Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New DS3 cockpit  (Read 3731 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: New DS3 cockpit
« Reply #30 on: 03 June 2021, 15:09:40 »

As for screens, the latest compute unit my team are putting together can drive 6 of the bloody things

Just the 6? ....  ::) This is a Honda e .... I saw one for the first time the other week.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 June 2021, 15:55:36 »

Yes, as the eMirrors have to be ASIL-B safety rated so handled by a different controller (they also have to be on very quickly with very low latency)  :y

That actually only has 3 screens (with eMirrors discounted) and looks bloody awful  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 June 2021, 16:17:45 »

Yes, as the eMirrors have to be ASIL-B safety rated so handled by a different controller (they also have to be on very quickly with very low latency)  :y

That actually only has 3 screens (with eMirrors discounted) and looks bloody awful  ;D

Using 3 separate screens for the mirrors like that is ridiculous. If you don't combine all three into one panoramic view where the rearview mirror would be, you might as well just fit low tech, cheap and reliable reflective glass.

Why would you want more than one screen for the rest of the car?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2021, 17:11:14 »

Using 3 separate screens for the mirrors like that is ridiculous. If you don't combine all three into one panoramic view where the rearview mirror would be, you might as well just fit low tech, cheap and reliable reflective glass.

Some displays I understand, cluster, HUD, central infotainment, possibly climate/sub functions. Then maybe rear seat entertainment.

eMirrors are driven by 'aero' (i am not a fan), Smart Rear View Mirror only makes sense when there is limited rear visibility (although the extra camera you can attach to the back of trailers is quote useful)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 June 2021, 17:21:11 »

and looks bloody awful  ;D

likewise the rest of the car  ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 June 2021, 17:35:47 »

Some displays I understand, cluster, HUD, central infotainment, possibly climate/sub functions. Then maybe rear seat entertainment.

But that's my point; nobody needs the infotainment(which is a ghastly concept) and climate functions displayed unless they're actually being adjusted. Which means the current massive screen for the 'dials' can be used. And I thought climate control was supposed to not need adjusting - I never do, just set mine to 20degrees when I get the car and don't touch it again. That can be done with one rotary knob with the temperature inset into it.

HUDs. Really? In a car? What do you need to know so badly that it has to be projected into your view 279.78mm above the normal display.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 June 2021, 21:19:46 »

Ultimately, it's all only there so that the manufacturer's can sell you another car that's more betterer than the last one they sold you.

And of course it keeps things ticking over nicely because now when your climate control knob breaks, instead of it being a £20 part they can charge you a squillion pounds and explain to you how it's just cheaper to buy a new car instead.

See also £1800 for an indicator bulb.  :-X

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 June 2021, 21:48:27 »

Ultimately, it's all only there so that the manufacturer's can sell you another car that's more betterer than the last one they sold you.

And of course it keeps things ticking over nicely because now when your climate control knob breaks, instead of it being a £20 part they can charge you a squillion pounds and explain to you how it's just cheaper to buy a new car instead.

See also £1800 for an indicator bulb.  :-X
Ouch!  ;D
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 June 2021, 10:12:29 »

I really like the HUD function, and will probably add it to the next car  :y (we are talking a proper projected onto the windscreen job and not these tacky perspex things on the IP)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.