Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open window  (Read 3280 times)

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
Open window
« on: 10 November 2010, 11:20:12 »

Has anybody else had this problem?
The rear passenger side window seems to be opening by itself.
Three times since I got the car I have returned to find the window open by about an inch.It was definately closed when I left it. The central locking only works with the key, could this be linked to the problem? Any input is welcome :-/

mantahatch

Re: Open window
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2010, 13:15:02 »

Not had the exact same problem, but I have had issues with a rear window which turned out to be the main switch on the drivers door.

Failing that I would suspect that some damp has got in somewhere and is causing a short which occasionally powers the motor, again suspect switch on either door.

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge will be along soon.

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2010, 13:30:14 »

There is a feature on most cars called Global Open.
What it means is if the interior of the car gets to hot the windows will drop about 1 inch but the car will remain locked.
It can be disabled in your case a tech 2 session may do it, but first you need to find out why yours is activating and why only 1 window does it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2010, 14:14:08 »

What it means is if the interior of the car gets to hot the windows will drop about 1 inch but the car will remain locked.
It can be disabled in your case a tech 2 session may do it, but first you need to find out why yours is activating and why only 1 window does it.

This isn't a feature I've ever found on an Omega. The Alarm/CL ECU can close windows and sunroof, and will do so if you hold the locking button down but I don't believe it can open them for ventilation. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2010, 14:43:46 »

http://www.archersofashby.co.uk/Mondeo/Technology/Global%20Closing/global_closing.htm
Your right about the Omega but other cars have added function's
But if the car has a fault it may just drop a window and I have seen countless number of cars that do just what this car does.
Thats why a Tech 2 session may just locate this fault

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2010, 15:08:47 »

I`m not aware of teh "Global Open" feature on Omega`s, or indeed any other Vauxhall.

I do recall however, that there was some form of water / flood detection feature on Vauxhall cars that woudl open the windows if the car became immersed in water - allowing the occupants to escape. But seem to recall also, that this opened the windows fully, not just one of them a little bit. Worth checking the flood sensor isn`t sat in a pool of water though?

Also, most Vauxhalls are fitted with a form of safety feature that if something is jammed in the top of the window when its closing, ie, kiddies fingers, then the window would drop about an inch to prevent you from injury.

May give a couple of ideas of where to start to look?

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

turboteeth

« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2010, 19:04:09 »

funny you mention that because my rear o/s rear window has just started re-opening as i attemp to close it.
It gets all the way up then opens an inch or 2 so i have to repeatedly "stab" the button to close it  >:( :-[

turboteeth

« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2010, 19:06:32 »

Three times since I got the car I have returned to find the window open by about an inch.It was definately closed when I left it. The central locking only works with the key, could this be linked to the problem? Any input is welcome :-/

stupid question but we are talking electric windows here are we not? :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2010, 19:11:40 »

funny you mention that because my rear o/s rear window has just started re-opening as i attemp to close it.
It gets all the way up then opens an inch or 2 so i have to repeatedly "stab" the button to close it  >:( :-[

your problem is that the glass is tight in the runner/channel, the anti-trap electronics thinks there's a hand or something trapped, hence it going back down a bit. Try lub'ing the channel, silicon spray   :y :y :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2010, 19:21:05 »

your problem is that the glass is tight in the runner/channel, the anti-trap electronics thinks there's a hand or something trapped, hence it going back down a bit. Try lub'ing the channel, silicon spray   :y :y :y

Definately 2nd that one  !!

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2010, 14:13:48 »

I'm getting that problem with the other rear window,I new about the anti-trap system so I'm not too worried about that,I'll try lubing it with silicon.My main concern is the window opening by itself.Thanks for the replies and suggestions.Keep them coming.

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 December 2010, 12:02:48 »

It happened again while the car was parked up. Nobody was near it for 2 days but when I returned the window was down about an inch. Any theories?

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 December 2010, 12:44:38 »

Global open lol...i have heard it all now..yeah let me have the windows open an inch so car crime can rocket...too much sprit at christmas i think.....ACPO would sumersalt with your ideas...lol
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2010, 14:40:56 »

I have had this exact problem, rear passenger window would open about an inch, this went on for about a week. I still have  no idea what caused it, but my solution worked.
I Left all windows open, got out of the car and locked it with the key, holding the key until all the windows were fully closed.
It hasn't happened again since doing this and that was three weeks ago. Might be worth a try.

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2010, 17:41:54 »

I have had this exact problem, rear passenger window would open about an inch, this went on for about a week. I still have  no idea what caused it, but my solution worked.
I Left all windows open, got out of the car and locked it with the key, holding the key until all the windows were fully closed.
It hasn't happened again since doing this and that was three weeks ago. Might be worth a try.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2011, 20:21:46 »

It happened again while the car was parked up. Nobody was near it for 2 days but when I returned the window was down about an inch. Any theories?
It's happening again! This time when I returned to my car the window was fully open.This is not good.Can anybody help?

Vauxdriver

« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2011, 12:09:48 »

Not had the exact same problem, but I have had issues with a rear window which turned out to be the main switch on the drivers door.

Failing that I would suspect that some damp has got in somewhere and is causing a short which occasionally powers the motor, again suspect switch on either door.

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge will be along soon.

I would agree with this, try disconnecting the switch on the rear door, if that don't work try disconnecting the front door switch and see if that cures it.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2011, 12:16:32 »

What holds the window closed?
If there is a problem with some mechanical or electric part for holding the window up it can slide down over time (this is just a common sense presumption).

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2011, 20:11:36 »

If there is a problem with some mechanical or electric part for holding the window up it can slide down over time (this is just a common sense presumption).
I have tried pulling the window down but it is solid.I think I'll go with vauxdrivers suggestion and check out the switches.Thanks to all for taking the time to reply

steviehp1

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2011, 00:23:12 »

i have had this before, dont know why but i cured it by resetting the "total closure " programme. to do this, send the offending window fully open, then close the window with the close button but HOLD THE BUTTON IN CLOSE POSITION UNTILL WINDOW CLOSED BUT KEEP THE BUTTON HELD CLOSED FOR A FURTHER 5 SECONDS, a slight click will be heard. then operate the window as normal, open then close. hey presto, problem solved.  :y

jock.p

• West Lothian
    • 2002 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2011, 12:00:06 »

i have had this before, dont know why but i cured it by resetting the "total closure " programme. to do this, send the offending window fully open, then close the window with the close button but HOLD THE BUTTON IN CLOSE POSITION UNTILL WINDOW CLOSED BUT KEEP THE BUTTON HELD CLOSED FOR A FURTHER 5 SECONDS, a slight click will be heard. then operate the window as normal, open then close. hey presto, problem solved.  :y
I've done this but no click. I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.Once again thanks for the input.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2011, 12:13:10 »

I have tried pulling the window down but it is solid.I think I'll go with vauxdrivers suggestion and check out the switches.Thanks to all for taking the time to reply

I would also try unplugging the window switches in order to rule them out

:-/
www.dndservices.co.uk

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2011, 23:50:07 »

Have not seen this on Omega yet but have encountered broken wires in loom going to rear doors on Zafira and Astra. Caused by repeated opening & closing on pass rear door where child seat usually is. Insulation gets brittle and cracks causing wires to short. Can cause all sort of weird things to happen. Would unplug door and have a look just to rule it out at any rate.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.