Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm going off!  (Read 2624 times)

robbie j

• Derby
    • View Profile
Alarm going off!
« on: 11 December 2011, 16:46:36 »

Had a new battery fitted to the car, but now have a new prob.  After locking the car on the fob everything is fine for about 12-18 hours, then the alarm goes off, usually in the small hours!

Is the problem to do with something in the alarm system?  Wouldn't have thought it could be the juice in the battery getting low since it's a new GM battery and the tell tale light is green.  Having the alternator checked tomorrow just to make sure it's working as it should and charging the battery up ok.

If it is something to do with the alarm (sensor??). Is it possible to diable the alarm but retain the central locking?

Look forward to your expert assistance as before.

Robbie j :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm going off!
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2011, 16:51:06 »

Disconnect bonnet switch, see if it reoccurs. Or pop over to Marks DTM Calib, and he'll tell you why its going off
Grumpy old man

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2011, 17:19:06 »

If not the bonnet switch, probably a powersounder problem.

To keep it quiet until you fix it, you can secure the car by making sure you have your keys in your hand, close all doors apart from rear offside. Reach in and lock driver's door from inside. All doors will now lock. Final check that you have your keys in your hand and close the rear offside door.

Car now locked, but alarm not armed. Unlock with fob in usual manner.

Good luck. My powersounder was disconnected / removed to allow me and neighbours peaceful sleep. If alarm does go off, it has a road horn beside the powersounder that will activate.

If you serach the site, you'll see horror stories of powersounders that have caught fire, destroying owner's pride and joy.

robbie j

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2011, 17:54:55 »

Thanks for that Paddy.  Just locked the car as you suggested - no probs!

What sort of money are we looking at to fix the powersounder?  (just need a guide price. Now that I'm retired, have to budget!!!).

Regards

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2011, 18:42:45 »

Thanks for that Paddy.  Just locked the car as you suggested - no probs!

What sort of money are we looking at to fix the powersounder?  (just need a guide price. Now that I'm retired, have to budget!!!).

Regards
£0. Bin it ;)
Grumpy old man

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2011, 19:57:53 »

Agreed.

Disconnect it ( lots of advice on here if you search ) and bin it.

A matter for yourself if you replace it with new.

Technically and I mean technically, it could affect any insurance claim that involves the alarm, as you have altered the factory standard fitment.

As I say, a matter for yourself.

If it's faulty, it may still go off tonight even though you did rear door locking procedure....... I hope it doesn't !

Brucie1946

« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2011, 20:32:12 »

Water dripping onto plug that plugs into powersounder is the problem, stupid place to put it under the scuttle drain.

Remove powersounder, put the plug into a surgical glove finger, and seal up with a cable tie.

Dean

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2011, 08:48:18 »

Water dripping onto plug that plugs into powersounder is the problem, stupid place to put it under the scuttle drain.

Remove powersounder, put the plug into a surgical glove finger, and seal up with a cable tie.

Dean
Doh, and there was silly old me thinking it was the basic charging system, and the way it acts when the powersounder batteries get tired, causing them to vent their load everywhere ::)

;)
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2011, 11:23:52 »

Dean
Doh, and there was silly old me thinking it was the basic charging system, and the way it acts when the powersounder batteries get tired, causing them to vent their load everywhere ::)

;)

Don`t feel too bad TB, looks like I was wrong as well then -  ::)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2011, 12:08:30 »

Dean

Highly not recommend, several cases reported on here of them catching fire.

Bin it. 

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2011, 12:18:07 »

If the powersounder is faulty, and yes, they do go wrong over time

Just replace it . . . . And your system will then function as Vauxhall intended.

I never quite understand the constant bellyaching of the members on here regarding this issue. Yes, they fail, yes, if you ignore the warning signs of failure it can be a fire risk. yes, if you remove it, your insurance is invalid. Yes, you can replace the internal batteries if you cut it open and the board is not damaged by the leaking acid of the failed batteries, and you can seal it up again afterwards.

But, around £60 for a new one, 10 mins with a spanner, and jobs a good un . . .

Just get on with it.

www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2011, 12:23:23 »

Dean

Highly not recommend, several cases reported on here of them catching fire.

Bin it. 

Think Dean means the plug thats left behind in the car.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2011, 13:15:54 »

If the powersounder is faulty, and yes, they do go wrong over time

Just replace it . . . . And your system will then function as Vauxhall intended.

I never quite understand the constant bellyaching of the members on here regarding this issue. Yes, they fail, yes, if you ignore the warning signs of failure it can be a fire risk. yes, if you remove it, your insurance is invalid. Yes, you can replace the internal batteries if you cut it open and the board is not damaged by the leaking acid of the failed batteries, and you can seal it up again afterwards.

But, around £60 for a new one, 10 mins with a spanner, and jobs a good un . . .

Just get on with it.

100% agreement here ... :)

The powersounder batteries are getting on for at least 10 years old or a lot more on these cars, you would not expect any other battery to last over 10 years with no maintenance.. so .. when it beeps, replace it. It's called "running costs" of owning a decent car.

:)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2011, 14:30:06 »

Why bother replacing it?

1) Omegas are worth sod all, so very unlikely to get nicked to sell on. If you are targeted, they will just get keys!
2) The security is good enough to make the crappy fiesta an easier target to get the thief home, if not using the key
3) Given the quality of parts lately from Vx, its unlikey the replacement will be as good.
4) The alarm still goes off when an attempted theft is made.
5) Makes replacing a battery a whole lot easier without that stupid thing going off
6) Given age of the Omega, do you really think an insurance provider would look for a power sounder? I doubt it, besides, it was like that when I bought it?  ::)

Spend that £60 on some oil!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2011, 14:46:26 »

Why bother replacing it?

1) Omegas are worth sod all, so very unlikely to get nicked to sell on. If you are targeted, they will just get keys!
2) The security is good enough to make the crappy fiesta an easier target to get the thief home, if not using the key
3) Given the quality of parts lately from Vx, its unlikey the replacement will be as good.
4) The alarm still goes off when an attempted theft is made.
5) Makes replacing a battery a whole lot easier without that stupid thing going off
6) Given age of the Omega, do you really think an insurance provider would look for a power sounder? I doubt it, besides, it was like that when I bought it?  ::)

Spend that £60 on some oil!

Actually, Yes !  They do. I spend quite a lot of time with insurance assessors these days, (I often act as an independant consultant where badly installed large audio systems have created a fire risk) and they virtually all have a small check list of soppy things to look for, to wriggle out of paying up. If your powersounder is missing, the it falls fowl of the regulations put into force "around 1995" between the MIRRC and THATCHAM and would mean that your car no longer complies with the legislation allowing the car to be in the country in the first place. (Somehwere buried in the constructions and use and UK Compliance if you really wanted a boring read)

Whilst I agree that the powersounder will do little these days to deter theft, its worth the £60 just to stop any grief should you ever need to validate your policy.

:-X
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.