Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3069901 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #14475 on: 01 June 2017, 17:57:58 »

Petrol vehicles seem to run on whatever you put in them, but I wouldn't put Asda diesel in the wife's captur, never mind a jaaaaaag.

Why? Comes from the same refinery ;)

Ok, there are some subtle differences in the additives they add but I wouldn't worry too much. In fact I'd probably spend the money saved over a few thankfully on a decent lubricating additive as the lubrication is what has taken the biggest hit over the years.
I found, with the Battlebus and the Tractor before it, branded lorry juice smoked noticibly less than supermarket stuff.  So the Battlebus always gets a couple of tanks of branded stuff before MOTs, as I'm amazed it ever passes any smoke test.

Can't say I've seen the big kitty smoke, but its obviously a much more refined engine, and probably has a dpf as well.  But with a 16ppl difference currently, it gets the cheap shit ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: 01 June 2017, 18:35:31 »

;D Gearbox electrickery plumbing...

Top of the engine is drier than the moon :y first job on buying the car was to replace the camcover and oil filter housing gaskets... And because the whole thing was designed by engineers rather than bean counters in Detroit, the plug wells have their own seals 8)

Wait until you need to do something under the inlet manifold. Then you'll be wishing that at least one of those engineers knew how to get his hands dirty.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: 01 June 2017, 18:52:58 »

Collected the swede today from Burnley.

Drive it back at 80/50 depending on the cameras, tooled into the middle of Birmingham and then back out again in rush hour to collect SWMBO and finished off with 15miles of a&b roads. Net result, 48.2 mpg  :y.

To say I'm pleased is an understatement, clearly the car's running as well as it appeared to be on my test drive.

I did however nearly stall pulling into the services, I'd had it in 5th for over an hr and managed to completely forget it had a 3rd pedal  :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: 01 June 2017, 18:54:58 »

Collected the swede today from Burnley.

Drive it back at 80/50 depending on the cameras, tooled into the middle of Birmingham and then back out again in rush hour to collect SWMBO and finished off with 15miles of a&b roads. Net result, 48.2 mpg  :y.

To say I'm pleased is an understatement, clearly the car's running as well as it appeared to be on my test drive.

I did however nearly stall pulling into the services, I'd had it in 5th for over an hr and managed to completely forget it had a 3rd pedal  :-[
Glad it works for you :y, fingers crossed it stays that way :)

Those M6 roadworks do bump up the economy, don't they ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: 01 June 2017, 19:09:30 »

Certainly do!  ;D

Yup, buying any car is a gamble, I'm hoping I'm due some luck with this one ;). Seeing as it's going to live it's life on the motorway, I'm hoping it has a decent chance!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: 01 June 2017, 19:22:17 »

Top of the engine is drier than the moon :y first job on buying the car was to replace the camcover and oil filter housing gaskets... And because the whole thing was designed by engineers rather than bean counters in Detroit, the plug wells have their own seals 8)

Wait until you need to do something under the inlet manifold. Then you'll be wishing that at least one of those engineers knew how to get his hands dirty.
Have changed the breather plumbing on it... Removing the ducting to the throttle body was about as much effort as the intake on the Omega...

Cleaning the gearbox plug has made sod all difference, but as the issue seems to be DSC/abs related, I suspect the Abs ecu is slowly dying :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: 01 June 2017, 21:14:42 »

Have changed the breather plumbing on it... Removing the ducting to the throttle body was about as much effort as the intake on the Omega...

Cleaning the gearbox plug has made sod all difference, but as the issue seems to be DSC/abs related, I suspect the Abs ecu is slowly dying :-\
Does it use a Bosch ECU like the Omega does? I recall reading somewhere that Bosch produced an ECU for BMW that used silver interconnecting wires even finer than the ones in the Omega ABS ECU (and then bedded them in goo to hold them in place) :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: 01 June 2017, 21:48:13 »

Yup ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: 01 June 2017, 23:18:23 »

Your oil leak isn't caused by a blocked engine crankcase breather is it?,the one I had recently started to use a litre of oil every 500 miles for no reason,changed breather and no more oil loss :y

Edit just read the other post about breathers doh :-[
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: 01 June 2017, 23:39:38 »

A rummage around the forums suggest abs codes involving sensors are usually correct. However when it comes to gearbox codes in conjuction with DSC/abs codes, the solution is to fix the Dsc/abs first, then worry about the gearbox later if it's still playing up :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: 02 June 2017, 00:46:03 »

....... as the issue seems to be DSC/abs related, I suspect the Abs ecu is slowly dying :-\

Is the ABS ECU by the exhaust manifold like mine is?  ??? 

If so apparently they are prone to failure due to the heat from the exhaust manifold, from what I understand from the forums.  ;)

The good news is that removing it is a complete doddle compared to the Omega.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: 02 June 2017, 00:56:02 »

....... as the issue seems to be DSC/abs related, I suspect the Abs ecu is slowly dying :-\

If so apparently they are prone to failure due to the heat from the exhaust manifold, from what I understand from the forums.  ;)

The good news is that removing it is a complete doddle compared to the Omega.  :y
Yes.

Yup.

Two minutes, including a cuppa :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: 02 June 2017, 01:07:17 »

Yes.

Yup.

Two minutes, including a cuppa :D

I phoned BBA Reman for a rebuild quote but as I didn't have the part no they couldn't give me an exact quote, but they did say it wouldn't be over £200.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: 02 June 2017, 13:05:00 »

Gone all electric and loving it so far  :y (don't worry I still have one Omega on the road)

2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: 02 June 2017, 15:51:20 »

And because the whole thing was designed by engineers rather than bean counters in Detroit, the plug wells have their own seals 8)

Bavarian engineers, in fact, so don't be surprised when you have to drop the sump and remove the main bearing shells to get to the spark plugs. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.