Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line inputs for Vauxhall Head Units  (Read 4688 times)

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
Line inputs for Vauxhall Head Units
« on: 01 March 2007, 21:16:32 »

Has anyone used one of these to get a line input on their original Vauxhall Head Unit? I'd like to hook something up to an NCDC2013 unit.  Would it need Tech 2 programming?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280085353613&rd=1&rd=1
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Line inputs for Vauxhall Head Units
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2007, 21:53:01 »

Has anyone used one of these to get a line input on their original Vauxhall Head Unit? I'd like to hook something up to an NCDC2013 unit.  Would it need Tech 2 programming?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280085353613&rd=1&rd=1
I'm pretty sure the NCDC range can do lineout anyway, its a config setting...
Grumpy old man

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2007, 21:57:33 »

Thanks TB, I was looking for a line-in so I can plug in a portable ipod type device. If the outputs can be configured to line-out, then perhaps the inputs can be configured to line in...
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2007, 08:57:51 »

Thanks TB, I was looking for a line-in so I can plug in a portable ipod type device. If the outputs can be configured to line-out, then perhaps the inputs can be configured to line in...
Sorry, I misread.

Most iPod adapters I've fitted plug in the cd changer input (the ipod acts as a changer), can you do that...
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 08:58:58 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2007, 18:29:28 »

the other option is an FM modulator - the aerial cable connects to the modulator, which then plugs into the aerial connection in the radio - as it's hard wired you don't have the problems with poor reception that you get with the FM transmitters. My harman kardon ipod interface/controller uses one - works very well.

But a true line input should give better quality ... here's a pic of the NCDC2013 pinouts I took a few months ago:

if you look at the bottom right of the additional connection (20 pin) plug, they say "CDL, CD-, CDR" which I'd assume is the left, ground and right connection for an external CD changer respectively. Then you'd just need some way of switching to that input ... not sure which pins the traffic master connection uses, it may use the CD changer input for that?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2007, 19:45:07 »

Interesting stuff. This is something I'm interested in having a fiddle with too.

I'll have a play with that sometime and see it I can get anything out of it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2007, 22:08:36 »

TIS2000 doesn't show any connection to these pins on the 2013/2015, but it does show the telephone loudspeaker input on pins 35 and 36 (top right) and the control on pin 34 (mute).

If one were to use the CD input, how would it be controlled?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2007, 22:27:17 »

If one were to use the CD input, how would it be controlled?

That's the big question. One option is that the radio talks to the CD changer and enables the audio input when the CD changer is playing, in which case it's not going to be easy.

The other option is that the CD changer indicates when it is playing using one of the other signal lines and the radio just switches to that as the source. Then it's not to bad. You could either fit a switch to manually select that input or maybe even pick up a signal fron (e.g.) and IPod cradle to automatically select it when the IPOD is playing.

Anyone know which other lines the CD changer connects to?

Unfortunately the phone input looks to be mono, otherwise that would have been nice!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2007, 22:33:29 »

Unfortunately the phone input looks to be mono, otherwise that would have been nice!Kevin

DOH!

One option is that the radio talks to the CD changer and enables the audio input when the CD changer is playing, in which case it's not going to be easy.

The other option is that the CD changer indicates when it is playing using one of the other signal lines and the radio just switches to that as the source.

Anyone know which other lines the CD changer connects to?

Kevin
Going to have a look, stay tuned.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2007, 09:01:54 »

I believe you can get special iPod adapters that connect iPod to stereo, and they work in such a way that each playlist counts as a CD etc etc.  Not cheap, but may be worth investing in one of those.  Plug and play pretty much...
Grumpy old man

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2007, 14:43:14 »

Bought one of these the other day, the wires go to the wrong pins, but notice the blue lead coming out of the connector?

Mine actually is the threepart multicolour unit (yellow, blue, green), and can be bought here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99513&criteria=iso&doy=7m3

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2007, 15:24:47 »

That's an ISO connector, though, for head units with a 3rd ISO connector for line in / out. I don't believe the VX head units have one of those connectors.  Not looked myself yet though.

Kevin

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2007, 15:41:22 »

That's an ISO connector, though, for head units with a 3rd ISO connector for line in / out. I don't believe the VX head units have one of those connectors.  Not looked myself yet though.

Kevin

Kevin, I think you may be right about the illustration - the on-line Maplin catalogue doesn't seem to have much of a resemblance to reality.

Nevertheless, the one I bought does fit the top 20 pin connector, and it does have a blue lead coming out of it (presumably it's a control line) but the RCA connectorsare wired the wrong pins. I'll look again tonight, but from memory they're connected to the left-hand pins (B+, G+, R+ etc)
« Last Edit: 07 March 2007, 18:43:29 by BigCat »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2007, 16:49:59 »

the on-line Maplin catalogue doesn't seem to have much of a resemblance to reality.

Appologies. It's Maplin re-using photos!

Would be interesting to see what pins it does connect to.

It may at least be possible to pop the pins out and re-inset them into the right holes.

Kevin

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2007, 20:25:56 »

It may at least be possible to pop the pins out and re-inset them into the right holes.

Kevin

Won't have time to try it until Friday, but in the meantime have also ordered some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170070952002&rd=1&rd=1

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170088359623&rd=1&rd=1

Oh well, all grist to the mill.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2007, 20:30:26 by BigCat »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.