Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brakelight query  (Read 1199 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Brakelight query
« on: 02 February 2007, 12:27:42 »

Is there any rules as to how many brakelights you have on the back of your car (obviously the standard boot lights).

I have enquired about a rear lip spoiler and have turned it down as I have the High Level Brake Light fitted.

Was wondering though if there were any laws stating how many you can have as I was thinking its either one or the other or does it not matter.

Just curious really

« Last Edit: 02 February 2007, 12:45:20 by nixoro »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Brakelight query
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2007, 12:40:30 »

Without delving into books etc which are not available to me at this time, there is no maximum limit for number of brake lamps as such, as far as I recall.  

Obviously if its a motorbike, only one and central to the rear of the vehicle.  If fitted to one side, must be offside / drivers / right as looking from the rear to the front.  Import rules, however, do apply.

A car needs two, with one at each extremity, within measured limits of the edge of the vehicle.

I dunno if there is a legal need for a high level brake light to be fitted after a certain date, nor do I have details on its size/quantity.  

Thinking out loud, though, there are the likes of the Honda CRV's which have a wide, narrow strip of LED's which are used as a high level light.  There must be in the region of 20 - 30 LED's in that!

Will have a rake around and see what I can dig up.

HtH

B  

ps - Basic rule of thumb as regards lights in general is that if they are fitted, they must work.  ie a duff headlamp is a booking / failure but if you remove the entire headlamp unit, glass and all, its a pass!!  
« Last Edit: 02 February 2007, 12:57:41 by hotel21 »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2007, 12:48:38 »

Cheers hotel21

Reason I ask is I have seen a couple of veccy's in my area with two brakelights in the middle on the rear of the car.

1 on a bridge spoiler and 1 in the window.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2007, 12:52:53 »

How about this....

The bit you are asking about is Part II at the bottom........    ;D

Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
PART I
REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OBLIGATORY STOP LAMPS AND TO OPTIONAL STOP LAMPS TO THE EXTENT SPECIFIED IN PART II
    1.    Number-
    (a)  Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b) or (c):
 Two
    (b)  A solo motor bicycle, a motor bicycle combination, an invalid carriage and a trailer drawn by a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination:
 One
    (c)  Any other motor vehicle first used before 1st January 1971 and any other trailer manufactured before that date:
 One
    2.    Position-
    (a)  Longitudinal:
 No requirement
    (b)  Lateral-
(i)  Maximum distance from the side of the vehicle-
(A)  Where two stop lamps are fitted:
 One on each side of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle
(B)  Where only one stop lamp is fitted:
 On the centre-line or off side of the vehicle (disregarding any sidecar forming part of a motor bicycle combination)
(ii)  Minimum separation distance between two obligatory stop lamps:
 400 mm
    (c)  Vertical-
(i)  Maximum height above the ground-
(A)  Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B):
 1500 mm or, if the structure of the vehicle makes this impracticable, 2100 mm
(B)  A motor vehicle first used before 1st January 1971, a trailer manufactured before that date and a motor vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph:
 No requirement
(ii)  Minimum height above the ground-
(A)  Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B):
 350 mm
(B)  A motor vehicle first used before 1st January 1971 and a trailer manufactured before that date:
 No requirement
    3.    Angles of visibility-
    (a)  A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st January 1971 and a trailer manufactured on or after that date-
(i)  Horizontal:
 45° to the left and to the right
(ii)  Vertical-
(A)  Except in a case specified in sub-paragraph (B) or (C):
 15° above and below the horizontal
(B)  Where the highest part of the illuminated area of the lamp is less than 1500 mm above the ground:
 15° above and 10° below the horizontal
(C)  Where the highest part of the illuminated area of the lamp is less than 750 mm above the ground:
 15° above and 5° below the horizontal
    (b)  A motor vehicle first used before 1st January 1971 and a trailer manufactured before that date:
 Visible to the rear
    4.    Alignment:
 To the rear
    5.    Markings-
    (a)  Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b) or (c):
 An approval mark
    (b)  A motor vehicle first used before 1st February 1974 and a trailer manufactured before that date:
 No requirement
    (c)  A solo motor bicycle and a motor bicycle combination, in each case first used before 1st April 1986, and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985 drawn by a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination:
 No requirement
    6.    Size of illuminated area:
 No requirement
    7.    Colour:
 Red
    8.    Wattage-
    (a)  A stop lamp fitted to a motor vehicle first used before 1st January 1971 or a trailer manufactured before that date and a stop lamp bearing an approval mark:
 No requirement
    (b)  Any other stop lamp:
 15 to 36 watts
    9.    Intensity:
 No requirement
    10.    Electrical connections-
    (a)  Every stop lamp fitted to-
(i)  a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination first used on or after 1st April 1986 shall be operated by the application of every service brake control provided for the use of the rider;
(ii)  any other motor vehicle, shall be operated by the application of the service braking system.
    (b)  Every stop lamp fitted to a trailer drawn by a motor vehicle shall be operated by the application of the service braking system of that motor vehicle.
    11.    Tell-tale:
 No requirement
    12.    Other requirements-
Where two stop lamps are required to be fitted, they shall form a pair.
    13.    Definitions-
In this Schedule "approval mark" means-
    (a)  in relation to a solo motor bicycle, a motor bicycle combination or a trailer drawn by a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 50A of Schedule 2 to those Regulations; and
    (b)  in relation to any other vehicle, either-
(i)  a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 7 or, if combined with a rear position lamp, at item 8 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations; or
(ii)  a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 7B or, if combined with a rear position lamp, at item 7C of Schedule 2 to those Regulations.

PART II

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OPTIONAL STOP LAMPS
Any number may be fitted, and the requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are all those specified in Part I except-
    (a)  those specified in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3; and
    (b)  in the case of a stop lamp fitted to a pedal cycle, those specified in paragraphs 5 and 8; and
    (c)  in the case of a stop lamp fitted to a motor vehicle not being a motor bicycle, first used on or after 1st April 1991 either centrally or in such a manner as to project light through the rear window the intensity of the light emitted to the rear of the vehicle shall be not less than 20 candelas and not more than 60 candelas when measured from directly behind the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2007, 12:56:13 by hotel21 »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2007, 13:29:59 »

Interesting to know so it would be legal to fit both high level and rearlip spoiler with light so long as the light emitted are within the correct standards (no more than 60 candelas) :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2007, 13:36:33 »

It certainly would appear to be but, as always in such things, can sometimes take a Court Case to get a definative answer!!   ;D

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2007, 16:27:57 »

Interesting to know so it would be legal to fit both high level and rearlip spoiler with light so long as the light emitted are within the correct standards (no more than 60 candelas) :y

IMHO that's a stupid set of rules... i mean, how the hell are you going to fit 20-60 candles on a boot spoiler without them going out all the time??    or for that matter , how do you connect enough matches to the brake pedal to ensure they light up at the right moment.... :y

this planet drives me nuts
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2007, 16:47:36 »

IMHO that's a stupid set of rules... i mean, how the hell are you going to fit 20-60 candles on a boot spoiler without them going out all the time??    or for that matter , how do you connect enough matches to the brake pedal to ensure they light up at the right moment.... :y

this planet drives me nuts

Very Good Max ;D

Having re read the thread again i'm assuming Candelas means the LED's,  :-[ not very technical when it comes to electrics or lighting can do minor stuff though.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2007, 17:49:37 »

Nope, Candelas is to light what horsepower is to, well, power....   ;D

Its the value or standard to which light output is compared, like watts, metres, feet, furlongs etc etc.   :y

B

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2007, 10:19:48 »

Nope, Candelas is to light what horsepower is to, well, power....   ;D

Its the value or standard to which light output is compared, like watts, metres, feet, furlongs etc etc.   :y

B

Ahh that makes sense :)

Looks like i'm keeping the motor for the time being been mentioned in another thread as at the weekend I picked up a nice rearlip spoiler  same colour as car so looking to move the high level into my dads car.

Would have had it all fitted yesterday but lost daylight still atleast I managed to get all the wiring routed.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2007, 10:57:52 »

I doubt if patrol cars actually carry 'Candels-meters' as standard....?  :o
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.