Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wheel settings question ?  (Read 3429 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel settings question ?
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2014, 18:44:34 »

Steering idler play? Or failed wishbone bushes? Or loose wishbone bolts?

I'll have a look Chris, cheers for that  :y
I'm of the opinion that the knackered discs finished that hub bearing off in quick time BUT if I find anything else loose of worn out, I will be having words with the lad who did my MOT back in September.
Don't mind the MOT man being generous because we go back years BUT if something's wrong, I want to know  >:(

chrisgixer

« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2014, 19:40:45 »

At the wim open day, several years ago now, 13 cars attended.

Only 11 of those cars where fit for set up due to various failed components. Every single one of those cars had a valid mot obviously.

We simply can not rely on mot testers to fault find correctly. They are more interested in filling quotas according to guidelines than what's actually wrong with the car.

Your bushes are of least importance, as a failed bush is 1) difficult to spot as they usually test wheels loaded 2) not going to result in bits falling off.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2014, 20:03:45 »

A lot of good points there Chris

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 December 2014, 21:46:18 »

Okay, just a quick update on this

The car now goes around corners much better and no longer scares me when I flick it around a roundabout in the wet. In fact, it actually corners and feels like my first mig (2.5 manual saloon) which is the one that got me hooked on the big engine / rear wheel drive thing  :D

Right, here is the crap bit  >:(
The car still twitches initially to the left when I stab or brake hard.
I know that one of the rear discs is badly scored due the self-abuser who I bought it off telling porky pies about the locking wheel nut key being in the car and one of the rear pads getting down the rivets before I could get the wheel off so i'm thinking that this might have something to do with it  >:(

I have also been reminded that this really started getting out of hand after I had the back end jacked up for the spring change / all the weight was on the front end for a couple of days :-[

My scanner isn't working at the moment so i'll post up the geo settings when I get it fixed.
Must say the lads at Hi Q saw me right.
Only charged my 42 quid for adjusting front and back over 3 visits  :y

Also another question if I may, the 2 bolts which need to loosened to adjust the castor should be elongated bolts iirc.  Are these fitted as standard or do I need to buy them separate when I change the front shocks ?

chrisgixer

« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2014, 22:53:44 »

Camber bolts will be fine.

Also check steering idler, wisbone bushes, and wishbone bolts for tightness. Don't rule out tyre wear either although that's more of a drift if it's uneven.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 December 2014, 09:24:45 »

Also check steering idler, wisbone bushes, and wishbone bolts for tightness. Don't rule out tyre wear either although that's more of a drift if it's uneven.

Can the wishbone bolts be tweaked with the car on the ground or should the car be up in the air with the weight off the wheels ?

chrisgixer

« Reply #36 on: 09 December 2014, 09:31:17 »

Can the wishbone bolts be tweaked with the car on the ground or should the car be up in the air with the weight off the wheels ?
Tweaked?  120nm plus 30 degrees then 15degreees.

If you have poly it doesn't matter. If normal rubber bushes then it needs to be done wheels loaded. Do you have ramps? And Jack that will go high enough to place the ramps under...?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 December 2014, 09:40:34 »

Tweaked?  120nm plus 30 degrees then 15degreees.

If you have poly it doesn't matter. If normal rubber bushes then it needs to be done wheels loaded. Do you have ramps? And Jack that will go high enough to place the ramps under...?

No polys yet, just rubber.
Yes I have ramps but the front spoiler catches and the jack is only a 2 ton one so wont lift that far.
I'll see if I can dig out a plank or 2 to reduce the angle on the ramps or maybe some blocks of wood for the jack  :y
Cheers Chris  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.