battery. I took the fusible links out one at a time from the box over the battery, and removing the middle one from the group of three stopped the drain. I cannot identify which items are served by this fuse; can anyone help?
It has been suggested that there might be a leaky diode in the alternator, but when I put my meter, on AC volts, across the battery there is only a tiny reading, so no significant AC on the output from the alternator.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Current drain from battery.
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2012, 10:19:03 »

Alternator is directly connected to the battery so removing the fusible link wouldn't have changed things in that case.

Bear in mind that most models have a consumer delay relay that leaves some circuits active for 10 minutes or so after the last door is closed, so might be worth giving it a few minutes to see where the current settles. This relay has been known to fail, which would cause a similar issue to the one you have.

Once you're sure it's settled, you can narrow down the problem by removing fuses in the main fusebox in the driver's footwell to find which one is the culprit.

If you have a power sounder fitted still, it'd be worth trying its' removal as they can fail in such a way that they drain the battery (and can also start a fire).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omegapioneer

• Omagh Northern Ireland
    • 97 2.5td Elite auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2012, 18:25:17 »

hi i am suffering similar problems with my 3.2 elite battery drain, changed alternator in first instance and then got new battery as thought one i had for about 5 months was potentially faulty, i am seeing a 1 amp current draw on middle 80a fuse on top of battery but i am interested to find out more about this consumer relay that can go faulty as i still see current draw with power sounder disconnected, where it is located and how to identify it make or colour code, or any other things i can try to remedy this problem, it doesnt happen every time as if battery gets a good charge it is ok for a week or two as long as driven daily, thanks for any help you can give, Eric
Vx trade club card holder

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2012, 23:39:39 »

I would try pulling out the cabin fusebox fuses one at a time until the drain disappears.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omegapioneer

• Omagh Northern Ireland
    • 97 2.5td Elite auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2012, 15:01:37 »

Hi just to update i went thru the list  of checks and found that although the alternator was output 14.45 v when started after a few minutes started to drop back gradually, when putting under load droped and didnt recover properly and even with load removed kept dropping until got to about 12.7 v. i had original alternator tested and have replaced it back into omega with a new 35mm cable to alternator from battery, before connecting it to battery i ran engine and found a volt difference on old cable to new and now with a load of full blower heated window lights heated seats and it was able to hold 14.1v at idle and 14.28 at fast idle so need a few miles to check out come properly but looks muc better than previous.
On a seperate note i had just did a quick disconnect of the alarm siren by unplugging it thru the wiper panel drain hole, so removed it today as it didnt even squeak when i did disconnect it,  when i cut it open it has evidence of it attempting to go on fire more proof that they should all be removed and thrown away. cheers guys Eric
Vx trade club card holder

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2012, 17:43:31 »

my battery died the other day - re charged it not tried it since  but this topic looks interesting as the battery fitted doesnt look that old!
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.