Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat D write off  (Read 1867 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Cat D write off
« on: 04 February 2007, 18:33:15 »

A few weeks ago I bought an 1.4 05 Rover 25 GSI which has had very light frontal damage for £2200. I have replaced the front bumper, one headlight, the radiator, air con rad, drivers side air bag, bonnet which has cost another £1100. What I am wondering is how much less is a catagory D worth than a car thats had no damage.

I bought it to make a few quid and now the wife has seen it nearly finished she wants to keep it for herself and sell her Rover 25 diesel and im not suprised as its only done 11500 miles and has full leather, aircon, reversing sensors, electric windows, suroof, mirrors and a CD player.
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Cat D write off
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2007, 18:41:36 »

Not got a Glasses to advise, but generally considered minimum value, circa 75% of bottom book/trade value, irrespective of how good the condition and mileage, given its in good nick.  Sight unseen, normally 33% of bottom book, apparently.  Normally advisable to keep photo record of rebuild so as to allay fears of potential purchasers.  That way you can bulsh*t about repair and get a good price above that listed.

HtH

B
« Last Edit: 04 February 2007, 18:43:23 by hotel21 »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2007, 18:50:38 »

Not got a Glasses to advise, but generally considered minimum value, circa 75% of bottom book/trade value, irrespective of how good the condition and mileage, given its in good nick.  Sight unseen, normally 33% of bottom book, apparently.  Normally advisable to keep photo record of rebuild so as to allay fears of potential purchasers.  That way you can bulsh*t about repair and get a good price above that listed.

HtH

B
Glasses guide say £4025 less 25% £1000 = £3025 :o oh well looks like the wife has a new car ;D
Retired

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2007, 22:35:53 »

thats still a tidy profit.unless..are the panels sprayed to match or has that stil to be done?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2007, 22:43:47 »

thats still a tidy profit.unless..are the panels sprayed to match or has that stil to be done?

Im running at a loss. The car cost £2200 plus another £1100 to get all the bits and have them sprayed and ive not had the air con regassed yet :'(
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2007, 22:51:43 »

Im running at a loss. The car cost £2200 plus another £1100 to get all the bits and have them sprayed and ive not had the air con regassed yet :'(

No disrespect intended, but the car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, depending on the honesty of the seller?

Its a judgement call all round, really.....   Your wife can end up with a really nice car, well fettled and repaired, at minimal cost to you both once the sale of the previous car is added into it all.  Sale of the old one may pay for the paint....   :y

B

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2007, 22:58:55 »

Cheers Brucie

I will give it a try in the Auto Trader as the cheapest one in there is £4995 and tell anyone who phones that it is a Cat D repair. I have kept the old bits to show it was very minor damage.

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say ;)
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2007, 23:03:46 »

As long as your initial price pitch is reasonable, all things considered, all should end up OK.  Make sure that any receipt you get a buyer to sign also has that its a CatD repair.  That way, if the brown stuff later hits the fan, you are bombproof and the buck will stop with your new buyer.

Just a thought....

B

ps - Not meaning to teach on a public forum the method of extracting juice from a lemon using ones mouth, but its easier to drop the price as a seller than try to get it upwards!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: 04 February 2007, 23:04:33 by hotel21 »

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2007, 23:05:18 »

No disrespect intended, but the car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, depending on the honesty of the seller?

Its a judgement call all round, really.....   Your wife can end up with a really nice car, well fettled and repaired, at minimal cost to you both once the sale of the previous car is added into it all.  Sale of the old one may pay for the paint....   :y

B

I agree, write offs are hard to shift,. let Mrs EP have her own way, sell her old one, ( which if i remember is nice looking car ) and then sit back and relax as you won't be getting any hassle :D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2007, 23:06:43 »

B

I agree, write offs are hard to shift,. let Mrs EP have her own way, sell her old one, ( which if i remember is nice looking car ) and then sit back and relax as you won't be getting any hassle :D

Oh she will find something to moan about  ::)
Retired

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2007, 23:08:58 »

B

Sorry, I forgot to say for the next 45 mins ::)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2007, 23:11:26 »

B

My wife has a list of moans (jobs to do) and when ive completed one job to her satisfaction she gives me grief until the next job is completed ;D
Retired

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2007, 23:16:38 »

B

My wife has a list of moans (jobs to do) and when ive completed one job to her satisfaction she gives me grief until the next job is completed ;D

Can you tell me the secret of completing a job to the wifes satisfaction :o

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2007, 23:23:49 »

B

No problem.

First you do the job how she wants it then when she sees its not right or wont work you do it your way, the right way. I know it means doing it twice but its better than doing your way then the wife saying she doesnt like it so you do it her way which you know wont work so you end up having to do for the third time your way again.

Just like to add that I dont think my wife is a right royal pain in the arse ::)
« Last Edit: 04 February 2007, 23:25:43 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2007, 23:30:42 »

B

No problem.

First you do the job how she wants it then when she sees its not right or wont work you do it your way, the right way. I know it means doing it twice but its better than doing your way then the wife saying she doesnt like it so you do it her way which you know wont work so you end up having to do for the third time your way again.

Just like to add that I dont think my wife is a right royal pain in the arse ::)

I see ;D ;D ;D, Can you forward this information to Mrs Timbuk via text, telephone, fax, email, carrier pigeon and any other means possible :-?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2007, 10:08:16 »

Oooops just re read - thought your total output was £2200 including repair  :-[
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2007, 10:14:38 »

Oooops just re read - thought your total output was £2200 including repair  :-[

I wish  ;D
Retired
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.