Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will a mini f/l cdr500 play cd-rw's?  (Read 2749 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Will a mini f/l cdr500 play cd-rw's?
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2009, 18:19:29 »

There was a repair guide posted for "lasers that have been damaged by the use of CD-R media", although (unsurprisingly) it's not the laser that gets replaced.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1241901022

Strangely enough if you'd bothered to read the guide you may have picked up on the fact that the laser unit is unavailable hence why the CDC3 swap is the logical way to repair these units.

If you are saying that swapping the CDC3 doesn't swap the laser unit then perhaps you'd care to enlighten me as to how the laser transfers itself into the replacement autochanger?

Maybe you are confused and referring to the Nav drive? That one is easy, I have a box of new laser units for those.
Not confused at all VXL, just feel free to show me where in your guide you are replacing the actual laser rather than the controller (which is limited enough to stop the average home user rectifying a problem the manufacturer created).

The guide shows you how to replace the whole self contained CDC3 Unit, I would have expected that to be plainly obvious..... I don't recall stating in the guide 'how to replace the actual laser'.

This guide should be uncomplicated enough for most people to perform and keeps these rather expensive units useable.

The guide is not how to replace the actual laser unit or any of it's associated controlling circuitry as:-

A) These laser units are not available anymore.
B) To the best of my knowledge (Dave DND please correct me if I am wrong), to set up a laser unit on these would require the use of a scope or other such equipment which your average home DIY'er would not have available to them.

If you feel the guide is of no use to anyone or incorrect in any way then may I suggest you request it be removed, all I simply want to do is help other members (The ethos of this site!).

The calibration details are out of reach of most repair centres, let alone DIYers.   ::)

Its a good comprehensive guide, and I myself have pointed many in its direction

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

KillerWatt

« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2009, 19:12:50 »

Changing the actual optical device and calibrating it correctly is beyond 99% of the people on this forum,
Calibration of a laser is nothing more than a voltage reading or two, but then again given your expertise you'd already know that.

No, you are not replacing the laser on its own, you are replacing the laser, the mech, the drive circuit and in fact everything except the encoder and front fascia.
Contradiction right there Dave.

But then Killerwatt, if you had actually read and digested the guide rather than posting yet another argumentative reply you might have learnt something. This is not the place to start fights, this is the place for us all to get together and help each other. Friendly banter is one thing, and should be encouraged, but constant and confrontational attack is something else - there are other forums for that, not this one. Chill out a bit my friend, there are some very good people on here and they do not need to be antagonised in this way, as I know I for one, am getting a bit tired of this now.
So pointing out factually incorrect advice is confrontational????
Believe what you want Dave.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2009, 19:22:06 »

Killerwatt - the guide you mention about replacing the laser is a guide to change the entire mach, including laser to replace the mech with a failed laser.  It is easier to do that way, and within virtually everyone's capabilities.

Not sure why you don't see that as 'fixing' (by replacement) a failed laser?

Can't see any contradictions in that, but maybe you've read teh guide differently to me, so pipe up if part of the guide is not clear.

:-/
Grumpy old man

KillerWatt

« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2009, 19:33:01 »

Killerwatt - the guide you mention about replacing the laser is a guide to change the entire mach, including laser to replace the mech with a failed laser.  It is easier to do that way, and within virtually everyone's capabilities.

I don't see it as fixing a "failed" laser, primarily because there is no mention of that particular job whatsoever Jaime.
All I see is a controller/servo board being replaced.

If you want mate, I'll quite happily post up the theory of what goes on behind the scenes in a CD player as well as the properties of CD-R's versus pressed silvers, and then everybody can see for themselves what a load of crap it is about CD-R media not making the grade alongside pressed silvers.

PS

Don't you find it quite ironic that Sony (one of the very companies that licenses CD-R media for sale in the UK) actually made & sold pressed silver discs that completely went against the standards for CD-DA? (and yet, the likes of the CCR 2006 still played them).

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2009, 19:35:16 »

Can't see any contradictions in that, but maybe you've read teh guide differently to me, so pipe up if part of the guide is not clear.

:-/

and pipe down if it is

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2009, 20:02:57 »

I don't see it as fixing a "failed" laser, primarily because there is no mention of that particular job whatsoever Jaime.
All I see is a controller/servo board being replaced.

If you want mate, I'll quite happily post up the theory of what goes on behind the scenes in a CD player as well as the properties of CD-R's versus pressed silvers, and then everybody can see for themselves what a load of crap it is about CD-R media not making the grade alongside pressed silvers.

PS

Don't you find it quite ironic that Sony (one of the very companies that licenses CD-R media for sale in the UK) actually made & sold pressed silver discs that completely went against the standards for CD-DA? (and yet, the likes of the CCR 2006 still played them).
The guide is about replacing the entire CD changer for a working one, but using the original I/O controller board from your original one, as that board controls the protocol used (which varies between different headunits) and security coding.  By changing the entire mech, you are also changing the laser, obviously  :-/.  Or is that not clear?

Sony are in a bloody mess - they are one of the largest blank media providers, but also one of the most vocal about CDRs and DVDRs being banned/unallowed.  Some of their kit actually blocks the use of CDRs and DVDRs at the firmware level. Some of their licenced out stuff rebadged by other manufacturers also had this firmware limitation. And the holy mess they got into with some of their rootkit protection schemes begger belief, but shows what a shower of shits they are (as I keep saying constantly).

As previously said time and time again, many older players cannot (or more correctly, are operating outside of their designed spec) read recordable media at the PHYSICAL level - ie, cannot read the pits and lands.  Sony's own audio cd copy protection schemes are done on higher layers. Sony's schemes to date are to prevent the CDs being used in PCs, thus 'dumber' devices are simply able to ignore the extra info, so most players can play these disks without issue.

I will reiterate one last time, CDRs cannot (or cause premature failure of laser unit) be played on older standalone players due to physical differences between CDRs and pressed CDs, causing the laser focusing system to operate outside of their operating parameters.

You may wish to disagree - thats your choice, but I see a fair few of these units now, and I suspect Dave DND sees many more, so we both know these suffer premature laser failure when they have been subjected to prolonged CDR use.  The jury is still out on how much better Verbatim at 1x is, but it is still operating outside of the laser's design spec.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2009, 22:45:01 »

TB, your not a Sony person are you? I think you like them even less than I like BOSE !!!

;D

The Jury is indeed still out on the latest discs / speeds / specs etc, but with so little non compatable stuff still in circulation these days, I don`t think we will ever get a true answer as to whether the problems have been resolved or not. Virtually everything nowadays is CDR/MP3 spec as standard, and will read most CD`s (still with the exception of SACD - never did catch on)
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.