Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED bulbs for number plate light.  (Read 4761 times)

PhilCavSRi130

• Stone,  Staffordshire
  • GRIFFIN POWER!!
    • View Profile
LED bulbs for number plate light.
« on: 02 March 2012, 22:13:13 »

Had an unusual one tonight! Bought a couple of led bulbs for the number plate light on the omega and the wifes vectra B as they'd both gone so thought id upgrade. Tried fitting them on the veccy and it wouldnt work. Thought there might be an issue with the holder so checked for power which was ok. Tried a normal bulb and it worked fine. Tried the LED bulb both ways round still nothing. Powered the holder direct onto the battery and it lit up fine. Thought i'd then try the omega and the same problem so again put a normal bulb in and all lit ok!! Puzzled I thought i'd see if anyone has any idea???

Martian

Re: LED bulbs for number plate light.
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2012, 23:00:24 »

Probably wants a loading resistor, and if the car has CANBUS then you will need to buy the CANBUS version of the LED.

Omega_Dan

« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2012, 23:38:23 »

My rear number plate has an led bulb. Works fine but the beam shines straight at the floor and only illuminates a few letters/numbers

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2012, 04:47:40 »

Martian is right on, but the light from an led is directional and has only a limited angle of illumination. If the plate is not fully readable at night then the bobbys may wrell give you a tug when you dont need it. :D
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2012, 06:24:13 »

Bugger! I just got one for mine but not fitted it yet!!!!

venom

• South Moreton, Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2012, 11:52:05 »

If you twist the bulb  a bit more towards the boot & they light the plate up no probs
Ken

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2012, 11:59:49 »

Had an unusual one tonight! Bought a couple of led bulbs for the number plate light on the omega and the wifes vectra B as they'd both gone so thought id downgrade. Tried fitting them on the veccy and it wouldnt work. Thought there might be an issue with the holder so checked for power which was ok. Tried a normal bulb and it worked fine. Tried the LED bulb both ways round still nothing. Powered the holder direct onto the battery and it lit up fine. Thought i'd then try the omega and the same problem so again put a normal bulb in and all lit ok!! Puzzled I thought i'd see if anyone has any idea???
Fixed your spelling mistake ;)
Grumpy old man

Martian

« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2012, 13:16:18 »

Had an unusual one tonight! Bought a couple of led bulbs for the number plate light on the omega and the wifes vectra B as they'd both gone so thought id downgrade. Tried fitting them on the veccy and it wouldnt work. Thought there might be an issue with the holder so checked for power which was ok. Tried a normal bulb and it worked fine. Tried the LED bulb both ways round still nothing. Powered the holder direct onto the battery and it lit up fine. Thought i'd then try the omega and the same problem so again put a normal bulb in and all lit ok!! Puzzled I thought i'd see if anyone has any idea???
;D ;D

PhilCavSRi130

• Stone,  Staffordshire
  • GRIFFIN POWER!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2012, 16:22:45 »

To avoid the directional problem with LEDs all you need to do is sand them to create a diffused light which solves the problem. I've always done this with LEDs especially when fitting into your dash as it avoids the pinpointed light effect.  ;)

Seems a little odd to me that they wont light at all even when im getting a 12volt supply into the bulb holder. I know what your saying about the canbus system but i wouldnt have expected that to have any effect on the light actually working?? i've got a resisitor i can try will put that in and report back.  :y

PhilCavSRi130

• Stone,  Staffordshire
  • GRIFFIN POWER!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2012, 17:12:13 »

OK if you say so.......still in the dark ages are we?  :D

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2012, 17:31:51 »

Just to check, have you tried it without the cover on? Depending on the size of the bulb it can be pushed back and break the contact when it's all fitted.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2012, 17:34:05 »

OK if you say so.......still in the dark ages are we?  :D

Not with incandescent bulbs, they appear to work as designed ..... unlike your LED's .....   :)  :)

PhilCavSRi130

• Stone,  Staffordshire
  • GRIFFIN POWER!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2012, 19:00:37 »

Congrats there Entwood you completely missed the cheesy sarcasm of my comment lol.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2012, 19:20:20 »

Congrats there Entwood you completely missed the cheesy sarcasm of my comment lol.

Ahh .. now .. what was that definition of sarcasm ............. ?

:)

Martian

« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2012, 21:18:50 »

To avoid the directional problem with LEDs all you need to do is sand them to create a diffused light which solves the problem.
30 LED's in this one

Seems a little odd to me that they wont light at all even when im getting a 12volt supply into the bulb holder. I know what your saying about the canbus system but i wouldnt have expected that to have any effect on the light actually working??
The lamp failure warning system expects to see a specific load in order to work

i've got a resisitor i can try will put that in and report back.  :y
You can't use any old resistor, you have to use one that will produce the same load as the standard lamp you are replacing.
You also need to make sure it is man enough for the job as well, because if you use one that is under-rated for the job then it will melt in seconds.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2012, 21:21:26 by Martian »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.