Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to chiptune a omega 2.5 V6  (Read 4000 times)

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
Want to chiptune a omega 2.5 V6
« on: 10 October 2010, 22:56:46 »

Hello, I'm new here do maybe this is a stupid question but I was wondering if any one could tell me how to proceed in order to chiptune a omega. Do you modify the current chip in the car or you replace it with a modified one?

What I think I've realized is that I need a special set of tools to connect the car computer with a computer and also a special mapping program. I assume that the chipset used in omega is defined somewhere which maybe would help me finding out what tools and program I am in need of.
From Java

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Want to chiptune a omega 2.5 V6
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2010, 23:44:05 »

The 2.5 has a ROM based ECU so you have the physically change the chip.

Later cars (2.6 / 3.2) have a flash based ECU which can be reprogrammed in-situ but I'm not aware of any tuning products for this ECU.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2010, 06:04:33 »

Ok, I understand. You don't by any chance know were I could purchase such chips then? I'm only looking for ecochip then, no need for trimchip when you drive a caravan  :)

But it is possible to make own chips I figure but that must be to hard without the right tools, right?
From Java

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2010, 09:53:03 »

the easiest way to increase power on a 2.5 v6 is to fit the 3.0 camshafts,not sure what effect this has on economy though
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2010, 09:53:53 »

Ok, I understand. You don't by any chance know were I could purchase such chips then? I'm only looking for ecochip then, no need for trimchip when you drive a caravan  :)

I have no personal experience but I'm sure plenty on here can advise.

By far the best upgrade for a 2.5 is to fit the cams from a 3 litre engine. :y

But it is possible to make own chips I figure but that must be to hard without the right tools, right?

Yes, in theory. It's only an EPROM so easily programmed. The difficult bit would be reverse-engineering the code to find out where the maps are stored and in what format!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2010, 12:33:13 »

As said before its an Eprom, so best you could do is to pull the Eprom and take a Hex dump of it, thinking thats not going to do you much good unless you have the Map details.

You could try Superchips or Courtenay, but to be honest the cost for new re chip out ways the benifits you would get for a 2.5, you do seem to get slightly improved MPG though, ebay see's some second hand chips now and then, but mainly for the 3.0 lump.

If its power gains your after, then again as said before, 3.0 Cams is the best way to go.

Chris.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2010, 12:36:53 by zirk »

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2010, 15:16:16 »

the easiest way to increase power on a 2.5 v6 is to fit the 3.0 camshafts,not sure what effect this has on economy though

Nice advice, will look into it as well but the main purpose for my "chipping desire" would mainly include the advantage of lower fuel consumption. Of course is the extra horsepowers also a nice plus. But again thanks for the great answers already!  :)

Also, replacing the camshaft, how would that work out? In what way does that increase the power? Is it smaller so it rotates more often?
« Last Edit: 11 October 2010, 17:35:24 by Java »
From Java

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2010, 18:36:03 »

No v6 chips make a worthwhile difference to economy...
Grumpy old man

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2010, 18:47:07 »

Aww that's to bad. I heard about my father in law's brother chiped his car (a 2009 Peugeot something) and that one reduced the consumption with 1 liters per 10 km but that could maybe be bogges... I will look around some for chips and I might get one, hopefully will I get some result. Many thanks tho!
From Java

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2010, 18:51:05 »

Aww that's to bad. I heard about my father in law's brother chiped his car (a 2009 Peugeot something) and that one reduced the consumption with 1 liters per 10 km but that could maybe be bogges... I will look around some for chips and I might get one, hopefully will I get some result. Many thanks tho!
GM have done a pretty good job with economy...  ...I reckon on a cruise, my chip gives me close to 1mpg better, but loses some when accelerating.

On diesels, there are gains to be made with mpg and chips...
Grumpy old man

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2010, 19:20:48 »

What I've found on Swedish sites who are selling and mounting chips fro 2.5 V6 they state:

Opel 2,5 V6      170Hk      +18Hk +28Nm      Skr 3000

3000 Swedish Kronor is appr. £285

Doesn't seem that far fetched, would mean like 10,5% more power I figured. But as you point out TheBoy, maybe it wont do that much in reality.
From Java

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2010, 19:35:45 »

What I've found on Swedish sites who are selling and mounting chips fro 2.5 V6 they state:

Opel 2,5 V6      170Hk      +18Hk +28Nm      Skr 3000

3000 Swedish Kronor is appr. £285

Doesn't seem that far fetched, would mean like 10,5% more power I figured. But as you point out TheBoy, maybe it wont do that much in reality.
The chip I use claims 10%. I doubt it myself. But all that extra power is at high revs, and then it does crucify the mpg....
Grumpy old man

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2010, 19:54:02 »

How much do your car suck on 10 km then TheBoy? I've been following and reseting my data quite a lot and found out that my car consumes 7.9 liters per 10 km.

Lets say that optimal driving would lower the consumption to 7.8 per 10 km that would mean 8 liters on 800 km (a trip to wifes parents) And the cost on V-power is circa 13.5 Sek (£1.28) per liter so that makes roughly counted 100 Sek (£9.45) per trip. Only 30 trips then I start saving money  ;D
From Java

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2010, 20:03:18 »

How much do your car suck on 10 km then TheBoy? I've been following and reseting my data quite a lot and found out that my car consumes 7.9 liters per 10 km.

Lets say that optimal driving would lower the consumption to 7.8 per 10 km that would mean 8 liters on 800 km (a trip to wifes parents) And the cost on V-power is circa 13.5 Sek (£1.28) per liter so that makes roughly counted 100 Sek (£9.45) per trip. Only 30 trips then I start saving money  ;D
Before I LPG'd it, I used to get approx 24-25mpg as an average over several thousand miles. 32mpg on a run.  About the same figures as I got before it was chipped...
Grumpy old man

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2010, 20:27:19 »

That's like 10.2 liters per 10 km if I did the math right. That's a lot I think considering that my car takes almost 30% less ordinary.

Did you attach the chip by yourself?
From Java
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.