Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 64 Fuel Quantity Control Out of Range  (Read 4021 times)

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
64 Fuel Quantity Control Out of Range
« on: 17 September 2010, 20:33:38 »

Well the only problem (other than the wrong coding for the autobox) I appear to be left with is Error 64. I have been through the check list for the Actuator as per TIS and have drawn a blank.

I guess as I have shaken a lot of stuff around I might have disturbed a load of crud and it's just bunging stuff up, so a general service would be the first step.

The car seems to run reasonable well other than idle, which it really struggles to do, misses etc

I guess I may have a pipe or connector on the wrong bit, but there is nothing I can see.

I'm no diesel expert so could do with a few poiters to look at.

I'm on holidays for a week from sunday, so I'm not going to be near the car to try stuff, but will try and keep in touch with the forum.... perhaps  ::)
Regards

Richard Horton

Drives  '99 Omega Elite TD (almost)  Auto Estate

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: 64 Fuel Quantity Control Out of Range
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2010, 20:36:18 »

The diesel magic trick sounds to be in order

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2010, 21:26:45 »

Assuming the connections to pump are fine, as suggested, empty fuel filter, fill to brim with Diesel Magic, and start - it may run rough for a few secs....
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2010, 21:47:35 »

may take more than one go!!! to clear it completely or it may not but its worth trying it

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2010, 22:36:50 »

Well one down, and I have another can to try as no real improvement. Still ticks over like a bag of nails. Fine on the run, accelerates like a scolded cat, but it would with a V6 diff in it  :o

No real black smoke, except when chugging on tick over.

I'll try the other can when I get back off holidays, but for now it's got me beat.
Regards

Richard Horton

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2010, 06:32:28 »

Well one down, and I have another can to try as no real improvement. Still ticks over like a bag of nails. Fine on the run, accelerates like a scolded cat, but it would with a V6 diff in it  :o

I'll try the other can when I get back off holidays, but for now it's got me beat.

no smoke except on tickover ? thats a strange one, if it performs well in other areas, is the engine mechanically noisy?
cos that dont half sound like the chain has slipped, hope it isnt but did you by chance turn the engine backwards when lining the gearbox up? if it is this you will have to remove the timing cover and use the special tool to hold the pump in place while you renew the chains and guides!!  Elite Pete has recently done this job if it turns out thats the fault, hope its not but it could be
« Last Edit: 19 September 2010, 07:02:57 by Omegatoy »

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2010, 08:50:47 »

no smoke except on tickover ? thats a strange one, if it performs well in other areas, is the engine mechanically noisy?
cos that dont half sound like the chain has slipped, hope it isnt but did you by chance turn the engine backwards when lining the gearbox up? if it is this you will have to remove the timing cover and use the special tool to hold the pump in place while you renew the chains and guides!!  Elite Pete has recently done this job if it turns out thats the fault, hope its not but it could be

Bugger hope not, but I honestly can't remember if I did turn the engine backwards. It only puts out a puff of black smoke when it is missfiring (?) , and it doesn't do that all the time. I'm up for just general gunked-up-ness. When I had the inlet off, it was thick with black goo. When I get back i'll give it a good service and see what the result is.

Oh and I desperatly need to sort the gearbox ecu map out, that possibly isn't helping
Regards

Richard Horton

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2010, 09:28:22 »

try advancing the pump slightly.
easy to do theres a 12mm bolt at the back of the pump this one is a knuckle scraper I took the battery out, theres a 12mm nut at the back down behind the base of the oil filter casing and the easy one at the side you can see.
once slackend turn the top of the pump towards the engine and tighten the easy nut tightly then start engine.
ive got 64 and diesel magiced it x3 and put 5 in the tank no joy
I recently fitted a re-con pump but it now looks like im going to have to buy a brand new one ive got the same a you idles rough.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2010, 15:45:48 »

Bugger hope not, but I honestly can't remember if I did turn the engine backwards. It only puts out a puff of black smoke when it is missfiring (?) , and it doesn't do that all the time. I'm up for just general gunked-up-ness. When I had the inlet off, it was thick with black goo. When I get back i'll give it a good service and see what the result is.

Oh and I desperatly need to sort the gearbox ecu map out, that possibly isn't helping

hope its not also!!! however if the engine pulls well otherwise i would be wondering about a gummed up lifter or something? in other words, maybe not opening the valve at slow rpms and then working when the oil pressure rises with rpms?
hope it is mate!!

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2010, 19:28:47 »

Back off the hols and more chance to look at it...

Poor tickover seems to only occur when in "Park" and "N" other wise when "on load" it seems to tick over reasonably nicely although when slowing down it gives a bit of a cough.

On another note anyone know how to get rid of an airlock in the PAS system... i though it would have cured itself after nearly 300 miles. It won't turn right easily  :(
Regards

Richard Horton

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2010, 20:13:26 »

Have you stripped A cleaned the fuel lift pump?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251298222
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2010, 20:19:35 »

Sounds like it's overfuelling by a fair margin to me and borderline flooding at idle.. leaky injector maybe?

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2010, 20:34:53 »

Have you stripped A cleaned the fuel lift pump?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251298222

It's on the list to do tomorrow :)
Regards

Richard Horton

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2010, 20:50:47 »

Sounds like it's overfuelling by a fair margin to me and borderline flooding at idle.. leaky injector maybe?

Now that's beginning to be my feeling after running it for a while, fuel consumption does seem quite high.

When I first got the doner it did appear to have been leaking from the overflow pipes so I replaced all of that lot.

So where do I start? dismantling and cleaning the injectors or is there some way of winding the pump back to deliver less ??
Regards

Richard Horton

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2010, 17:56:34 »

if it was over fueling there would be black soot on the rear bumper.
start with cleaning the injectors.
Before you re-connect them put a diesel magic in the filter then put rags under each injector feed pipe and turn the engine over(this is best done when the injectors are removed)keep turning the engine over for about a minute then have a look at each rag to see if any crud has been spat out :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.