Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Radio  (Read 2876 times)

FRE07962128

Digital Radio
« on: 22 April 2008, 18:20:24 »

Thinking ahead to when the big digital radio switch over takes place, what can we do in advance to upgrade using our EXISTING car radio's?

Is it possible to fit a 'diggie box' as you can with televisions so the existing car radios operate on the new signal?  :-?

Lizzie Zoom :D

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Radio
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2008, 18:46:37 »

looked at this yesterday
very interested in getting one for mine
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1208800810

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2008, 18:49:24 »

anyone know when our old valve radios are going to stop working ? :-/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2008, 19:07:37 »

The New format of DAB+ is due to be launched around 2012 ish - something they are trying to keep very quiet as existing DAB stuff will NOT be compatable with it.

Not much about it on the net, and I heard it first hand from some people within the industry.

>:(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

FRE07962128

« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2008, 19:26:03 »

looked at this yesterday

Thanks!  Yes that does look good :y.  Am I right to understand that the new unit installed gives a DAB signal to the existing car radio?

Lizzie Zoom :D :D

FRE07962128

« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2008, 19:28:06 »

The New format of DAB+ is due to be launched around 2012 ish - something they are trying to keep very quiet as existing DAB stuff will NOT be compatable with it.

Not much about it on the net, and I heard it first hand from some people within the industry.

>:(

That's another concern then! :-/

What do you recommend I should do; update now or wait until new DAB+ on market? :-/

Lizzie Zoom :-?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2008, 19:28:54 »

looked at this yesterday

Thanks!  Yes that does look good :y.  Am I right to understand that the new unit installed gives a DAB signal to the existing car radio?

Lizzie Zoom :D :D

No, it will tune into the dab signal and convert it to an FM signal which the existing radio can receive.

I winder if DAB2 will ever make it out given how small the percentage take up of DAB is....

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2008, 19:34:15 »

I winder if DAB2 will ever make it out given how small the percentage take up of DAB is....

A very good point - and I would not advise poeple to wait or be put off from using DAB at the moment.

It took ten years for RDS to become commonpace and accepted !! Even if DAB+ does launch in 4 years, it aint gonna be ready for at least another 5 years after that !

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

FRE07962128

« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2008, 19:35:58 »

A very good point - and I would not advise poeple to wait or be put off from using DAB at the moment.

It took ten years for RDS to become commonpace and accepted !! Even if DAB+ does launch in 4 years, it aint gonna be ready for at least another 5 years after that !

;)

Thanks! :y :y :y

Lizzie Zoom :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2008, 20:01:19 »

;)

But RDS is an 'aswel as' rather than the 'instead of' that DAB seems to be. You don't have to have the RDS station on display to pick up a signal on an old radio. When/if they turn the anaogue off you'll have to have digital.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2008, 20:20:56 »

But RDS is an 'aswel as' rather than the 'instead of'

Yes, but to put it into context, 15 years ago, we had to convince customers that it was worth spending an EXTRA £150 on the price of their radio to have the RDS functionality - now we accept it as commonplace.

What I am trying to say is new ideas are great, but it always takes a while to be accepted.

Personally, I do not think that the public will take to DAB+ at all, as it is just another format that needs an expensive upgrade for little benefit, and tio illustrate my point - look at HDDVD - haven`t they just spectacularly withdrawn from the format wars? And who is going to spend a grand an a BluRay DVD recorder ?

DAB is excellent - buy into it now and enjoy it, be aware of the new DAB+ in a few years time, and if you ever see a benefit of another format change I`d be very surprised !

:-/

www.dndservices.co.uk

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2008, 12:54:10 »

Personally, I do not think that the public will take to DAB+ at all, as it is just another format that needs an expensive upgrade for little benefit, and tio illustrate my point - look at HDDVD - haven`t they just spectacularly withdrawn from the format wars? And who is going to spend a grand an a BluRay DVD recorder ?

Why get a recorder - I'll get a PC drive in  year or sos time, buut we do have a PS3 for playback.

As to DAB - a bit of a flop, and FM, I think this will last for a while, no reason to change unlike TV.

With TV we got more channels into the same spectrum as you do not need the 3 channel spaces unlike analogue, also we get more TV channels per channel - not necessary any good. And I was was running the country I would use the freed spectrum for HDTV.

For DAB2 to work it will need to

1) Use FM band
2) Sound better than FM or DAB, which means quite high bit rates.

And forget about clearing spectrum for sale - just use more efficiently.

Quick think - I have at least 10 FM radio capable things only 2 are DAB convertable (AV receiver - plug it in, 1 ghetto blaster has audio in), both analogue TVs can use DTTV boxes, other TV is digital.

Also never used analogue on the portable LCD :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2008, 16:43:55 »

As to DAB - a bit of a flop, and FM, I think this will last for a while, no reason to change unlike TV.

The problem with DAB is that it replaces a format that's cheap and quite useable in many scenarios with one that's just about adequate for a portable radio or in-car use but rubbish for anything else, and costs more. It also doesn't really give the consumer much more for their money.

It used to promise loads of new channels, and they didn't really materialise. DTV has delivered that.

It promised better quality and people complain about gurgling noises. DTV, provided you've got a decent antenna, delivers this whereas it used to be a challenge with analogue TV sometimes.

... and FM radio actually sounds very nice on a decent Hi-Fi if you find a station that doesn't overdo the Optimod, get a roof antenna and a good tuner. Try that with DAB...  ;D

I think if they switched off FM broadcast today most punters would just switch their existing radios to AM, or listen through SKY / Freeview / Broadband.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MAX

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2008, 19:33:40 »

looked at this yesterday
YES YES i have got to get one of those :y :y well spotted :y

FRE07962128

« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2008, 07:08:08 »

looked at this yesterday

I have been thinking about this again;  the problem for me would be mounting it on the windscreen which I do not want to do for safety, security and appearance reasons.

Do you think it could be placed in the boot area, with the ariel on the rear window.  Would it still be close enough to the existing radio on the central consul for it to work with it? :-/ :-/
« Last Edit: 25 April 2008, 07:09:03 by FRE07962128 »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2008, 00:13:57 »

My understanding is that the whole DAB vers FM thing has been put on hold till after the Olympics 2012 now?

DAB has really not taken off in the UK, it also uses part of the Band III radio spectrum which was given to Trunked Radio Network Operaters a few years back (comes from the old Black and White TV Frequency,s).

Theres a lot of Huffing and Puffing between Band 3 Network Operaters, RA, Oftel and the DAB / Broadcast members and the planned EU Radio spectrum for Advanced DAB and + services.

I would say don't buy new equipment at the mo, could all change in the next 6 years?

FRE07962128

« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2008, 07:21:03 »

My understanding is that the whole DAB vers FM thing has been put on hold till after the Olympics 2012 now?

DAB has really not taken off in the UK, it also uses part of the Band III radio spectrum which was given to Trunked Radio Network Operaters a few years back (comes from the old Black and White TV Frequency,s).

Theres a lot of Huffing and Puffing between Band 3 Network Operaters, RA, Oftel and the DAB / Broadcast members and the planned EU Radio spectrum for Advanced DAB and + services.

I would say don't buy new equipment at the mo, could all change in the next 6 years?

Thanks for that, but I really am confused on what to do for the best now! :-/ :-/  Shall I buy a DAB unit....shall I not....shall I buy a new unit....shall I not...oh! Bloody hell!! :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Lizzie Zoom :y :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2008, 08:40:55 »

Yes - Buy a DAB   :y

The proposed changes are a long way away, and the government taxes and fuel prices etc will mean that there are no cars around to use it by the time it is finally implemented !!!
www.dndservices.co.uk

FRE07962128

« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2008, 08:54:23 »

The proposed changes are a long way away, and the government taxes and fuel prices etc will mean that there are no cars around to use it by the time it is finally implemented !!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  how right you are :y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2008, 10:51:56 »

But what's wrong with the FM? My radio is fine as it is :-/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2008, 12:46:42 »

!!!!...May be by then we will have Broadband Radio's, so we can capture all the Channels together rectify the signals into DC and run our Cars on Radio Wave Electricity?  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 April 2008, 17:12:55 »

But what's wrong with the FM? My radio is fine as it is :-/

And with a good receiver and aerial its possible to get higher quality reception to.

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2008, 23:09:55 »

For home use a Freeview PVR is probably the best way to get digital radio - I occasionally listen to Radio 6 music
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.